ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fair play to the Clio...

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
The last few days, we've been hit with the snow and ice - worst it's been up here for driving, I'd say. I've used the 182 every day and it hasn't put a foot wrong. Ok, the ESP light goes mental at some points, as the wheels are scrabbling for every inch of grip they can, but at least it's all working and doing it's job, and it doesn't take long before the car is tootling along again. When I had the M3 and even the WR1, the snow and ice was a nightmare. Even getting out of the cul-de-sac where I live could be awful at times, with the back wheels just spinning and the SMG difficult to tame. On the road down to where I work, the WR1 completely lost it's grip on the road, and was sliding sideways towards the river which sits opposite our building. The 4WD kicked in, eventually, mind. So the Clio sits at the bottom of that list of most desirable cars, but it can be so much more fun, far easier to control at times and so much easier to get back once the rear end decides to twitch.

The little guy has done well. Better than I expected.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I just lower my tyre pressures a bit and its all good

Haha, quite. But I just want to get in the car and drive it, without going around and tweaking things to make sure it works for a given condition. Saying that, the coilovers are probably helping.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Mine's useless in the snow, but it's all self inflicted. The splitter's an inch from the ground and the suspension's rock hard.

The 133, on the other hand, is a f*cking riot!

How was the WR1 s**t in the snow? My (lesser powered :eek:) poobaru was ace and could get literally anywhere.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
The 133, on the other hand, is a f*cking riot!

Lol, I bet mate! Really impressed with the 182 last night and this morning too, better than my fiesta was!

Whats it like snow wise in the NW btw mate? I'm meant to be heading up to Manchester this weekend but can't see it happening!

1998 BMW e46 323i
My 172 is shite in snow, ok in ice I guess. Tyres are too wide and suspension too firm for snow. Couldnt even get off my drive one day last year. Skinny tyres and softer suspension is the way forward for snow.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Lol, I bet mate! Really impressed with the 182 last night and this morning too, better than my fiesta was!

Whats it like snow wise in the NW btw mate? I'm meant to be heading up to Manchester this weekend but can't see it happening!

Minor roads are playgrounds, but the rest is clear. You'll be fine this side of the Pennines.

Yeah, the 133 is epic fun. I went through this old industrial estate on the way home last night to avoid traffic. Maybe.

I'll say as much as it'll recover from a 90 degree angle in corners. :eek:

320d
My 172 was hopeless in the snow. All it did was develop a suspension knock in the snow last winter. My mx5 on the other hand is epic, goes sideways on demand and is so easy to control. It doesn't break either.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
My 172 was hopeless in the snow. All it did was develop a suspension knock in the snow last winter. My mx5 on the other hand is epic, goes sideways on demand and is so easy to control. It doesn't break either.

Want.

tiTTy & SV650
15" of snow here, my clios sat at home keeping my parking space for me.

It's alright because it can pull away in 2nd gear, but on an incline it struggles to get moving like anything would. My old 205gti's were a riot in the snow, no power steering, no abs, no traction control etc just lots of feel.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Cheers Chris, Reading > Preston > Manc > St.Helens. Going to be a fun day :boring:

Glad to see you've finally got one Brett, awesome!

Stripped yozza'd cup
15" of snow here, my clios sat at home keeping my parking space for me.

It's alright because it can pull away in 2nd gear, but on an incline it struggles to get moving like anything would. My old 205gti's were a riot in the snow, no power steering, no abs, no traction control etc just lots of feel.

Which is why everyone shouldbuy a cup :)

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
How was the WR1 s**t in the snow? My (lesser powered :eek:) poobaru was ace and could get literally anywhere.

It wasn't bad, really. Just that one incident where the wheels locked up completely on the ice. Steered out of it. 380bhp didn't help, much, TBF.

tiTTy & SV650
Which is why everyone shouldbuy a cup :)

Enduro bike with or without mods gets my vote:

ktm.jpg

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I was basically going to post exactly this thread Scutchio.

Although mine is much like 'tophers, splitter an inch off the floor (so it is Sidcup's unofficial snow plough) but it's been brilliant, done quite some miles in it too!

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

Although mine is much like 'tophers, splitter an inch off the floor (so it is Sidcup's unofficial snow plough) but it's been brilliant, done quite some miles in it too!

Mine sits reet low, but the front splitter isn't that close to the ground, mind.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep

Mine was fine last year .. Paradas and the splitter a gnats testicle from the cold stuff.
Yours did well yesterday, boyo. Thanks again... :cheers:

I'm LOVING this weather. 4wd & >400Nm of torque = epic fun everywhere !

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Mine was fine last year .. Paradas and the splitter a gnats testicle from the cold stuff.
Yours did well yesterday, boyo. Thanks again... :cheers:

I'm LOVING this weather. 4wd & >400Nm of torque = epic fun everywhere !

No problem mate, I'll be down soon for beers and computor gamez :D.... would rather be blatting about in your motor at the moment though.

Giulietta 940

Fancy making a trip to Eltham? Roads are bad there :p

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Haven't seen any recent pics of your car mate.

he doesnt ive far from me and i still aint seen it...

/Fail Cumbrian

My 172 Moved twice since the snow, im just using the landrover :cool:

RenaultSport Clio 172 FF
My 172 was shite last year, probably due to the fact I had cheepo tyres. I had to resort to using my mums old Nissan Sunny (bad times)

This year its a different story, I have better tyres and its going every where no problem.

Motorbikes
Funny that, our workshop controller says his 172 Cup is awful in the snow.

On the otherhand, I've been overtaking 4x4s in my wee Eunos through the snow.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Yeah its really good mate, finally got one! What part of St Helens you going to?

Excellent mate, know you've been after one for a while. Pics needed!

I'm just going to be near the town centre bud, just visiting family for the night.

The 200 has been absolutely spot on this year, touch wood it's not got stuck yet even on some pretty steep hills. The 172 was utterly useless last time round though, but as the rest said lower/stiffer suspension etc.

Trophy Turbo :)
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid21.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fb255%2FAndyrg%2FIMG_0145.mp4">

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I love how some folk are saying its s**t in the snow and others saying its not bad.

Being able to drive in adverse weather > Blaming the car

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
My 182 is a much different proposition to the old 172Cup...172Cup, you had to drive smoother/better...with the 182, just boot it and let the 'toys' do the work!