ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Experience with the 1.6??

1.2 2003 clio
Hi there guys, just looking for some reviews of the 1.6 16v mk2 clios.
Basically I have the 1.2 version which being a typical lad have spent a bit of money and time on parts such as wheels trims grill and various interior bits and am now pleased with how the car looks. Recently tho I have been spending on maintaining it more and more first ball joints then drive shaft cv joint went and various other bits, and now an oil leak so think it might be time for a change.
The reason for thinking of the 1.6 is that the prices are pretty good and insurance is only a little more than it is for the 1.2 for me (unfortunately the sports are a huge chunk more). And I'd like to also transfer all the parts so will look the exact same as it does now. Overall I wouldn't loose out on much money this way.
So was really just looking for some advice on them as I am pretty capable of maintaining / fixing my clio is there anything to look out for apart from the usual belt changes etc??

e92 330i
I had a 1.6 mk2 for 3 years. Really enjoyed driving it. Nippy enough for town and motorway. Look out for a well spec'd one, mine had factory xenons and climate. I think the belt change on the k4m isn't cheap, I had it done a year ago by dan519 and it was £400. They also come up fair cheap now, I don't think you'll be disappointed

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
I've had 2 1.6's as well.

In my opinion they are a nice 'inbetween' car if you want to step up to a sport one day, I also enjoyed driving mine and can't remember having any major problems, you'll probably find there are quite a few on here who have owned them.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I think the belt change on the k4m isn't cheap, I had it done a year ago by dan519 and it was £400.

Not cheap at all, we charge £420 for them now with the VAT. That's genuine parts and with a water pump and aux belt kit. If it's a dephaser variant that bumps sit to £620. Renault have it on fixed price for around £380 but that doesn't include for the water pump which personally speaking, I think you must be smoking crack to not change seeing as it's the biggest cause of timing belt failures on the K4J/K4M platform.

The K4M is the general work horse unit and they are really versatile to no matter how you want to drive the thing. It's just that belt service! We put loads right after poor £250 changes and in true Renault fashion, they're even trickier in some cases that the F4R's to setup unless you have the correct setting plate for the cam pulleys.

Mick

MK3 Sport Tourer TCE
I had a 1.6 Mk2 for a while, although it was the 5dr privilege with the nasty beige interior.

Felt like a rocket after driving a 1.2, would definitely recommend as a stepping stone on the way to a renaultsport.

I can only mirror whats been said above, I quite enjoyed both of my 1.6's, nice little upgrade from a 1.2, especially if you have all the parts you can transfer over.

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Bought a 1.6 a week ago and have been using it as a daily. Best decision I've made in a long time. Apart from the fact I made an absolute killing(price wise) on a 30k/FSH black 3 door. It runs steady at 39mpg and drives like it's come straight from the factory.

Best part is there's still 1.6s listed for around £700-1400 with just 60,000 miles on the clock. If mines anything to go by its worth it. That belt price is steep though, wouldn't mind doing it for mine though

1.2 2003 clio
Thanks for the responses guys think that's made my mind up will get looking for one over this summer, and yeah the belts was one that I expected but might be able to pick one up with a recent change if I'm lucky.
Will be a lot better as I do a fair few motorway miles now so the 1.2 is getting a bit of a hammering, just didn't want to loose the looks and start again by buying something completely different.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Funnily enough we took a phone call this afternoon from a guy who has a K4M powered Megane CC that just cut out.

It came, I saw, it had no compression. Belt was only changed two weeks ago lolz

"They're easy" - "They"

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
We had one for a while specced up with all the options, i loved it until it had its belt changed, didnt realise at the time it was a similar setup to the 172, got the local garage to do it with genuine parts but never ran properly after that, was definately down on power, cracking wee engine though!