ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EPAS on 172 Cup

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Hehe so am I - I just borrowed a soldering iron, stripped half an inch of insulation from the switched 12v cable on the back of the ignition switch, stripped 2 inches of the end of the thin wire going to the EPAS - wrapped it around the bare part of the 12v cable, held the soldering iron under it until the whole thing heated up, fed some solder into it and then stuck some heat wrap over the whole lot. It's not the most professional finish in the world but a soldered joint is a lot more resilient to vibrations

I'll try your method instead. Did you use the same method for all the little wires? As on the others I've used these -

Nah on the other wires I used the same as you - I've found those when crimped tight and heat shrunk are really good. Plus I cable tied them all up to the existing dash loom so they don't rattle around.

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Nah on the other wires I used the same as you - I've found those when crimped tight and heat shrunk are really good. Plus I cable tied them all up to the existing dash loom so they don't rattle around.

Didn't realise you heat shrinked these. I'm awful at this wiring business

LOL if they're a solid plastic (blue, red, yellow) etc then you don't - but if they're like a soft rubber like the ones you posted above if you stick a lighter under them they heat shrink :)

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Cheers for your help Phil. I'll try and solder the 12v feed tonight and see what happens. Cross fingers!!

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Right, re-soldered the 12v wire and still no luck! When I turn on the ignition it still doesn't click. But power is supplied to each connection. So the 12v does work. Stuck in the mud. Gonna punch the car in a min :-(

Silly question probably but you have wired the little box of tricks in correctly? I remember I think a black wire which had to be connected to a positive (I just assumed it was an earth as it was black)

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Yes triple checked them, but I think I've found the issue! I'm running a 30 amp fuse. So the unit isn't getting enough amperage!!! School boy error

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Has the fuse blown? If not it won't be an issue i'm afraid :( you have done the big earth cable in the same gauge wire as the positive yeah?

No it hasn't blown, yes the earth is the same gauge. I've just read on the Internet that the fuse needs to allow enough amperage through for the unit it needs to run?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I think the fuse would have gone if it wasn't up to atleast the clicking job. I used a 60A fuse in mine. Should be near the battery like in the below photo.

That splice connector is what I have used to connect up my 12v ignition.

Just to make sure, you have the white from the control box as a ground. Just been out and taken a couple of pics for you to compare to. Lucky my dash is off!

null_zps91c60161.jpg
null_zpsf0444697.jpg
null_zpsb2d833a9.jpg

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Cheers for your help guys. I've wired all the connections as the guide says. I'll try changing the fuse to a 60amp. I've also spliced the red cable running from the battery to the ECU to the old wire that clips into the ECU. That could also have an issue as Maplins said its only rated to 48amp. Will try these points tomorrow. If it still doesn't work it's going to be an issue with the column itself, was sold as good working condition on eBay but you never know!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I also spliced onto the old cable which came out of the ECU plug. There's a fair bit of copper in the original. The amp rating is based on how long the wire is from the positive to the ground so I'm confident that it's 100% up to the job.

My only other though can be the ecu is dead.

I'd come over and help if you weren't such an age away!

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
I live in the middle of nowhere! Lol. I'll try the fuse tomorrow. If it doesn't work I'll ask my mate if he can borrow me his ECU from his DCi. Are they a known fault in the DCi's do you know?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Not that I've heard of. If it was I'd like to think it would be a recall due to danger of "track steering" suddenly.

No seriously, it wasn't one of the things on my huge list of common faults when I was buying a DCI.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Second hand but as a pair from the same car. I spent the difference between the second hand cost and new cost on getting a Wayne Rooney hair transplant, 10K or so ;)

GSXR + KDX220
Silly question but have you actually rotated the control knob clockwise a bit? i.e. to turn it on?

I think that if its in the fully off position, it won't click the ECU on!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I thought it clicked whatever the weather. Someone else will have to check that though as I'm batteryless at the moment

GSXR + KDX220
Mine doesn't. Just tried it....

Ign OFF, knob fully anticlockwise
Ign ON, no EPAS clicks after any amount of time
Turn knob clockwise a little
EPAS ECU loud click ;)

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Silly question but have you actually rotated the control knob clockwise a bit? i.e. to turn it on?

I think that if its in the fully off position, it won't click the ECU on!

Yep, turned each way, still no go :-( power does come to the terminals fine though. Feeling more likely that its a dodgy ECU

GSXR + KDX220
Ok, one less potential issue, thought I'd better point it out incase it was that simple :)

Its sounding like the ECU yes. When you switch the ign on, does the control know then get power to it?
I guess there is a relay inside the ECU, which is the click that should be heard? Must be a duff. Is there any sign of water damage?

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
When the ignition is off all the little wires in the eBay kit have no power in them. When I turn the ignition on they have power in them. No it looks tidy, no visible damage

GSXR + KDX220
Must be the relay then as you say, so long as the wiring is all ok which no doubt you've checked umpteen times by now lol!

The main +'ve and -'ve are wired the correct way round to the original wires aren't they? I'm not sure if this matters or not though....

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Must be the relay then as you say, so long as the wiring is all ok which no doubt you've checked umpteen times by now lol!

The main +'ve and -'ve are wired the correct way round to the original wires aren't they? I'm not sure if this matters or not though....

Matched to the colours in the guide you mean? Yes they have.

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Well I fitted the 60 amp fuse same as the others have, rechecked everything and still not firing up. Opened the ECU up and it had a little burn mark in one place. Will be sending it back I think. Also the column has slight play in it when you hold the steering wheel and rock it side to side, worn a bit? Do the X65 columns do this?

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
s**t. Sounds like you got them off a very old car if the rack has play in it and the ecu has gone bang :(

The column and ECU was off an 01 car. So yeah I do agree its probably done some work.

The rack was off a 05 car which had only covered 54k. The sticker is still on it. That's in good nick.

I phoned renparts today, going to get another column and ECU. She is giving me a call back to see if she has any without the wiring been cut

Ball ache! Lol

Ahhh that sucks.

Luckily I'm only 40mins from Renparts so I drove over there and picked my column/ecu and rack out from a bunch. The first DCi rack I tried was crunchy as hell so I cherry picked what I found was the best.

It's a bit awkward over mail order :(

Just realised I wasn't far from you at the weekend, girlfriends family are from near Wrexham. We'll have to organise an Anglesey day in the spring :D

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Ahhh that sucks.

Luckily I'm only 40mins from Renparts so I drove over there and picked my column/ecu and rack out from a bunch. The first DCi rack I tried was crunchy as hell so I cherry picked what I found was the best.

It's a bit awkward over mail order :(

Just realised I wasn't far from you at the weekend, girlfriends family are from near Wrexham. We'll have to organise an Anglesey day in the spring :D

I'm determined to get it sorted :). Yeah only 30mins away from Wrexham. The Mrs lives in Llay so I go there quite a bit. Yes definitely mate, would be good. :)

Got diverted through there on Saturday due to the floods lol

Hope you get it sorted mate, if you ever need anything big from renparts and wanna save on the postage just drop me a PM as I can drive past them on the way to Wales and I'm over nearly every month ;)

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Got diverted through there on Saturday due to the floods lol

Hope you get it sorted mate, if you ever need anything big from renparts and wanna save on the postage just drop me a PM as I can drive past them on the way to Wales and I'm over nearly every month ;)

Cheers for the offer, I'll keep that in mind. Yeah should get it sorted quite quickly. Will remove the faulty one tomorrow. Just been unlucky I suppose. Did you fit the heat shield back over the rack after installing the DCI rack? Is it needed if you don't have fluid any more?

GSXR + KDX220
Does the column definitely have play? I only ask as if you rock it quickly backwards and forwards in only small amounts it does feel slightly odd because of the motor and its resistance (which obviously you dont get on a normal PAS system) but when driving it still moves the rack/wheels instantly. I know you cant test this at the moment....

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Does the column definitely have play? I only ask as if you rock it quickly backwards and forwards in only small amounts it does feel slightly odd because of the motor and its resistance (which obviously you dont get on a normal PAS system) but when driving it still moves the rack/wheels instantly. I know you cant test this at the moment....

Yes, can visibly see the column move. I don't turn the wheel, keep it stationary but rock it left to right

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Well got a new column and ECU on the way. Hopefully will be with me tomorrow. Only covered 33k. Cross fingers on this one. Lol.