ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EOS 500D vs 50D

Bus w**ker
Much of a likeness in spec TBH. Suppose it depends on your budget and whether you want to be able to record HD video or not.

I'd personally opt for the 500D, but that's personal preference.

Oil Burner
50d is a semi-pro (prosumer) camera, 500d is a consumer camera.

They are aimed at different markets. For taking still images the 50d is the better camera.

Oil Burner
Interesting, i believe they both use the same 15.1 mp sensor and digic 4 image processor

The 500d is designed to be one up from the entry level in canons current range, the 50d is designed to be one down from a pro camera.

Just ask anyone if the 400d/450d was a patch on the 40d.

Im fairly sure i didnt feel massively short changed when i moved to the 40d.

Are you the same guy who was selling a 350d then asking for a new one the next day?

Megane
I sold my camera, needed one, didn't get one so borrowed one, now going to get one of the above for my original purpose, it is difficult to explain here

1.2 Dynamique billabong
I would pick an XXD range over an XXXD any day, purely because of the build quality, with a magnesium body compared to a plastic one of the XXXD range they just feel much more solid and the switch gear is more substantial

Cupra
depends on the size of your hands. I much prefer the xxD bodies to hold and use than the xxxD.

On paper there is not much in it, unless you want to record video or need the faster frame rate which could swing it one way or the other. Buy a nikon. :)

Cupra
^^ for me, the micro AF adjustment amd higher res screen would make the 50D worth it. I have forced myself not to pixel peep any more instead!

dk

911 GTS Cab
I would pick an XXD range over an XXXD any day, purely because of the build quality, with a magnesium body compared to a plastic one of the XXXD range they just feel much more solid and the switch gear is more substantial
indeed, having had my 50d for a while now, i picked up my 350d to give to my dad for his holiday the other day. I couldn't believe how light and less sturdy it felt, great starter cameras but the XXd really does feel a lot different and i personally wouldn't go back now.

50d is a wicked camera, think i'm the only one on here with one but i would fully recommend it, not touched the 500d but even though it has the same stats (except speed i think) it will feel cheaper, when they are similar in cost.

The video thing on slr's is a gimmic, no-one is using it massively as predicted, its maybe a 'nice' feature to have to say that you have it but, leave the video for the video cameras or the pro's who can spend hours setting up shots with different lenses and then hours editing it afterwards, not my idea of fun.

dk

911 GTS Cab
neither, 40D makes much more sense
why does it, its not as good, only thing on its side is cost, but thats because its not as good.

if budget didn't stretch to the 50d then the 40d is a great camera, but if you can afford the 50d its the better option.

dk

911 GTS Cab
this is a good site for this sort of question
http://forums.dpreview.com

from there though the main differences are:

1. vastly better viewfinder
2. Metal body not plastic
3. Higher capacity battery - seems to last forever
4. Larger buffer
5. Top lcd panel - found this really useful
6. Rear adj wheel
7. Kelvin adj for white balance
8. 1/3 iso increments
9. Shutter speeds to 1/8000
10. much faster burst rate
11. better AF

why does it, its not as good, only thing on its side is cost, but thats because its not as good.

if budget didn't stretch to the 50d then the 40d is a great camera, but if you can afford the 50d its the better option.

not worth the extra cash which is a significant amount these days.

40D is better at higher ISO's because it does not use as much NR, the 50D's sensor out resolves most cheap end lenses.

£570 Vs £815 for the body only.