ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine tapping/knocking

Looking for 182
Hi all,

I swear all I do on these forums is post problems. I have a very bad feeling this noise could be bad, knowing my luck it will be.

It sounds like it is coming from the engine, in fact I'm certain it is. I can hear it when driving in the car, and when sitting idle it is tapping.

Any ideas?

[youtube]Jy1teWk1UH8[/youtube]

Evo 8 MR
That sounds like wilky's valver @ RSTuning last November, was rattling it's tits off.

That was due to running it dry!

Coupe/Defender V8
my guess would be the same. Defo get it checked out as it could become quite expensive rather quickly if it goes

Looking for 182
NWPerformance said lifters via PM as well. I hope so as they don't seem serious. Will get it to a garage on Monday.

So on the list we have dephaser pulley an lifters.

Sorry for yet another problem thread.

Clio 182 arctic
NWPerformance said lifters via PM as well. I hope so as they don't seem serious. Will get it to a garage on Monday.

ha, good 1, cambelt off job again bud, you have just bought a new kit for that new engine havent you?

ITB'd MK1
never seen lifters go on an F4R. Heard it claimed, but they dont really work in a way they can "go". De-phaser sounds likely. could be incorrectly fitted belt

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
That sounds like wilky's valver @ RSTuning last November, was rattling it's tits off.

That was due to running it dry!

does abit like how mine went. but mine didn't sound as bad as that but did get steadly worse the more it was left.

have you checked to see if there are any filings in the oil

@st3ve

should have heard it when i got home and had to move the car on the drive. sounded like the engine was gargling with a socket set

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi

Hard to say what it really is, i only said Lifters as someone mentioned it to me, as i get the same noise, yet i have just had a full cambelt + dephaser pulley changed, so its a puzzle,

Does the car feel any different when you drive it?

could be incorrectly fitted belt

Not a chance.

Nick, as per the other threads reference rattling exhaust shield / wobbly gear selector - I am in your area tmrw (visiting the grandparents in Eastbourne), I have PM'd you my number - drop me a call and I will come and have a look at the car myself, try and save all this guess work!

Looking for 182
Yeah I very much doubt this is a result of anything JMS have done, those guys did an awesome job getting my car running again.

Tom I can't tell you how much I appreciate the offer but my GF wants to go to the zoo today!! Haha.

I'll get it to the local garage on Monday and see what they say. I thought it was worth posting this first incase the noise made it clear what it was.

Cheers

Looking for 182
Righty ho, I have a bit more info:

- Tapping is present from start up, it's not that loud to start but is as loud as it gets within about 20-30 seconds
- It come coming from the left hand side of the engine, around the area where all the belts are
- The tapping gets louder and faster with revs
- It doesn't appear to be a consistent tapping, as in it isn't perfect timing (hope that makes sense).

From listening to a few other videos on here after search 'Dephaser Pulley' I'm not convinced this is the problem for me.

So, any further ideas before I get this to a garage? Most importantly, is it ok to drive do you think?

Tell your missus the zoo's shut ffs.

A hangover caused me to cancel the zoo visit last week so there is no way I'm going through the same hell that caused again.

Looking for 182
Worth mentioning that the slight buzzing noise in the video I have worked out is the engine cover, which I'll be taking off when I get a torx screwdriver thingy.

It's just the knocking/tapping I'm trying to fix :)

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I cant actually believe you would prefer to go see rhino's f**king each other than have Tom look over your car.

You deserve for it to break

Looking for 182
I cant actually believe you would prefer to go see rhino's f**king each other than have Tom look over your car.

You deserve for it to break

They didn't even have sex in the end. I did see a prolapsing Ostrich though.

I'm going to see JMS tomorrow :)

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Glad you got it sorted mate. Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy your motor for a while now...