ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine talk

Clio mk1 rally :P
ok...

now my mk1 1.2 engine is basically dead... was told about £500 to repair.
so my idea is to get another engine... and replace.

if i get the exact same engine.. will i need to tell insurers?

and if i want to get a bigger (say 1.4/1.8 8v/16v) what are the things i need to do
(other upgrades)
do i have to register the car somehow? or what.... (im a newb)

please give as much detail as possible thanks
:)

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
you would have to tell the DVLA, and get a new logbook,
and declair it on the insurance,

what part of your engines dead??

most comon engine to put in a mk1 is a valver,
but this is ALOT of work, engine, loom, gearbox, ecu,
everything

and tbh, unless the shell is in mint condition, or you have some other reason for keeping it,

it would be cheaper to buy a clio valver, when you add the labour to change an entire engine, and by calling yourself a newb, i dont suppose your going to be up for doing it yourself,

good luck tho if you decide to,

also, for a valver engine, you need a new bonnet and wings i believe,
what condition is the shell in??
has the car had any crashes??
there are a lot of valver engines in scrappies if your seriously look at doing it,

as for putting another 1.2 engine in, (or 1.4) it would be easer to just buy another one

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
sorry to go on,
but has the garage accually taken the egine apart??

im guessing the quote is for the cambelt??
(im bored and nosey yes)

if so, its worth having a look before writing the engine off,

i fixed my clio when the cambelt snapped for 350

yeah i know probably easier to buy another.
buy shell is mint. and has all my unique touches.

the cambelt snapped while driving so apparently the valves and pistons are dameged

unfortunately i wont get insured on a valver cuz im only 20..
:(

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i noticed you started taking it apart,
have you taken a look at the valves yet?

my cambelt snapped doing 40,
only bent 4 valves, pistons were all fine,

so id defs say have a look first, may be cheap to fix,

M

mini-valver

you would have to tell the DVLA, and get a new logbook,
and declair it on the insurance,

what part of your engines dead??

most comon engine to put in a mk1 is a valver,
but this is ALOT of work, engine, loom, gearbox, ecu,
everything

and tbh, unless the shell is in mint condition, or you have some other reason for keeping it,

it would be cheaper to buy a clio valver, when you add the labour to change an entire engine, and by calling yourself a newb, i dont suppose your going to be up for doing it yourself,

good luck tho if you decide to,

also, for a valver engine, you need a new bonnet and wings i believe,
what condition is the shell in??
has the car had any crashes??
there are a lot of valver engines in scrappies if your seriously look at doing it,

as for putting another 1.2 engine in, (or 1.4) it would be easer to just buy another one

You dont need a bonnet or wings at all. Engines are peanuts and if you get a complete conversion, well, you're laughing. Unbolt the old and bolt back in the new. Have a go yourself, half the fun is doing it.

As for staright swapping an engine, absolute doddle. Make sure you change the belts and oils before you put it in though.

You only need to declare an engine swap if its a different capacity.

yeah had a problem getting crankshaft pulley off (still on there)
i dont know that much about engines. but i have 3 years of engineering under my belt so want to give it ago..
how easy is it to check pistons and valves? any special tools needed?

i noticed you started taking it apart,
have you taken a look at the valves yet?

my cambelt snapped doing 40,
only bent 4 valves, pistons were all fine,

so id defs say have a look first, may be cheap to fix,

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
You dont need a bonnet or wings at all. Engines are peanuts and if you get a complete conversion, well, you're laughing. Unbolt the old and bolt back in the new. Have a go yourself, half the fun is doing it.

As for staright swapping an engine, absolute doddle. Make sure you change the belts and oils before you put it in though.

You only need to declare an engine swap if its a different capacity.
I love it when you talk all mechanical <3 x

M

mini-valver

i dont know that much about engines. but i have 3 years of engineering under my belt so want to give it ago..

Valve spring compressor and a torque wrench if you are gonna fix it.

To just look at them, take the head off, turn it upside down and tip white spirit in the bowls. Whichever cylinder leaks, has bent valves.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172

long bar,

put it in gear and get sum1 to put theyre foot on the brake if you end up turning the engine over lol,

valves are easy to check,
just put the valve to the sealed position, and pour a thin liquid (i used white spirit) into the inlet or exhaust (witchever valve your testing) if it comes through, replace it,

valves are only about £5 each if you source a good place to get them,

also, sorry if ive given bogus advise about changing engines,
never done it personally, basing on people saying the 2.0 conversions more effort than its worth, i fail :(

2005 Nissan Navara
Ive got a valver sat outside my workshop which I can sell the complete running gear from, engine/box/loom/ecu/exhaust system/cooling system etc etc, everything you need to convert your 1.2, for £300.

Its a piece of piss to swap, same mounting points etc.

Wings definately arent needed, bonnet isnt either but its recomended due to the cooling vent for the exhaust manifold.

Mike don't don't it engine changes are like well hard you'll never be able to do it :D
P.s Sell me the car :D

Titanium 182
you can get insurance on a valver at 20 mate, easily under a grand if you go tpf&t (why would you go fully comp on a valver?) as long as you have a couple of years ncb you will be fine.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Ive got a valver sat outside my workshop which I can sell the complete running gear from, engine/box/loom/ecu/exhaust system/cooling system etc etc, everything you need to convert your 1.2, for £300.

Its a piece of piss to swap, same mounting points etc.

Wings definately arent needed, bonnet isnt either but its recomended due to the cooling vent for the exhaust manifold.

Whats wrong with the valver mate?

172 cup
in the mk1 the 1.4 engine runs on same ecu etc as the 1.2. And if you cant insure a valver at 20 id be worried

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Why would you be worried? A valver will be twice as much to insure as a 1.2? Maybe the bloke has more important things to spend his money on than going somewhere fast.

172 cup
Why would you be worried? A valver will be twice as much to insure as a 1.2? Maybe the bloke has more important things to spend his money on than going somewhere fast.

i went from a 1.2 mk1 clio to a valver at 18 and only paid £200 extra. There only group 12. You wont find a car as cheap to insure as that thats quicker. Maybe he does have better things to spend his money on, but if he's thinking about sticking a bigger engine in there then he probably dosnt!

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
You're lucky, Ive done a few quotes for me at 19 with 2 years no claims on a valver and its twice as much as im paying on my Dci, I cant be doing something right

172 cup
get your mum added onto the insurance, or anyone else in your house hold with more driving experiance then you. Put your gran on there if you want too. Put my mum and sis on my insurance which saved me a massive £800

i dont have a job atm... so short on cash (any one got a job for me let me know. ive got engineering qualifications )

lol

yeah i was looking last cheapest valver insurance was £1060. would need a loan to pay that.. and a job ..

sorry rob. but going to try fixing the engine my self before i give up lol!

i whip out the haynes manual :p

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Never thought about adding anyone else to my insurance may try that in future. Mike best bet is to get another 1.2 and drop it straight in, its pretty straight forward. Just make sure everythings disconnected before you remove the engine or it'll cause a hell of a ballache if something breaks.

ok looking through haynes...
to get to valves i need to take cylinder block off?
meaning i have to drain coolant?

also do i have to replace head gasket?

and do i have to do the whole valve grinding thing?
lol

anyone from my area want to help?
free tea :p

Megane 225
Yep, u'll need new head gasket. The valves will need grinding in to seat them. Not a massively hard job to do. We did 1 2 weeks ago and it cost about 300 all in including changing plugs and oil etc. (Normal service)