ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine swap on a Clio 2

Hi!

I currently have a Clio 1.2 16v which is giving me some headaches, bought it new and 25000km later its eating up A LOT of oil, close to 1L per 1000km. Since warranty has already expired (some 6 months ago), Im not sure Renault will pay 100% of the needed repairs, so I was told that it *could be* cheaper to fit another engine in, which would allow an upgrade :)

Thing is, considering the cost of an engine, intake and exhaust manifolds, gearbox, clutch and electronics (I already have an estimate of these values and know where I can get the parts), its a really tempting idea. BTW, Im talking about an used 1.6 16v engine.

My questions are: will it be too difficult to accomplish? Is there anything else I need to change besides the previously mentioned items? Does anyone know if the engine supports are the same for these two models?

Im not into this engine swap stuff, but Ive seen a Clio 2 1.2 8v with a valver engine fitted, so I guess it can be done!

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Isnt it just a matter of changing the engine, gearbox, clutch, brakes, suspension should all be good enough for a 1.6