ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Restrictions on new Clio 200!?

Cupped 200
Hi there again!

I squeezed the Search for 2 hours now, but i think because of my not so good english i just dont get the correct search word or something like that :D

I want to know if there are some kind of "software programmed" Restrictions on a new Clio 200 like Torque or Power Limiter etc.

I read a lot about like thats going to take its time till the engine reaches full output etc., but thats the normal way and has nothing to do with a limiter or so... RS told me to not rev over 3-3,5k for the first 1k kms, after that i can push it how i want, but that i should mention that the car will reach full power output at about 3k kms.

So: Software Limit till specific mileages and which ones or nothing at all?
Software Full Power at which mileage?
Engine Mechanical Full Power at which mileage about?
Tips for Driving In?

Thanks alot guys...

P.S.: No, its not that i couldnt sleep because of those questions, im just on Nightshift ;)

There are no software programmed restrictions on the engine. The general advice with all brand new cars is usually is to take it easy for the first 1000 miles or so to allow the engine, brakes, tyres, gearbox etc to bed in/run in. The engine will feel a bit tight for a while, when I had my 172 a while ago, it wasn't until I reached 20K miles before the engine felt well and truly run in.

Cupped 200
Holy Crap, that means after owning the car about 1-2 Years it will have the power i bought it for... that sucks ^^

Tav

Clio 197
It's the same with any car, they feel better when run in...looser. But that's not to say it won't make book power from new.

Cupped 200
That theres a Run-In and whatsoever to get to max. Power was for sure, but that this takes 20k miles on a modern car.. thats a mess.

Thats not to say that it'll run like a lame dog until 20k, for me it just felt that the engine was more freer reving, responsive and smoother. Also it'll be down to your driving style, if you drive it like you stole it all the time, then it might only take you 10k. Either that or a new engine and gearbox!

1998 BMW e46 323i
fingers crossed i'll be ok then. still pulls like a train, engines do seem built to run much longer than they used to.

Cupped 200
Its just that when i test drove a 200 at the Stealer it had 200km on the clock and i was all but impressed by the power. I just thought that after between 1000 and 3000 km it will free up at one punch and run like i think it should ;)

GTD, Lupo
Mine changed at 1800 miles, exhaust note and power increased. Was not to impressed at first but happy now and I'm on 3k miles.

Paul

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my car was really well looked after and never driven that quick by the first driver i assume due to brakes being factory fitted one and factory fitted tyres at 20k, when i got it it wasnt as quick as id have thought, i put 30k of hard miles on it and now it FLYYYSSS

Scirocco GT 2.0
Interesting this thread should pop up..

My Dyn' S has literally just reached 10k miles and I swear blind is feels sooo much better. It certainly pulls better anyway

:approve:

Black Gold Trophy
I find this really odd, I would have thought with better manufacturing processes and such, engines should require a shorter running in period as the engine is built to better tolerances and thus closer dimensions to the original blue prints.
There is also loads of articles online that claim the best way to run the engine in is to let it rev and no synthetic oil!

Cupped 200
The manufacturing processes ARE very much more precise, because of that youre allowed to kick the engines ass after 1000km/600miles instead of 20 years run-in and dont have to change oil innert the first 1-3k kms. But it IS stupid that the power will come so late... because of whatever

GTD, Lupo
The run in period is not so much for the engine as it would have done 1k miles on a test bed prior to being fitted to the car. It's more of a bedding in period for the clutch, gearbox and brakes.

Paul

Scirocco GT 2.0
Interesting this thread should pop up..

My Dyn' S has literally just reached 10k miles and I swear blind is feels sooo much better. It certainly pulls better anyway

:approve:

& I'm getting 40+MPG round town for the first time, ever!

Thank God. I was getting sick of less than 35!

Black 197
I agree that over mileage the engine will loosen a little. My 197 felt tight at 10k, I've had it 5 months and put 5k on it so at 15k it feels better... My best mate and house mate is a mechanic for PCV's HGV's and stuff but he's bang on the spot with cars too... He has a Scooby and has driven that hard since brand new (53 plate bug eye) and tbh that thing flys and it aint done it no harm..

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
If I bought a new car with warranty and I knew it would be going within 5 years or so I would hammer it constantly. It's only becuase I know I would be footing the bill for repairs just now that it never gets abused from cold etc.

Clio RS 200 cup chassis
Mine changed at 1800 miles, exhaust note and power increased. Was not to impressed at first but happy now and I'm on 3k miles.

Paul

mine was about the same at the beginning wasn't too impressed by the power (got smoked by a 182) but now after 4500 miles it is getting better much better

Cupped 200
I want to hear more of this "after a few miles itll kick your ass" messages as im feeling better with any of them :D

Brisol my lover..
dont quote me on this but its about 625 miles to run it in and 1500 miles for everything to start working better fuel performance ect..