ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine conversion...

My Mate up North has a Clio 1.2 16v at the moment, and has sourced a 1.4 16v engine just because he wants abit more power nothing thats gona kill on insurance, Soo with the engine he got Ecu and Engine mounts,

so the Question on this 1 is..

Will the gearbox from a 1.2 fit a 1.4 ?
&
Are the drive shafts the same?

He though that maybe the teeth on the shafts were different?

Any thing else you think thats missing or need to get please let me kno, as hes planning to do this in the next couple of weeks :approve:

Aslo They Keys? will the same 1 work. or do i need to program the key to work??

Ta

Last edited:
  1 Series Coupe
To be honest i would of thought it to be a waste of time.

1.2 > 1.4 - Not really worth it.

All imho.

Hes been in a 1.4 16v and thats beats stuff like corsa gsi, soo the power is abit quicker, / pulls better than the 1.2 ... & also since its a 172 rep, needs to fill the engine space as its sooo small lol

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
If his engines fucked its worth it, probs not if theres nothing wrong with his engine, Would have thought everything from the 1.2 would fit the 1.4

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Hes been in a 1.4 16v and thats beats stuff like corsa gsi, soo the power is abit quicker, / pulls better than the 1.2 ... & also since its a 172 rep, needs to fill the engine space as its sooo small lol

Not a chance the GSIs are rapid compared to a 1,4 clio, iven the Old 1.4 16V SRI corsa s are quicker than a clio.

Nothing at all in a 1.2 v1.4 clio, very little differance.

If his engines f**ked its worth it, probs not if theres nothing wrong with his engine, Would have thought everything from the 1.2 would fit the 1.4

Oil does regualry escpae near the front tho, but not enough to cause dripping on the floor. iv been to the garage and he says maybe seal has gone or some sort.

well i have been in 1, and the guy we kno Jonny Morris hes called had a very ugly looking gsi, and tbh we left him, not by much but there was a gap, as the clio is lighter imo.

How much would the engine be worth if i sold it?

Lionel Richie
he'll need the looms, the keys, the decoder ring, the uch etc etc all from a donor car

otherwise it won't work

Better with a 2.0 engine mate, not worth it for just 1.4 I'd say. Better and cheaper just to buy a 1.4.

With a 2.0, it would be pretty much the same on insurance because:

1) It's still registered as a 1.2 with engine mod
2) I'm pretty sure that when you do an engine conversion, there's a set amount that your insurance goes up anyway.

Evo 8 MR
I think there is a fair difference between the 1.2 and the 1.4 as I think the 1.4 and 1.6 are practically the same engine the 1.4 being slightly less capacity or whatever whereas the 1.2 is totally different and built solely for el cheapos.

Although in all fairness as said I would say don't bother as it is a LOT of work for what is undeniably a small power gain.

It would be easier to simply sell his current car and buy a 1.4 16v.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
just as much hastle to put a 1.4 16v as it is to put a 2.0 16v.

it will need engine, ecu, uch, keys, decoder ring, then will need ECU coded to the car too afaik

possible if you get a full doner car cheap but wudnt bother other wise.

1.2 box will fit yes, as will 1.6 16v (same as DCi65) and 2.0 16v (same as dci80) box.

if ur thinking of an engine conversion,. this will mean your car being off the road for a bit.. why not sell it, make some more cash, buy a decent 2.0 ;)

Clio 182 + Mini
Seems like a lot of work to me. I've recently bought my 1.4, and when I was looking, 1.2s and 1.4s of the same year/spec cost about the same. the 1.4 is obviously quicker, reading reviews etc the 1.4 and 1.6 engines are closely related, whereas the 1.2 is a step down

Hey,
Im Dan's mate, James from up North..

Ye the corsa gsi's aint that quick and with only 105bhp the clio 1.4 does have a chance on keeping up even if the driver is better in the clio could easily out run it ..

But more to the point i saw some1 mention that it would be easier selling the 1.2 and buying a 1.4, i would but i dont want to.. i have spent soo much on the 1.2 around 2-3grand maybe more, iv spend iirc around thousand pounds to get it lowered to what i wanted it to be, (coilovers & custom springs etc) il get a pic up later when im home..

Imo my best idea now is to Sell the engine on, its a low Millage 2003 1.4 16v 30k miles so wouldnt be that problem selling it on :) comes with Ecu and abit ov loom(need to check this)

The main reason why i wanted to fit this engine was because the 1.2 wich iv had since early 2002 had only 27k on clock now iv ranked it up to 77k :( and for extra power :)

This thread is beyond me

To the original poster - Ask yourself is it worth all the hassle for what 10HP? its a no brainer really.

This is my Clio.... crap quality sorry
What you think ?

P231108_1427.jpg

Ph1
PMSL @ the change of ink colour to represent a different user on the same account haha class

Leave the engine where it is. With all these brains you could be installing a 950 cc not a 1.4 haha jk

Andyman i didnt chance font or nothin :) just computer at work are crap,

:lol: anvil whaaat ?
there nothing in the boot except 1 amp and 1 sub :)

springs are about 140mm i think :p