ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Electrical/plastic burning smell from alternator area

Audi TT
Hi,

Last night I started my car and it made an odd noise on starting which I couldn't work out exactly. It sounded like a whining or a pump type noise coming from the front of the car.

The noise went away as I drove up the road so I thought nothing more to it. When I got nearly home as I slowed from the nationals into a 30 I noticed a burning smell which was a plasticy type smell but as I was driving past some roadworks I thought it was them. Then when I got home I pulled onto my drive and the smell was really strong. I jumped out and thought I saw a little smoke or steam come from the driver side headlight area. On popping the bonnet I couldn't see any smoke coming from anywhere but there was a really strong smell which seemed to be like electrical or a plastic type smell.

The smell was there again today driving to and from work and after asking a couple of people to have a look as well we seem to think it could be coming from the alternator or certainly that area of the engine.

I've quite recently had the belts including tensioners down at Carlton in Exmouth. My mate suggested it could be a possibility that the aux belt was over tightened and it has screwed the alternator. I've no idea if this is possible and wont be able to ring carlton to speak to them for a while and definitly wont be able to get to see them as it's 3 1/2 hrs away :(

Anyone any ideas or come across this before?

Cheers,

G

120d M-Sport
Hi matey, just thought i'd mention mine also has that whirring noise, thought it could have been the water pump but god knows.

I dont think it could be the belts as usually they just slip dont they?:S Sorry i cant help on the burning smell, possibly all the sprinted driving? :rasp:

Hope it gets sorted without problems :approve:

Audi TT
Maybe I was driving quick but the last 2 journeys have been really steady as loads of dithering motorists about and the smell was still there.

Bit concerned as it's my daily drive :/

cheers

sophiesdad

ClioSport Club Member
  anything i get
sonds like it is your alternator , or belt rubbing maybe , need to have agood look at both for marks , but i would say alternator. had belts replaced recently?

Audi TT
Cheers Andy.

Yeah had cambelt and aux belt with tensioners changed at Carlton Garage in Exmouth a couple months ago.

The smell seems to be getting less but I'm sure the car makes a more whiney noise now under acceleration but I guess could be imagining it. Doesn't seem as quick either but again could be me. :(

t3 corolla 116bhp
if the belt is overtightened it can def cause problems on the alternator plleys/bearings as they're very sensitive little friggers. hopefully it doesnt seize on you! any unusual wearing of the belt etc?

Audi TT
Can't see anything on the belt. Rang Carlton and asked if possible to overtighten the aux belt but the tensioners do the job at a set rate so that's not actually possible. Very confusing and I'm just hoping it's nothing major as I've a stag do and a holiday coming up fast :(

t3 corolla 116bhp
ah, i forget the sports have that.

perhaps it could be a problem with the alternator bushes are something?

Audi TT
I already intended to visit Carlton this summer for a job they highlighted when it went in for the cambelt so I might end up doing that early and getting them to work this problem out at the same time. Just it's a massive journey down there at 3 1/2hrs so if it's a serious problem chances are it will show itself properly with that! :(

nimbus r27
i know its an old thread but everyone moans about searching!lol
anyway mine is also doing this now!
just wondered what yours ended up being and how much?

Audi TT
It was the alternator. Eventually it failed. Had to replace it. Reconditioned one cheap and renault fitted it dirt cheap for some reason :)

Audi TT
I actually can't remember where I got the alternator from. Think it was a case of googling until I got a decent price.

Mine did this too. It was an internal short inside the alternator. Sounds like the power steering is on full lock all the time. With mine I knew it was an alternator fault as when you touched it it took the skin off your fingers ;-)

I paid about 170 for the alternator from Partco or whatever they're called now. You'll need to take the old one to make sure you get the right one as there are many options...

nimbus r27
mines in renault as we speak now looking at £560 the bracket is cracked and needs to be replaced!! c*nts!

clio sport 172
must be one of them things , mine has been wineing and radom smell , and now , voltage drops , just doing 14 with only car running turn any think on and drops to 12 , quote 170 for part 150 to fit , oh great , , 2 more to fail