ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E85 3.0 Z4 Roadster Project

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm not actually convinced, I'm going to do it to my halogens, see how I feel about the results. Less cost risk and I can move them on if I don't like them.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Yes, but the guy who's offered has done two before. Non facelift rear bumpers are peanuts anyway due to lack of desirability etc so it's not a huge risk.

The guy who's offered has some serious skills though, and he's a proper nice bloke. He spent ages cutting his own to make it an exact mirror of the other side, only difference is that the plastic as standard "folds" under a bit, that side won't so I'm almost tempted to cut that side so both sides match.

Listerine & Poledo
Quad exhausts?

Did you mod an extra pair of cylinders in there? If not then no.

Otherwise may as well bolt on a pair of Peco 4"

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
The zed as standard (exhaust wise) is quiet as a mouse, I plan to run a bypass pipe and "quad up". The quad would be removable and then I could refit a standard bumper and just have a slightly louder exhaust. Sorted.

I'm a quad fan TBH, they get away with it

Leon Cupra 300
Could you not make the exhaust a twin split like 335i/d, M135's etc?

​Looks best IMO. Twin quads for proper M's

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I should have read this before I agreed in my PM to pick whatever it is up! If its something I dislike (namely the aero kit front bumper) I refuse to do it :rasp:

I'm not becoming a hate figure on here for helping to facilitate the downfall of an epic motor.

Spoke to Lucas last night, he is sorted for the 15th / 16th and he'll bring the bumper he has for you!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
It's a standard bumper I believe haha, soo much painting we need to get done at some point.
I hope sailor bit doesn't let us down lol

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
It's a standard bumper I believe haha, soo much painting we need to get done at some point.
I hope sailor bit doesn't let us down lol

Lol at sailor bit. He sounds crazy busy in his new job, hence not being on here as much, but he was keen as mustard.

Isn't that like Rob's 4th bumper? Does he collect them or something? ;)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Well, this hasn't been updated in a while...

I've done a s**t load of mechanical work to the car in the last two weeks, namely:

New clutch
Gearbox oil

Carried out here:

E4D20E17-AF3F-48F4-A6D6-5506AA4236A7-8239-000003CB04602B46_zps2bd8453a.jpg

Then, at the unit last night:

Service
New belts
Oil filter housing gasket (to stop a small leak)

I also managed to kerb two wheels in a small altercation with a very skinny road and someone coming off a driveway, so they'll all need a refurb now.

The car currently looks like this:

8745649984_99e051bec1_c.jpg

8745649538_b1d545c5d8_c.jpg

After the above work, it drives better than it ever has in my ownership, smooth as you like, feels fast as hell, and with the //M wheels and decent rubber, it handles brilliantly.

There's more coming in the next few weeks, mainly getting my HUGE brakes sorted out...

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Cheers chaps!

Oh, and I finally know how to get the xenon's I have sitting in the garage working.

The LCM (light control module) is part of the light switch and just needs re-coding to change voltages for the xenons to plug and play.

So they'll be going on as soon as my CD and cable comes through the post to re-code.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Brilliant mate. .. mines still waiting on springs. . I was going with eibachs but someone was interested in buying said they'd prefer oem! ! Also DT needed a front axle weight which I'm struggling to provide. . Nothing is ever simple. .
Love yours though

Suzuki Jimny
Looks stunning.

Really liked it when you let me sit in it at css camping, although sturggled to get in/out of it!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Looking good. Not looking forward to you ruining it though.

Who has a 4 post in their garden btw? It's epic.

Ruining it? Do tell? It's getting big brakes, OEM xenon's (orange indicators), wheel refurb, possible exhaust bypass pipe to add to noise, m sport steering wheel, possibly the facelift front bumper... But that's an expensive one, I'd love an m bumper, but I'm dreaming there tbh.

Hang on, you have a ramp, outside?

You have an outside ramp? Outside? :-|

Not me, lol! Just someone I know. Quite convenient tbh!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Thats absolutely awesome! I've always wondered about having one!!! I gather its an all weather effort? Well impressed with that!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Couple of empty tonne bags over the top of either side when not used, and the belts need changing more often than if it's inside. Other than that I think it's just a normal one I think mate. Clutch was lovely and easy whilst it was up there!

BMW E46 330ci Sport
How was the oil filter housing gasket change? Mine is leaking and I've got the gasket at home but haven't quite got round to getting the job done. Could you possibly say how long the job took?

Really like your car, especially the wheels.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
How was the oil filter housing gasket change? Mine is leaking and I've got the gasket at home but haven't quite got round to getting the job done. Could you possibly say how long the job took?

Really like your car, especially the wheels.

Thanks dude.

Erm, it wasn't awful, but there's a bolt on the bottom of the alternator we couldn't get back in for a while, which was a bugger.

Basically, drop oil, disconnect battery, remove air box, remove belts, remove alternator, then undo all the bolts bolting the housing to the block (these are massively obvious). Take housing off, replace gasket, re-fit. New belts on the way back, new oil.

Whole thing can be done in about 2 hours easily if that bottom bolt isn't an arsehole.

Did you remove the CDV while you did the clutch? Tempted to do mine in the next few weeks when I do the box oil.

I didn't no, but I'll be doing it soon when I do the brakes, it's not the gearbox oil you lose is it mate? It's the clutch/brake fluid!

I'm not 100% mine hasn't been done already, as it feels better than another I drove, but my hands were too dirty to look up what it was and take a look, so I didn't.

Yeah I know it works off the brake master cylinder reserviour, was more the fact that it would be on the ramp so be easy access when I do the box oil. It's the 1st to 2nd kangarooing thats a bit irritating.

What did you stick in the box btw? I know people seem to rave between the royal purple stuff and redline D4 atf.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I went for a castrol 75w 90 as the BMW tech up the road recommended it.

The genuine BMW stuff can only be bought in 5l bottles and costs just over £105

I was going to get something like royal purple (as everyone seems to say it's awesome) but I got this in halfords which was convenient.

It's seriously like a different car to drive now mate, used to struggle between 1/2 unless rev'd quite high in 1st, and it also didn't used to like going into first when rolling up to the lights, which is does now.

Interesting, just a fully synth 75w90?

Yeah, that is the exact same as mine currently is. Brilliant to hear it can be resolved by a fluid change, wonder if it will help the input shaft rattle I seem to have on engine shut down.

As soon as my bloody insurance rebate turns up, i'll be doing the diff and box oils, and ordering some eibachs. Still torn between 224's and csl reps.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
S'all about 224's dude, so much more OEM than the CSL's.

Yep, castrol fully synth stuff, was about 13£ a bottle, you need two bottles. I really was dubious about how much difference it would make, especially when what came out of there was quite clean. I have a feeling mine has been changed before, and not for brilliant stuff.

Whilst we were doing the clutch we found that the propshaft was EXTREMELY tight on the spline, so we hammered to to the end of the spline, lubricated it up and got it moving too.

Really does feel a lot better as a car now, before it felt a bit forced sometimes and that seems to have gone.

I had the diff oil and diff mounts done when I had an issue a while back so I think I'm all sorted under there now.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Looking sweet! You going to do anything with the exhaust once you done the brakes

I have a pretty amazing offer on the exhaust tbh, I just can't decide whether to go for it. A friendly local member has offered me an //M rear bumper for silly cheap, and another member who is doing the brakes with me, then doing the same on his own, has offered me a custom quad exhaust to fill the //M bumper cut outs for near enough 0 because I'm being the test pilot for the brakes and sorting him out with the required custom lines etc. So it'd just be a standard exhaust, with a backbox bypass for some noise, then four stainless round tips.

good job boyo

Cheers m'dear! Was it you that did the box oil??