ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drove a RB182 from Motor Depot Today

Astra VXR ex 172 owner
i had a 172 for 3 years loved it but to many problems started to occur and i turned to the 150bhp cdti astra with all the toys leather too but it was boring and annoyed me coz i was used to my clio so i got a vxr 9 months later just couldnt handle the simple astra diesel life always wanted more get the clio just coz in the long run u will still be smiling everyday and with the diesel all ull do is save fuel money butlifes to short! :)

pimp mobile Zafira
If you get that one from Motor depot get them down on the price. I got mine from them just under a month ago for 5k on an 04 plate with 46000.

Go for the Clio

MCS R56
well im doing 30miles every day...20of these are motorway..10are traffic and slow moving. havent seen many with the climate buttons and what not it..only thing it didnt have was the splitter.
Seems daft id go for a car for 5k when i could get a 08plate 1.9cdti astra! but i just love the rb 182's!

Yeah, because motorways are fun. :S

The op is doing mainly motorway miles.

A ANIMAL
Why do people say the clio has NO power at all below 5 k. Its insane. Also the 182 is absolutly fine on the motorway! me and Hutchie did an 1800 mile round trip and the Trophy was absolutlely faultless. Its not like its a 1.2 FFS.

Medici- i believe you have your answer.

MCS R56
Why do people say the clio has NO power at all below 5 k. Its insane. Also the 182 is absolutly fine on the motorway! me and Hutchie did an 1800 mile round trip and the Trophy was absolutlely faultless. Its not like its a 1.2 FFS.

Medici- i believe you have your answer.

It obviously has power but it's pretty dull below 5k, as most people agree on, so it's really not insane. Try driving a a turbo'd car and you see what we all mean. And yes it is fine on the motorway, as I said but the Astra will be better for that type of journey. I don't mean it's breakdown on the motorway, I mean the Astra will be more comfortable and more relaxed when it comes to overtaking etc.

Dry your eyes.

A ANIMAL
It obviously has power but it's pretty dull below 5k, as most people agree on, so it's really not insane. Try driving a a turbo'd car and you see what we all mean. And yes it is fine on the motorway, as I said but the Astra will be better for that type of journey. I don't mean it's breakdown on the motorway, I mean the Astra will be more comfortable and more relaxed when it comes to overtaking etc.

Dry your eyes.

I have a Volvo 850R.

and i agree its a better motorway car but the Clio hardly struggles. Your ears wont start bleeding and your face wont melt, and when you put your foot down no one will point and laugh.

Last edited:
  1998 BMW e46 323i
I've driven plenty of diesels, older non turbos, direct injections, turbos, and some really new hire cars for work that are always diesel or petrol-hybrids.

Diesel is fine, but is different, very different. Turbo is better obviously, but masks or even magnifies the problem I have.

Like the clio 1*2 lacks oomph til 4.5/5k and has to be revved, the diesels ALL (that I've driven) seem fine til you pull out on a roundabout, flooring it as a car approaches from your right, and nothing, nothing, nothing,.. Car approaches closer and closer, nothing,.. Bang and we're off!!! Now we're not, change gear, nothing, nothing, bang...

I couldn't live with it. I think it's down to the weight of modern cars, if they weren't so heavy it probably wouldn't be so noticeable.

I'm sure it'd be the same in a 1*2 car if it weighed as much as a house.

Until they have twin turbos in them (normal affordable cars that is) that work low down and higher up, I'm out!

MCS R56
I have a Volvo 850R.

and i agree its a better motorway car but the Clio hardly struggles. You're ears wont start bleeding and your face wont melt, and when you put your foot down no one will point and laugh.

It certainly doesn't struggle but it sits at almost 4000 rpm at motorway speeds, which ain't great.

I have a Saab.

A ANIMAL
It certainly doesn't struggle but it sits at almost 4000 rpm at motorway speeds, which ain't great.

I have a Saab.

Sweeden FTW.

No, its not the best motorway cruiser in the world but the point i was making is its certainly not the worst. fair enough if he was dong 20k motorway miles a year then yeah - there are certainly better cars for the job.

At the end off the day he wants a Clio, but his Grandad wants him to have a tractor. His choice will be fairly simple whn it comes down to it.

TTRS & V50
Sorry, but i must have driven every different type of astra out there, and they are BORING. Driven them in all types of conditions and roads, and bland isn't descriptive enough. ClioSpot is moons ahead. MPG figures are pretty dogshit for the astra too, and don't trust the red lights, we couldn't get from Northampton to Milton Keynes (35 miles) on a fiver, which is pretty piss poor for a diesel.

Also Clio is so much cheaper.

320d
I found my 172 to be a decent motorway cruiser, bar the stealth booming away but that was my fault.

I liked motorway trips in my 172, they've got comfy seats, decent sound system, enough torque for overtaking and would return over 40mpg on the motorway doing sensible speeds.

Obviously a big comfy derv would be more suited to motorways but as an all rounder you can't overlook a 1*2.

I'm sure the 182 would be better on the motorway than the astra would on track or a nice twisty B road.

320d
Diesel though? Really?

Nothing, nothing, nothing, 400lb/ft, wheeeeze, nothing, change up.

No thanky. I can't live without revs.

I agree with you but in some cases Diesels are better than petrols. I'd rather have a Clio DCi than 1.2.

Best of both worlds for me would be a turbo petrol. Torque and revs, thats what you need.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my derv has a bigger power band than a 172/182 thanks to its Variable geometry turbo ;)

if my granddad was telling me to get an astra over a 182 id tell him to keep his fuckin money and buy a 172 myself.

TTRS & V50
TO be fair, that one in the link is a little pricey. Can get nearly 30-40 k miles for that money, but having driven both i prefer the golf and looks wise i prefer the golf.

MCS R56
hell yes. pick up the ibiza cupra Tdi 160. 160 Hp (psi??) and 320 lb/ft of torque! bit of a crashy ride minde but decent motor. if i were to have a derv it would be that.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1710858.htm

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1691816.htm

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1643957.htm

I've got the Ibiza Cupra (160ps, 245lbs/ft) but have it remapped to 200hp and 300lbs/ft. Very crashy but it has big brakes and is very quick. Not great off the line but once moving it will smoke a Clio sport. Literally.

The Golf is a great car too, as is the Megane. I had a look at them but they were too expensive.

MCS R56
I've driven plenty of diesels, older non turbos, direct injections, turbos, and some really new hire cars for work that are always diesel or petrol-hybrids.

Diesel is fine, but is different, very different. Turbo is better obviously, but masks or even magnifies the problem I have.

Like the clio 1*2 lacks oomph til 4.5/5k and has to be revved, the diesels ALL (that I've driven) seem fine til you pull out on a roundabout, flooring it as a car approaches from your right, and nothing, nothing, nothing,.. Car approaches closer and closer, nothing,.. Bang and we're off!!! Now we're not, change gear, nothing, nothing, bang...

I couldn't live with it. I think it's down to the weight of modern cars, if they weren't so heavy it probably wouldn't be so noticeable.

I'm sure it'd be the same in a 1*2 car if it weighed as much as a house.

Until they have twin turbos in them (normal affordable cars that is) that work low down and higher up, I'm out!

You still have to change gears in diesels, when appropriate. Plus, a remap can reduce the lag to varying degrees.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Get a job, save up, buy your own car, and insure it yourself

Scrounging b*****d

Are you spending pops money on a car? Or yours?

If its your cash tell the old f**ker to sod off.

edit: Read the tread now, get a RS Megane dci. Not as fun as an R26, but much more fun than an ashtray.

Kids today eh, getting a fairly new car for their birthday.

Last edited:
  320d
Get a job, save up, buy your own car, and insure it yourself

Scrounging b*****d

Not your place to get involved. If my grandad wnted to buy me a nice car for my 21st i'd take it. Does that make me a scrounging b*****d? I think not.

And thats coming from somebody who has paid for and insured every car i've had.

182 Trophy
Fabia vrs ftw, love them
would rarther have an rb182 obviously but if you HAVE to get a diesel then the fabia or clio dci100 would be my choice, with the clio being so light the 1.5dci seriously shifts and after a map i bet theyre awsome fun.