ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driveshaft or Diff

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Hi. Looking for a bit of advice.

The car is a 172 cup.
Firstly my girlfriend crashed my car a couple of days ago, all seems structurally sound so I'm 99% sure that it hasn't contributed but thought the full story would be best, it has only damaged the drivers side light, bumper and bonnet.

Also the clutch release bearing has been noisy for a while, again probably not related.

So after crashing it she said It pulled slightly, I jumped in it today to go and get a quote for the bodywork and to be honest I didn't notice much of a pull, at some points I thought I did but put it down to phsycological as she'd pointed it out.

After my bodywork quote I pulled into a pub carpark to get food, reversed to straighten up, then as I went to drive forward into the space the car sort of stopped made an almighty noise and I stalled. I dropped the car into neutral and tried to push the car and it wouldn't move. I assumed the front left brake was stook on.

Called the AA, the bloke came out, jacked the car up and we could then move the front left wheel slightly so it wasn't the brakes, obviously drivetrain related.
The AA bloke then decided to try and drive it as I went to the toilet and my girlfriend stayed with him, it moved but not willingly, made a loud clicking noise and eventually locked up and stalled again.

Not sure what else to describe so ask away If more details are needed. I need the car back on the road ASAP so any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Not having a good week with the crash too.

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Thank you for the input steve.

That's what I thought. It would creep for about 5cm and then catch, like I said the AA bloke forced it to move and he said was only a driveshaft.

I'm just trying to get some solid aswers (which is difficult not seeing the car I know) but don't want to pay a recovery company to take it all the way to a garage to find it is the diff/whole gearbox as I can't then afford it at the moment. If it is just driveshaft I could.

Anyone know a way of checking?

clio 172 phase 2
There is a gearbox in the sale section. To check the drive shaft. Jack the car up and check the shaft for any play. Up and down movement and see if you can twist the shaft with out the wheel or gear box moving. But i highly doubt it will be a shaft

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Hi again Steve.
Yeah I did consider that box in the classifieds but firstly it's not a cup box so believe I can't use the speedo sensor (as cub doesn't have abs sensors) also I'm not sure that'll be much cheaper than sending mine off for refurb and the new box could potentially have a diff on its last legs.
Yeah okay I'll do that to check for sure but my gut was to agree with you regarding it being box.

Thanks for your advice.

Remove passenger side shaft you shall soon know if its the diff /circlip when it drops out in your hand. When mine went it took the driveshaft out too! which jammed up some how and ripped the gearbox mount off!! the box was full of bits of metal.