ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drives horrible.

Clio 182
Hi Hi,
I've had my car for a few months now and the feel of the car whilst taking corners is getting worse, theres a lot of play in the steering wheel and it pulls to one side quite badly.
Im no mechanic but im guessing its something to do with the steering rack?

How much am i looking at for a new one fitted? What else should i be replacing at the same time? I've used BTM for my belts and dephaser pulley recently, anyone know what Fred charges?

Cheers.

Dan.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Call Fred in a few days when he's back in and ask him.

Could be a slow puncture, crap tyres, knackered shocks or possibly a duff rack but why bother replacing when you don't know what's up ?

Might be a simple fix and you'll be home in no time !

Clio 182
Yeah i think i will do.
Ive had a few sets of wheels on the car now and its been terrible with all.
Whenever i buy a used car i always have issues with something on the suspension, so thats my reason for saying that.

When im having a lively drive on private roads and i hit the magical 5k revs, the cars steering is so light, i have to use a bit of strength to keep the steering wheel straight. Rather dangerous tbh!

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Although it can happen, steering racks don't really go wrong on these,
i'd put money on it being either track rod ends, tie rods, ball joints, wishbone bushes......or a combination of all of them.

Could be a bent subframe, but that would be unlucky.

Without getting it on a ramp and having a good luck, you'll never know.

Clio 182
Hopefully Fred will have some time in a few weeks to give the car a good looking over then.
Thanks for the quick response guys.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
I have trouble ATM with pulling to the left and feeling a little light ATM.

I'm going in to Birchdown to have the front end fully refreshed (wishbones, ball joints, Track Rod Ends, power flex arb bushes and maybe inside track rods.

See if that works if not I think a set of solid top mounts and spax RSX is in order lol

Clio 182
Thats a good way to describe it, a front end refresh!
How much is all that setting you back if you dont mind me asking?

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
It's coming close to 250 quid for the parts.

Wishbones 80ish quid (comes with ball joints)

TREs 40 quid for the pair

Power flex ARB bushes (outer and inner) I think they where 50ish quid for both from demon Tweeks with CS discount.

Inside TRs are 80 quid for the pair.

And then if that don't work there's a steering rack bush for 20 quid and then new shocks and top mounts (a lot more money lol)

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1

Power flex ARB bushes (outer and inner) I think they where 50ish quid for both from demon Tweeks with CS discount.

And then if that don't work there's a steering rack bush for 20 quid and then new shocks and top mounts (a lot more money lol)

Hi
I'd be really interested to know if this works for you. It sounds like you have the same problem as me. I did get the alinement checked but it still pulls slightly to the left and still has the light steering feel.

Had a similar issue with mine.

Replacing the track rod end made the biggest difference.

I did ball joints and arb bushes afterwards and the problem seems to be solved.

Clio 182
Had a similar issue with mine.

Replacing the track rod end made the biggest difference.

I did ball joints and arb bushes afterwards and the problem seems to be solved.

That was what i was hoping to hear, someone whos replaced it all and its sorted it out.
Nice one Klem.

Glad thats helpful....Yours could be a different issue but tre's/ball joints seem the most obvious and cheapest place to start.

I'd have a really good look at the inner tie rods too, they can give similar symptoms to a broken steering rack.

Best of luck :)

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Had all the above work done and it fixes my problems, still have the ktec shocks and old top mounts that show there age now, but its 1000% better after the above work :)

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
If you want it slightly more rigidity you can get powerflex wishbone bushes to replace the old standard rubber ones, but Birchdown recommended some give in the setup to keep it nice on road :)

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
It feels better at every speed, I haven't had a huge drive back, but it feels soo nice on turn in now, pin point sharp and its as if your running your hands over the surface when you hold the wheel!

Really made it feel like a new car now tbh!

Only thing that comes close to this pin point feel (that I have driven) is a new 200 cup!

It just feels so tight!

WRX
Fred's back now, i'd just let him look at it. Could just be one of the things above, might not be a big bill.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
None of mine where extremely broken, I did it because they all work together for the end product :)

Clio 182
It feels better at every speed, I haven't had a huge drive back, but it feels soo nice on turn in now, pin point sharp and its as if your running your hands over the surface when you hold the wheel!

Really made it feel like a new car now tbh!

Only thing that comes close to this pin point feel (that I have driven) is a new 200 cup!

It just feels so tight!

My car before the 182 was a 200 and i loved the feel of that, a proper solid car through the corners, the 182 is a rattlebox that at the moment feels like it wants to kill me on each corner :p

Clio 182
Fred's back now, i'd just let him look at it. Could just be one of the things above, might not be a big bill.

I meant to give him a call this week but put it off due to being new years eve/day. Thanks for the heads up i shall give him a call tomorrow and try grab some of his time, he best of cleaned that office by now! Lol

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Mine was like this, lots of vibrations at anything above 40.

Set of TRE's which cost 20 quid and then got the tracking done and its a million times better :)

Clio 182
I did have the tracking done a while back and it made it slightly better, its back to driving rough again now though! Grrrr

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Have you checked to see what condition your track rod ends etc are in?

Is there any play in your wheels?

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Even if just one side of your track rod ends is worn changing them will make the steering feel loads better.

Before I pulled my car off the road over winter I was changing them once a year.

I believe lowered cars and stiff components such as power flex bushes and suspension will wear them out quicker? There is more strain on them

"Navy" N17 TWO
Had any of you any noises in the steering before getting parts changed?

This.
I have a few bits sitting ready to go on when I get a day free;

New wishbones
Powerflex bushes
ARB bushes
Steering rack mount bushes

Worth adding TRE's to that, or even inner rods? (had nearside inner replaced within last year)

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
I did have a few knocks when moving the wheel stationary and also over bumps.

TRE and track rods do deteriorate yes

I think it's worth go the all the way tbh.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Suppose wouldn't do any harm while working on that area of the car, before getting any alignment or balancing checked :)

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
That was my thinking tbh, whilst its apart might as well change it all then you know it's done and when it was done :)

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
I gave mine a good run today and I can confirm the work I had done has improved the cars handling by 1000% every turn is pin point now, and the steering wheels is heavy at all movement on flat surfaces not just against camber.

Highly recommend doing this before going down the coilover route!

GSXR + KDX220

Are the TRE/TR's and wishbones genuine Renault parts? As they seem quite expensive compared to aftermarket parts.....although probably better quality!
£40 for one track rod??