ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drive shaft/CV boot change? How much?

C1 VTR (Company Car)
Got an advisory on my MOT for small hole in passenger side CV boot/joint. Never had the time to get round to looking at it or sorting it, due to time and funds. done nearly 12k miles since getting it in May last year, and just recently its started knocking during heavy turning.

This would leave me to believe that the joint is going/gone. MOT due in just over a month so paranoid it will fail now. That or the exhaust but that's a different story lol.

How much would I be looking at for parts and getting a new one fitted. If this indeed is the issue. Anything else it could be?

Cheers in advance.

C1 VTR (Company Car)
knowing what car it is would help

My bad, it was late :) 2000 Ph1 1.4 8v sport.

Got some pictures of what I'm working with:
IMAG0117.jpgIMAG0118.jpgIMAG0120.jpg

Can clearly see one hole that has been botched by previous owner. That's split now. And there's also another patch of grease in first pic. So I'm assuming there is two holes. So that definetely needs replacing before MOT. There is a small amount of play in the drive shaft, accompanied by a knocking sound. So I would assume that it's toast and needs replacing.

I've been quoted £65 for just the fitting if I supply parts. Which to me sounds a tad cheap tbqh.

This needs to be sorted ASAP as just over a month 'til MOT expires. Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated.

Also as stated in the first post there is a loud knocking noise when turning left, no matter what speed, whether it's 5mph or 35mph.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
only needs a new boot £65 is about the going rate including the boot from an independent garage.

can get a stretchy boot and cone for under £10 delivered easy to do your self take about 30mins to do

C1 VTR (Company Car)
only needs a new boot £65 is about the going rate including the boot from an independent garage.

can get a stretchy boot and cone for under £10 delivered easy to do your self take about 30mins to do

I was under the impression that if there is knocking and play in the shaft, then it's already gone past just a new boot. Don't want to spend money on a new boot etc and then it still need a new driveshaft. But obviously at the same time I don't want to spend the money on a new shaft if it's not needed.

Mindfook.

If its knocking you will need a shaft fitting shouldn't be move than £50 as for a shaft have a look on eBay wouldn't pay more than £60 sure I've seen them for £25ish on eBay recon

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
My bad, it was late :) 2000 Ph1 1.4 8v sport.

Got some pictures of what I'm working with:
View attachment 95836View attachment 95837View attachment 95838

Can clearly see one hole that has been botched by previous owner. That's split now. And there's also another patch of grease in first pic. So I'm assuming there is two holes. So that definetely needs replacing before MOT. There is a small amount of play in the drive shaft, accompanied by a knocking sound. So I would assume that it's toast and needs replacing.

I've been quoted £65 for just the fitting if I supply parts. Which to me sounds a tad cheap tbqh.

This needs to be sorted ASAP as just over a month 'til MOT expires. Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated.

Also as stated in the first post there is a loud knocking noise when turning left, no matter what speed, whether it's 5mph or 35mph.

sorry posted before reading that reply.

C1 VTR (Company Car)
if its the outer joint gone can get a joint and boot for £35 brand new.

Where from mate?

I've found a full drive shaft w/ cv boots on for £32.50 off ebay. +£60ish for fitting at garage isn't to bad imo. Don't really have the time/tools to do it myself.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
euro car parts. part numbers 657743201 £35.40 use spring20 and its £28.32 delivered.

C1 VTR (Company Car)
Just thought I'd update this. Bought a full driveshaft off ebay, booked in for fitting on the 24th of this month.

Just hope my current one lasts, because I will do between 300-500 miles until the new one is fitted.