ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Doesnt start occasionally and a judder on the engine when starting

172 SPORT PH2
So another issue on the old RS ...

Basically its an issue where the car wont fire up... it turns and turns, but when i turn it off, and try it the second time, it fires up ...

When the car fires up second time, it will also do an awfull engine judder, like its banding , like litually someone is raving the engine out backwards and forwards ...

Could the start problem (Bare in mind it happens occasionally, its not an all the time) usually when its cold, and being stood still for a while ..But that wont happen all the time, its occasionally

Could it be

+ The crank angle sensor

+The spark between the starter motor

+ The alternator ???

Help ! :(

Megane Trophy, Golf
A lot of Sport's don't always start first time, I would check the plugs and HT leads first and coil pack. ;)

172 SPORT PH2
i replaced the spark plugs, ht leads, well im getting uprated ones when i have the cash , coil pack ?? hmm wheres this then ?

172 SPORT PH2
ahh rite, well maybe when i stripp down my engine and give it a clean, is there anything i can pick up and clean the ht leads, some thing thats safe with electrical.. like electrical contact cleaner ?...

Oh Jonff.... or wizard, where is the crank angle sensor ? could this just be dirty and just requires a clean ? ive being looking and looking for it , no joy ?

If you remove the airbox and look where the flywheel is, it's there just above the flywheel and yeah if it's dirty and gunked up it could cause starting problems.

Megane Trophy, Golf
26062008206.jpg

^^^ crank sensor

172 SPORT PH2
right, i bloody tried removing that damn thing aswell, i could get off the plastic pipe that leades into the actual airbox, after i took the top lid off etc and removed the filter... any ideas????

and when i do get to it, how would i go across cleaning it ? just a case of getting a cloth and just wipeing it down ??? cause on that pic i cant work out where abouts the sensor is ?

When I removed mine I just used a long 10mm socket and an extension bar, it's fiddley but it shouldn't be to difficult and i cleaned mine with a rag and WD40

Edit: Did you mean the airbox? I presume it should just pull out once you've removed the lid and filter, previous owner had broken the clips underneath mine so mine just came out.

172 SPORT PH2
hopefully it will be this, if i disconnect this, it wont cause the car to not function right will it , do you recon i should just get a garage to sort it ?