ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dodgy speedo!!!

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
Only just noticed this problem last couple of weeks. When accelerating above 60 the needle "dithers" as though it's sorta getting stuck, and rather than a smooth motion jerks around between 60-80+. Works fine (so far) below 60? Any suggestions? Did a quick search but didn't find anything tbh. Very annoying tho!!
Also when I brake the rear foglight indicator light on the dash flickers on weakly? Could this be connected or totally separate and bulb related? French wiring eh!

PH1 172
Speedo sensor as mentioned...

As for the light flickering, take your rear lights off and clean the connections on the connector and the bulb holder

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Light flickering could be an earth problem and the fact your speedo is only affected at certain speeds could be linked..

But the speedo sensor is a common fault, it's about £20 from Renault and takes 5 minutes to change so I'd bet on that.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Ah it's a Ph2 172 you have? In which case I believe the pickup is from the ABS sensors. My bad, not sure how you fix that one.

PH1 172
Yes ph2 172 speedo feed is taken from the abs rings on the rear brakes. Close inspection you will probably see damage to the teeth on the ABS rings. Not entirely sure if you can buy these seperate and fit them or whether it's easier to replace the rear discs with the abs rings already fitted

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
Yeah ph 2 :) and yeah I agree.... My handbrake gator is totally different to my old one. Think they are thrown together from whatever they can find lol

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
Lol this problems getting worse now, on motorway last night accelerating up to 70, needle stuck at just over 60 for a few seconds before shooting up to 140!!! Then finally settled back at just over 75!!! Do we have a difinitive answer for where this ere sensor be located on a ph2 172?

hi
my sport 172 ph2 has just started the speedo fault intermittently, whats the best course of action? rear wheels off and give ABS rings a good clean and inspection? sorry to drag up old ground guys, just need a little help.
cheers phil

If you have a phase 2 none cup then your speedo sensors (bar the odd few early cars) comes form the abs system if theres a speedo issue check your abs rings on each one one will most likly be cracked you can buy replacments from places on ebay etc just make sure they are wide enough and have the right number of teeth. If this doesn't work you need to find out what sensors faulty and chnage it its often the front ones for some reason.