ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ditching my 172 Cup

Clio 172 cup
So i was out yesterday having a little drive before i picked the misses up from work, going down a country lane doing 30mph. As i come round a blind bend im faced with a red fiesta i had a car's distance to stop as the car infront of him had decided it was a good idea to stop in the middle of the road to drop of a 70 year old man with a walking stick... instead of using his drive way. Tried to brake ofc and knew i wasn't going to stop so went around them as no one was coming slide on all the mud on the side of the road and ended up in the ditch, before i could get out the car they had both drove off great.
MgB58i.jpg

wdKqeY.jpg

S62I2R.jpg

LAmfBc.jpg

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
lucky...

if its his drive id knock on the house door and explain that her driver friend had inadvertently caused an accident. Advise in the future to drive in to the house.

It is at the end of the day your fault for not being in a position to stop so no point getting driver details etc

Clio 172 cup
lucky...

if its his drive id knock on the house door and explain that her driver friend had inadvertently caused an accident. Advise in the future to drive in to the house.

It is at the end of the day your fault for not being in a position to stop so no point getting driver details etc

Yup a very grey area, in the eyes of insurance it's my fualt as i couldn't stop regardless if i had enough time or not

i did knock on the car's door and found out who it was, so will report it to the police to have a word with him.

Ouch.

That is a really dumb thing to do on their part, they should at least compensate somehow for causing the accident imo.

If you were really going round at 30mph, then not sure what else you could have done tbh.

Clio 172 cup
Split the lower front bumper, broken carbon splitter, cracked the platic undertray. Apart from that not a mark on the car as i slide into the ditch at like 4mph

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Bummer and no matter what it will be assumed you were driving like a 'tard by the public because of the car.

Lesson learned though. Blinds bends are a total sod. I've had a few close shaves and I have been told I drive like an old woman down lanes these days unless I know the lane and it's pitfulls well.

Sodding great tractor surprised me down a lane that took up 2/3rds of the lane. Luckily it wasn't wet or muddy so I stopped in time. 106 diesel brakes aren't the best either.

Clio 172 cup
you can see where i have crossed the road as where the 2 cars would have been, so if you can from the corner you can see i hardly anytime at all to stop.

Clio 172 cup
farmer tried to help me out, but was no way for him to do it with out damaging my car. That van what you see pulled up is owner of a recovery firm helped me get it out.

Isn't this an immediate & automatic call to 111 to report two vehicles leaving the scene of an accident?

Allegedly the police take this extremely seriously?!

Even if you don't get a confession of guilt & their insurance to pay for your car (insurance route seems pointless anyway given that it'll cost a couple of £10 notes to fix) a phone call from the police asking for the contact details of who ever owns a *whatever make & model* will make them think twice before being dropped off on that corner again.

Last edited:
  Clio 172 cup
Yup i did call the police, they said i have to go in a fill in some form.... as i didn't hit him etc they don't have to come out. I know the guys name and what car and where he works so gonna get his reg then report it.

Clio 172 cup
Just done abit of digging, seems what he did was illegal you can't park on a white line where there is no curb, so i might have a chance at getting him done for it.

M2 Comp
I can't believe somebody would witness that and just drive off... it's shocking!

Fortunately, the damage doesn't look too bad and I imagine could be sorted fairly cheaply?

Clio 172 cup
Little update, spoke to couple copper friends all said its obviously his fault, showed them pictures etc. Went to the guys work refused to give his details claimed he was on private property. If you was you wouldn't have caused a accident as you would of been on his drive! His been hiding his car so gotta get his reg plate and statement from witness to progress any further.

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
Little update, spoke to couple copper friends all said its obviously his fault, showed them pictures etc. Went to the guys work refused to give his details claimed he was on private property. If you was you wouldn't have caused a accident as you would of been on his drive! His been hiding his car so gotta get his reg plate and statement from witness to progress any further.

I think if this doesnt make you buy a dash camera i dont know what would.

Unfortunate incident, and inappropriate of them to drive away, but no point pretending it's someone elses fault, they could have slowed to turn into the driveway and been effectively stationary, or caught up with a bike, or numerous other reasons including a breakdown. You drive accepting these risks and from the pictures it was slippery conditions and you couldn't see far enough ahead to warrant 30mph.

Fix the damage, chalk it up to experience and be thankful you didnt clip them and don't have to deal with the ensuing insurance hassle.

Clio 172 cup
Did you not read? He was parked In the road as I come round the corner a 70+ man with a walking stick was walking up his drive. Thats not braking down thats not turning in. The car ahead of me had enough time to stop I didn't as there was even less stopping distance as I come round the corner. It's a affence to park where he did. Its aslo driving with out due care and attention. This is a 60 mph country lane I was not speeding. and i was driving to the conditions, lets all go round corners at 15 mph?

Clio 172 cup
I guess the person that died on the a68 Becuase someone parked on a blind bend should chalk that up to experience to? And the driver who parked there didnt deserve his prison sentence.