ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Diff advice required please!

Clio 172 Cup
Unfortunately the diff on my 172 Cup exploded on saturday, good news is that it didn't damage the casing. The garage who recovered it have quoted me £1300 for a rebuilt gearbox & new clutch. Now this seems expensive to me & I also wonder if it's worth spending that amount on a car that's not worth much more than that anyway!
If I bought a 2nd hand box & had that fitted I guess I could end up with the same problem down the road so what are my best options?
I considered upgrading to a Quaife ATB diff but have been advised that it is not the best option as I hillclimb the car?

Clio 172
Depends on what else you use the car for?. I had a gripper diff in my hillclimb Clio and it was very aggressive so daily driving would it be good option, the quaiffe is supposed to be the better option if daily driving is required.
Agency transmissions are the people to speak to regards anything gearbox related without a doubt. Oh and if you go LSD route get a helix clutch & cover in there!!

340i
where are you located?

£1300 is a craaaaaaaazy price, Agency Transmission service rebuilt my gearbox with knackered diff bearings for £275.

Evo 5 RS
Had mine done in 2009 by a local company. £700 all in also with knackered diff bearings. Complete overhaul with 12k / 1 year warranty. Including removal and fitting

Evo 5 RS
Still pretty expensive tbh. Don't forget the gearbox is coming out anyway so fitting a clutch isn't exactly a problem. At all lol

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Price seams high, but then again how bad is the damage?

It may well be worth buying a working one and having that refurbed, will certainly be less than £1300.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Is that the 182 one that won't work properly on my 172 Cup? Plus, I have been told that the Quaife ATB diff is not suitable for hillclimbing?
Thanks for all the help guys :)

Some people prefer a plate type (not great on a road car then though TBH) but dont go thinking those slagging the quaiffe off mean they thing its worse than a standard open one, its a MASSIVE improvement for hillclimb use

Burpspeed use a quaife. As said a plate diff would probably be better but they aren't really good on the road and require maintenance.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Some people prefer a plate type (not great on a road car then though TBH) but dont go thinking those slagging the quaiffe off mean they thing its worse than a standard open one, its a MASSIVE improvement for hillclimb use

Yep, only time a Quaife will let you down is when one of the wheels leaves the ground and it will spin and act like an open diff, but your standard open diff will do that anyway. And when it's connected to the road you will get the benefits of power to both wheels instead of 1.

I had a TorSen on my MX5 and it was great, have driven BMWs with the Quaife diff and they're also very good, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a viscous diff and a geared diff normally imo, they spin both wheels when you want them to spin and you generally feel like you have a lot more traction.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes you literally need the wheel right off the ground for it to be an issue, if its just got a tiny bit of contact its still enough for the quaiffe to know where to put the power.

One other side effect is they can tug the car side to side a bit when you are trying to lay down a lot of power in a straight line, but only at power levels way higher than the normal open diff would be just spinning up one wheel anyway, so still a massive improvement compared to standard.

Clio 172 Cup
Anybody know how I can get hold of a Yanoo(?) shifter upgrade pretty quickly? Guessing it would be worth doing while the 'box is out? Not interested in the quickshift, just the std upgraded one.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not sure if its the same one for the 172 or not but I have just purchased a williams one that im not using yet, you would be welcome to buy that off me and then I could get another one from yanoo at a later date when I actually need it.

Clio 172 Cup
Not sure if its the same one for the 172 or not but I have just purchased a williams one that im not using yet, you would be welcome to buy that off me and then I could get another one from yanoo at a later date when I actually need it.

How would I find out if it's the same?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Have checked with Yanoo, apparently the kit is the same other than the ball insert which is different, so sounds like you will need to buy direct from him, took a few weeks for mine to come through im afraid.

Clio 172 Cup
Quick update, having spoken to the garage again the £1300 was a worst case scenario, they have now said they expect it to be £900-1000 inc a new clutch which sounds far more reasonable. Just trying to get the Yanoo shifter sorted & I'll give them the go ahead.

Stealth 438'd 182
i'm in the same situation at the moment.. not sure on weather to find a second hand box and fit one in or get mine reconditioned.. going to do it myself and fit a new clutch whilst im there.. hadn't thought about a shortshift but thats not a bad idea! any other ideas whilst im getting stuck in??

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The problem with a shortshift on these boxes is you can beat the synchros on the standard level already if you move your hand quickly, so if you do fit one you have to really be prepared to change gear more slowly or risk accelerated wear of the synchros.