ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

BG Clio 182
@gally

Just bought vantage on your reccomendation.

How's best to apply it? Should I just de tar and de iron and good wash then over then straight onto the paint?

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
What about a glass polish then lads now the G5 is ordered haha?

Oh and what would get rid of a few light marks on the dash cluster plastic surround bit that you look through to see your speedo? Would a trim restorer hide a few little scratches due to (previous) slightly over zealous cleaning?
Gtechniq G4

BG Clio 182
Oh for sure, you wanna do a full prep if you're going to bother (if you want it to last as long as it should, you could apply it over but won't last as long imo), I assumed you meant just how to apply it :tongueout:
Yeah Deffo be doing that then buddy.

You know anything for the small scratches on the interior speedo cluster bit?

Cheers mate.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Re the speedo cluster, it would need removed and polished like perspex. You could try hand polishing it in place.

Re vantage, do a proper prep and use a glaze or cleanser by hand then apply vantage with a wax mate or similar. I sometimes give my applicator a dusting of quick detailer or spray sealant. It spreads so nicely.

BG Clio 182
Re the speedo cluster, it would need removed and polished like perspex. You could try hand polishing it in place.

Re vantage, do a proper prep and use a glaze or cleanser by hand then apply vantage with a wax mate or similar. I sometimes give my applicator a dusting of quick detailer or spray sealant. It spreads so nicely.
Thanks for your response mate very much appreciated. What would you use and what steps to polish it? I'm reasonably new to interiors haha!

Ah okay so would you just de tar and de iron as it really doesn't need claying, and then apply autofinesse revitalise or lime prime by hand via a meguiars applicator pad in circular motions? Could I maybe use autofinesse Revitalise and black hole by hand on the same pad then? Would I be best buying 50 cal cover up instead?

BG Clio 182
Thanks for your response mate very much appreciated. What would you use and what steps to polish it? I'm reasonably new to interiors haha!

Ah okay so would you just de tar and de iron as it really doesn't need claying, and then apply autofinesse revitalise or lime prime by hand via a meguiars applicator pad in circular motions? Could I maybe use autofinesse Revitalise and black hole by hand on the same pad then? Would I be best buying 50 cal cover up instead?

@gally

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Just found a small amount of Werkstatt Jett that I forgot I had. Probably enough to do a roof and bonnet, maybe the wings of a Fiesta sized car. If I add some water to it I assume that I will weaken it and therefore lose some of its properties?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Only looking at the condition of the paint can anyone advise whether or not it needs tar and iron removers, and claying, dependant on the level of bonded contaminants.

As a minimum I would always use some for of pre wax cleanser, cleaner polish or glaze to ensure you remove any traces of old products leaving a good base for your new wax.

BG Clio 182
Only looking at the condition of the paint can anyone advise whether or not it needs tar and iron removers, and claying, dependant on the level of bonded contaminants.

As a minimum I would always use some for of pre wax cleanser, cleaner polish or glaze to ensure you remove any traces of old products leaving a good base for your new wax.
Would you use both a cleanser and a glaze then ? Or just say 50 cal cover up then wax?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Just one or the other really unless you want sore arms. Revitalise will leave a great clean base then just fire Vantage over it.

How swirly is your paint?

BG Clio 182
Just one or the other really unless you want sore arms. Revitalise will leave a great clean base then just fire Vantage over it.

How swirly is your paint?
Ah okay haha! I'll just go in with 50 cal then I reckon!

The paints not too bad to be fair especially when it's glazed. It's gonna get a good correcting nearer to cliosport saturday.

Am I good to apply something like 50 cal or revitalise by hand on a foam applicator? Just rub in circular motions round and round then buff off? Then wax?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
One or the other. I've never really got on with pure glazes. Pre wax cleansers and AIO's fill well, but they'll also clean the base where as a pure glaze won't. I don't know where cover up fits in to that as I've not looked into the 50cal. range

BG Clio 182
One or the other. I've never really got on with pure glazes. Pre wax cleansers and AIO's fill well, but they'll also clean the base where as a pure glaze won't. I don't know where cover up fits in to that as I've not looked into the 50cal. range
Ah okay well I've just bought cover up so I think ill use rejuvenate and then this over the top! Might whack it on via DA then

BG Clio 182
Just ordered some 50 cal cover up glaze

Will be washing and decontaminating if necessary the car. Claying too most probably. She doesn't really need a polish but is a tad swirly as she needs a little correction

I have bought some 50 cal cover up and wondered if it could be applied by hand and whether that'd be as good as by DA and how and what techniques would you use by hand to apply it? And will it cleaner the paint enough so that Vantage would sit over the top of it happily?

@Knuckles

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Werskstatt has been stopped now bought out or co owned with carlack. Polished bliss tried to give comparable carlack products but there were a few claims of differences

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Dave! I'm on it. Only want the prime though. Jet is old school stuff now.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
See my comments previously in this thread.

Use a glass polish to clean the glass effectively, wipe down with IPA/Eraser or similar then apply with cotton make up pads. Once on, buff off straight away. 5 months plus easily of water repellency. Not as good as G1 but easier to apply.

No need to use make up pads for this. A MF pad is just fine and easier in all honesty. You really don't need to be careful with application as you've said.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
As above, a much less fussy option for application and prep, but I never managed more than 3 to 4 months of decent performance. After that it was still working but not at a level I was happy with on the windscreen. Those that see more than this I'd imagine G1 would last them years. I typically see 18 months before I feel it needs re applying

Ex 182 owner
Q..How much snow foam do you need to do a clio?
I appreciate different brands will have a different concentration. But on average with say something like autobrite? Just trying to understand if 1litre last 1/2/3.. Washes.

Cheers
Chris

Cayman S Edition 1
Q..How much snow foam do you need to do a clio?
I appreciate different brands will have a different concentration. But on average with say something like autobrite? Just trying to understand if 1litre last 1/2/3.. Washes.

Cheers
Chris
I fill my snow foam bottle with 1/4 foam solution and the rest with water. Get a good 4 washes out of that.

Cayman S Edition 1
Cheers folks.
As a beginner, Just wanted to rough check the cost per wash when buying foam.
Also depends on the foam / water mixture setting. My first wash used up loads until I tweaked it a bit.

Only had it a couple of months now, but find it a great addition to my cleaning regime.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
An inch, max 2 inches of chosen product in the bottom then topped with water. This on average is enough to do 3 to 4 cars.
A few weeks ago I managed to do my mk5 golf and an a4 estate, then the next day do an old discovery, passat estate and jag XF and it started to run out as I finished the XF

The thicker the foam doesn't mean it'll clean better, just sit on the panel longer. So you don't necessarily need it coming out at a thick dilution

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
FFS.

Just been out to my car to grab my gym bag and I notice 3 big splatterings of bird poo on my car. The one on the windscreen came off easily enough. The one on the bonnet a bit harder but not too bad. The one on the roof was impossible though. It was as if it had been baked onto it. Eventually I got it off but it has already etched into the lacquer despite 2 layers of Zymol.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
G1/5 on Shower screen glass... How well does it hold up against the chemicals in Shampoo/Body wash?

Just planning on getting my detailing geek on in my home.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Both are more than resistant against generic shampoos. More of an issue is hard water spotting but it's still easier to clean off than untreated glass. G5 copes better with this than G1, both seem pretty resistant against bathroom and scale cleaners. Just re coated my shower clean with the remains of my G1

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Moving into a brand new build hopefully in a few weeks so should all be lime scale free so want to make keeping on top of it as painless as possible.

Girlfriends going to think I've lost my mind.

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Guys.
I'm after a wax for the s15 (white). That nippon shine place and it's light car wax much good?