ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decision time

1.4 8v clio
Just been driving a year now an got my renewal through, my insurance has dropped by a grand i dont know if i should keep my car an put some work into it for cheap insurance. The other option leave it get a new car after christmas like a 106 gti or something. Its a 1.4 clio, 5 door :( currently has renault 19 turbines on which i want to swap to standard sport wheels if im to keep it, please dont tell me leave it standard an keep it for another year because thats not a option! :) , thanks in advance

320d
Get a 172 then. I was going to get a 106 GTI when I was 19 and then add SS exhaust, manifold, IK, cams and a remap totalling like £1500 to make it 172 pace. Then I did the sensible thing and bought a 172 which was the car I actually wanted. Cost hardly anything extra too, the GTI's are silly expensive for what they are. Saxo VTS is much better value.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
And 172s arent silly expensive? Insurance will be nigh on 2k for you, maybe more. Do some test quotes, its what comparison websites are there for!

Monaco 172
Defo check the insurance 1st m8, i moved up from a 1.2 to a 172 and my insurance jumped £3000 and thats with 5 years no claims. Damn this BD postcode, Damn it to hell :evil:

PH2 172, Kangoo
Make a sport rep if that's what you want to do, or save the money you would have spent on all that sport gear and put it away for a year and buy yourself a 172 when your insurance drops, which it should!

1.4 8v clio
On a 172 my insurance is like 3.2 a year, realistically i can move to a 1.6 , so vtr,106gti, clio 1.6 16v, fiesta zetec but im not sure if its worth all the hassle !

Clio 1.2 - 41k miles
Your lucky mines 3.2 a year on a 1.2 8V :p I'd happily have a 172 for 3.2k!! (Although I'm 17 so it costs 6.5k lol)

1.4 8v clio
Yeh mine was 2.1 k on a 1.4 8v but if i payed monthly it was like 3.4k, yet my mates 19 an has a 2ltr turbo astra gsi :/

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
seriously wtf some of these prises are ricidulous but they seem 'ok' to people, i had my 1.2 until i was 21 for me taking it up the arse from insurance companys because you want a quicker car than your mates lets face it seems crazy

RS6 C7
1.6 clios are great cars, Not very good MPG but drive very well. I currently have no cars as insurance is silly, On the look out for something but i dont know what!

I waited until I was 21, much on the basis of advice on here! Stayed with the 1.2 Got to 21, 4 years ncb's, and bought my 182... love it to bits, and now don't regret waiting at all!! ( I did have a 1.9dci megane for a while, although the leather was luxury im too much of a petrol head to have enjoyed it!)

flol some of these prices are shocking for insurance,i thought £650 was high, i would rather catch the bus than pay out 3.5k.

op you're in a no win situation, buy a 172 get bankrupt on insurance/or turn yours into a replica get bankrupt once declared to insurance.

best thing to do is tidy it up ,servicing,alloys and drive it for another year.

Keep it for another year, drive carefully, protect your NCB. Do some little mods here and there to keep you entertained, don't spend a fortune and then next year you could have something really nice if you save hard.

172 Cup CC
I ran a 954cc citroen AX until I was 20 to build no claims! My first years insurance was £515, which I thought was horrific at the time (compared pretty well against my mates in Novas and Fiestas etc). I'm so glad I'm older, my cup with mods declared is less than £400 fully comp with business use!

If it was me, I would keep the 1.2 for another year, get the no claims up. I wouldn't throw money at it in mods either, everytime you think about modding it, take the money you would have spent and stick it in a savings account, at the end of the year that should give you a nice fund to buy a different car with.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Keep it for another year, keep it standard and wait until your insurance comes down. This is the best option.

Ibiza FR Edition
I waited until I was 21 to get my 182, running a 1.2 16v until then, so glad I waited, no point paying silly amounts for insurance!