ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decided to turbo my 182

clio 182
Hi everyone I'm new to this site :) I've read a few threads about turboing the clios and decided to do it :) along with the help of cs as I see people are very helpful on here which is always a good thing.

Just started to buy the parts :)

I've got 225 megane internals will these fit straight in or is there anything I need to know and do?

Got my turbo which I'm going to run the gt2860

got the ktec map sensor

im gettin the intercooler kit off ed but wish the pipes were polished chrome instead of black

I'm gunna get the ed manifold and oil feed pipe and down pipe and link pipe and fuel pump

Another thing I was undecided about is management dunno what's the best to run. And who can set it up as close to South Wales as possible so if anyone could shed some light on this would be good
And ill use megane spark plugs. What's the best injectors to run and clutch.

I'm looking to have it running about 280 which the megane internals can handle nicely without straining them cheers guys

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
stevenajames2012 said:
I've read a few threads about turboing the clios and decided to do it :)

Just started to buy the parts

I've got 225 megane internals will these fit straight in or is there anything I need to know and do? What other engine work will need doing internally like cams etc?

Just fit the rods and pistons with some new rings and some ARP rod bolts, thats fine, nothing else needed, 172 cams are fine.

Got my turbo which I'm going to run the gt2860

Ok

got the ktec map sensor
Why?

im gettin the intercooler kit off ed but wish the pipes were polished chrome instead of black
Thats a decent kit, black is easy to maintain but depends if you are bothered about shiney things or not, im not.

I'm gunna get the ed manifold and oil feed pipe and down pipe and link pipe and fuel pump
Just wondering aswell how do you go about the oil feed to the turbo?

T it off the oil pressure switch output on the pump

Another thing I was undecided about is management dunno what's the best to run. And who can set it up as close to South Wales as possible so if anyone could shed some light on this would be good
And ill use megane spark plugs. What's the best injectors to run and clutch.

Dont know who is good in south wales, the management I would recomend is sadly no longer available, they have a new product coming out but not for 6 months or so, Omex 600 is "ok" and at least its well supported, so I guess I would recomend that at the moment.

Megane plugs are fine.

Use megane injectors.

I've got a 6 paddle helix clutch with an uprated cover, works well but is 500 quid, stnadard cover and a 4 paddle plate is the cheap option (what mine used to be on the 260bhp setup)

I'm looking to have it running about 280 which the megane internals can handle nicely without straining them cheers mate
Yes that should be fine.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
have a look at T.Trophy's thread in this section (how to build a 300bhp+ clio).

everything you need to know will be in there apart from the internal stuff since your using oe megane internals :)

i always wondered though, the Clio has such huge valve cutouts probably because off the vvc. won't the valves foul the 225 pistons then?
i guess vvc is a no go in that case...

172 cup, Impreza P1

everything you need to know will be in there apart from the internal stuff since your using oe megane internals :)

i always wondered though, the Clio has such huge valve cutouts probably because off the vvc. won't the valves foul the 225 pistons then?

Megane pistons are shorter so clear the valves.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team

any info on this Chip?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
FAR cheaper ways of going boost.

Kind of, TBH there isnt anything bad value in that kit, and its all stuff you do need, only way to get significantly cheaper is to go for 2nd hand for some of the parts.

For anyone wanting an all new complete kit, I think they will struggle to beat that for a 280bhp suitable setup.

Ive got NO ties to ED and I havent used the kit myself, so Im not trying to sell it here, someone just asked how much it was so I replied, but I do think its reasonable value for what you get.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
As Laine says, the standard Clio pistons only have small cutouts anyway.

i guess i have a special set of pistons then because they seem pretty big to me, especially as the megane's have none...

Megane sport vs Clio sport vs Williams:

foto.jpg

HBT 172 Cup
Im going to eat my words here, i fired up the new engine properly today, and i heard something i didnt like, when the VVT engages the pistons are hitting the valves, proper gutted as im sure people had done this previously with no problems at all.

No sure what to do now, fit wossners, machine cutouts into meganne pistons, or try and swing the cam timing a bit, there is no issue at all when VVT solenoid is unplugged.

gutted.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
i guess when you heard that the valves must be f*cked now? if not just rip off the vvt pulley and fit Megane pulley or just leave the solenoid unplugged....

btw, do you have a thread of the engine/car?

clio 182
Im going to eat my words here, i fired up the new engine properly today, and i heard something i didnt like, when the VVT engages the pistons are hitting the valves, proper gutted as im sure people had done this previously with no problems at all.

No sure what to do now, fit wossners, machine cutouts into meganne pistons, or try and swing the cam timing a bit, there is no issue at all when VVT solenoid is unplugged.

gutted.

thats not good isit :/ what can be done to avoid this?? im getting my megane internals next week sometime? cheers

HBT 172 Cup
No bent valves, i think i got lucky. Not just a couple of a weeks ago there was a bloke on here posting the same problems, his was considerably worse sounding than mine >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xAIBnRwX6M

I was thinking to dabble with the cam timing i wouldnt know where to set it, or when i change the cambelt where to reliably set it to again unless i had a specially bent tool (ala 'Group N' timing spec)

Im wondering what impact running no VVT will have on power. Maybe i could use meggy 225 camshafts and fixed pulleys? i need to do some more reading into it.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
just use fixed pulleys on this cams mate. Chip isn't running vvt either. iirc it would only benefit down low.

HBT 172 Cup
is it not possible to fit a thicker HG to clear the valves?

Yes Meganne 225 headgasket the gasket is thicker, but it was over £100 for the gasket set (cant buy seperately), had ro order from france and CBA in the end just used a more convinent clio gasket.

I cant change the inlet cam to fixed pulley, means changing it to a non VVT camshaft e.t.c may aswell just leave the VVT unplugged.

Just put 60 miles on the engine, all is well so far.

clio 182
Yes Meganne 225 headgasket the gasket is thicker, but it was over £100 for the gasket set (cant buy seperately), had ro order from france and CBA in the end just used a more convinent clio gasket.

I cant change the inlet cam to fixed pulley, means changing it to a non VVT camshaft e.t.c may aswell just leave the VVT unplugged.

Just put 60 miles on the engine, all is well so far.

So If I used a megane hg it should be ok? Cheers

HBT 172 Cup
I wouldnt know mate... maybe it would, maybe it wouldnt, something i doubt anyone has the answer too unless they actually built and engine with those parts and tested it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I will be running vvt off boost when at full throtle later on but haven't got round to wiring it in yet so for now I don't have it.
Wouldnt want it in boost on 197 cams as the excess overlap would cause high egt. I used to run it via the standard Ecu controlling it on the 172 cams before.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
i guess i have a special set of pistons then because they seem pretty big to me, especially as the megane's have none...

Megane sport vs Clio sport vs Williams:

foto.jpg

i stand corrected, I forgot mine is on forged Megane pistons and that standard ones don't have the little cut outs in them.

Would be very easy to machine them in though.

HBT 172 Cup
The VVT allows 16 degrees of swing.

CHip ive tried doing some basic reading on cam timing and understand the basics. If i were to change the static timing of the inlet cam to 8 degrees retarded. Which would then allow for a lower 8 degrees of inlet advance when the VVT is energised (and all being well avoid and piston and valve contact).

Advancing the inlet at lower RPM helps the torque, what effects will retarding the inlet at high load / high RPM have (-8 degrees), while keep the exahsut cam at static 0 degree.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The VVT allows 16 degrees of swing.

CHip ive tried doing some basic reading on cam timing and understand the basics. If i were to change the static timing of the inlet cam to 8 degrees retarded. Which would then allow for a lower 8 degrees of inlet advance when the VVT is energised (and all being well avoid and piston and valve contact).

Advancing the inlet at lower RPM helps the torque, what effects will retarding the inlet at high load / high RPM have (-8 degrees), while keep the exahsut cam at static 0 degree.

Broadly speaking r****d at high rpm will increase high rpm power as you end up with a situation where by as the induction stroke time base shortens its later in the compression stroke that the power equalises with the inlet ports and ideally you want to shut the inlet valve just as that is achieved. But the devil is in the detail so it depends how far from that point you are in the First place as to if you see the benefit from retarding it.

HBT 172 Cup
I meant retarded in the fact the valve opens a fair chunk later than the 172 one. What affect does it have if the inlet closes slightly later (the brown 172 line would shift to the RHS of the purple line by 2-3mm).

Sorry if this all sounds dumb, got a lot of questions flying about in my head and hard to write them down :D

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Will reply in more detail when on pc not phone but like I said above, at high rpm the cylinder pressure equalises later on the compression stroke so its an advantage to close the valve later.