ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Death of an engine

clio 182 FF silver
My low mileage 182 suddenly started misfiring on the motorway with no warning - see picture.
Looks like the tip of plug has fallen off into the engine (plug is not too clear in photo and has been damaged but no sign of tip). This has caused the damage seen on the left and also damaged the bore so the engine is scrap - not my lucky day!:(
Has anyone come across anything like this before?
Thanks Greg IMG-20130427-00436.jpg

clio 182 FF silver
That was the view of the the garage that dismantled it. The head of the valve appears to be jammed but I guess it could have broken off then then got jammed. The only other information I have is that the only engine error code was multiple engine misfire. The car was revving at about 4000revs then with no warning if felt as if it went onto 3 cylinders and a load of smoke out the back would. When stopped it would still turn over but with nasty rattle - hardly surprising!

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I had the exact same on a 2.5 V6 Super Toutibg Vectra about 10 years ago.
i was amazed to see the head of the valve snapped off and jammed sideways just like yours.

​i just sourced a replacement head and refitted, job done and back on the road a week later.

clio 182 FF silver
Logically i guess it does seem more likely that the valve failed , unfiortunately in my case bits have distributed and piston and bore damaged so engine is a write off.
I guess valve failure on A 45k clio engine is still very unusual?

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Deffo not worth the cost of a rebuild. Just chuck another lump in.

Any idea why the valve failed though? Incorrect timing?

They look like the valves I took out when my first engine had cambelt failure destroying 12 of the valves.

The replacement third party valves I put in didn't look like these though.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
doesn't help having thin stems with friction welded heads, but worn valve guides can contribute by applying side load to the valve head, also bouncing off the rev limiter is a bad idea, IMO you're getting valve bounce, and then uncontrolled slamming shut.

clio 182 FF silver
doesn't help having thin stems with friction welded heads, but worn valve guides can contribute by applying side load to the valve head, also bouncing off the rev limiter is a bad idea, IMO you're getting valve bounce, and then uncontrolled slamming shut.

Thanks, I have not abused but have only had the car over the winter so no knowledge of previous activities. On the face of it just a low mileage car with reasonable service history - but you never know.
Wish I had bought from a dealer now!