ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

De-Cat - 1.2 16v - Performance or standard ?

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Needing a new de-cat for my car.

Wondering if its worth getting a performance one or just sticking to a normal one ?

Thanks

Ben

eh? theres no such thing as a standard de-cat! Presume you mean you need a new catalytic converter and should you get a decat or sport cat or standard cat. As you have a 1.2 jsut get a standard one as it will make f**k all difference getting a sport cat or decat and if you get a decat you will still need a standard cat for MOT

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
prob a 250 cell cat, Why do you want a decat on your car mate, its a lot of money for fu-k all .

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Think im getting mixed up. Its a standard part on the car but needing replaced but wondering if I should get a better one ?

mk2 ph1
You have a CAT as standard. K-tec do a sports CAT, which is really half way between a CAT and having a De-CAT (no CAT at all, just a pipe) which may pass the MOT, seems to differ from car to car.

If you do need to replace it go to a scrapy or if you do want a de-cat any decent exhaust place should be able to sort you out. My local place is Pro-speed so £40 and i had a nice de-cat

Breaking A 172 Replica
Get the standard cat again if I were you mate. The 1.2 16v engine as fitted to your car has some weird flexy joints and therefore exhaust places can't readily make up a decat for you as JamoJamoJamo suggests.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Im I better paying £200 plus for this or getting one from a scappy then getting someone to fit it ?

Staying standard by the way

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Brembo, you could do it yourself on your drive way. Just jack the car up and support the front with axel stands.

Socket and a spanner on the bolts, take the cat off, then replace it, its a swap out and straight swap job.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Another question...

Whats the diffrence between ceramic and steel ?

Which one should I get ?

ceramic is cheaper but wont last as long (will still last a long time) stainless is more expensive but will last longer, not worth it imo unless you intend to keep it untill the car dies