ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DCi wastegate query

DUB mk2 golf gti!
need an intercooler for a dumpvalve me thinks,not quite sure?anyway dci 65's dnt ave um?im not the expert on dci's?

M135i
right, ill do my best to explain.
icon_lol.gif

you can get a dump valve for a diesel. although there really isnt any benefit apart for the noise.

petrol cars use a dump valve to 'dump' excess boost when the throttle is closed. if a dump valve/re-circ valve is not used then the boost will build up behind the throttle plate, causing the turbo to stall. this over time will cause turbo failure as the turbo shaft usually breaks in two or the bearings fail.

as diesels dont use a throttle plate, there is nothing for the boost to build up against. it just vents through the cylinder cycle. so they dont need to use a dump valve, re- circ valve.

you can get a dump valve for a diesel but it is electronically operated. the dump valve it fitted after the intercooler. the vacuum hose off the dumpvalve (the thing that makes it open) goes to a electronic vacuum unit. this is operated by a throttle sensor. a vacuum is created when the throttle is depressed, making the dumpvalve open. the air comes out of the dumpvalve as it is an easier escape route than going through the engine. (high/low pressure theory)

hope this helps paint the picture a little. if not ill try to answer any more questions the best i can.

if you are after a dumpvalve speak to http://www.thedervdoctor.co.uk/

if im wrong someone put me right. :)

Clio 182
Ah right, so no dump valve for me.lol. I am an apprentice technician but only been doing it for 3 months so better wait till I build up my knowledge. Then maybe consider fitting an intercooler. I dont know much about turbo systems.

Thanks for the info,
Mark.