ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup won't start, possibly electrical issue?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
This morning the cup wouldn't start, a relay clicks in the passenger footwell but that's it.

I've checked the battery which is healthy
I put a jump lead from battery to engine but wouldn't start
I've checked resistance between battery to gearbox, battery to engine and all readings are low ohms

So it could be the starter, but I'm not sure how I can get to that (any help here?, will I have to get it up on axle stands are is it accessible from the top?)

But, also I have an issue where when I close me drivers window, if it is already closed the hazards come on. Someone said it was the little earths under the rear lights but they seem fine when I checked them just now.

Then, while I was messing about this morning trying to start it, doing the above, it started locking and unlocking itself, and once the wipers came on. Could this be a UCH issue?

The immobiliser light goes out ok every time though.

Any help?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
UCH fault Mike... They are bloody funny things when they go wrong. Needs CLIP to confirm though before panick buying.

Mick

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
That's what I feared.

However, it finally started yesterday thanks to goodwill and positive thoughts. And it has started first time ever since, could it be a faulty starter motor solenoid that's sticking? Now it's being used regularly it's fine.

Still got some weird light issues though, but I'm sure thats a bad earth. I have found some corroded connections on the back of the light unit itself, cleaned them up and it has improved things but not totally sorted them, I put this down to not being able to clean all the contacts perfectly though so will have to find something to do that with.

Focus
Same happened to my old 182, started randomly one day fine for a week then stopped again, was starter motor, give it a go at push starting I would suggest maybe?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Same happened to my old 182, started randomly one day fine for a week then stopped again, was starter motor, give it a go at push starting I would suggest maybe?

Well it's started now, bit difficult to push start where I live as I have to go uphill off the drive, then 150 yards on the flat to get to a downhill.

I am thinking starter motor though, I can live with other electrical gremlins along as I'm road legal.

How did you get to the starter motor?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I'll give you a grand for it.

No more electrical starting problems then. :)

It has been spot on ever since, infact it's been an awesome little car to drive. Not caring about it makes it so much more fun!

I'll keep your offer in mind, if I decide to sell.

markerboy2002

East Of England - Norfolk
ClioSport Area Rep
  Liquid Yellow 182
clean the earth on the started motor. mine was rank and did the same thing as yours is. one new battery and clean earth connection later it was back to full glory