ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup racer inspired brake ducts

My trusty lil 182 :)
After bedford trackday it was clear that my brakes could do with a little help to keep them cooler. The obvious was to use the fog light surround as most people do, but with the shape of the bumper could see that a lot of air would just go past. Other option was cup racer ducts but couldn't justify the money. So one sheet of aluminium and a few hours later:

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

Sprayed with a few coats of hammerite:

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

Not the greatest finish, but completely removable (all the fog mounts behind are intact) and hopefully functional. Also knocked up a quick deflector for in the arch. Just got some 102mm caf tubing so need to pop that in at the weekend.

Cheers all. As said cup racer ducts are £150+ and you have to cut out the fog light mounts to fit them. These were under £25 including the caf tubing and completely removable :) Whole point of the car is track functionality but me being me i might make them look a bit neater soon.

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
I cringed when you showed them on the car bare aluminium and expected to see hilarious comments, but in matt black the look pretty damn good! Great job!

Tav

Clio 197
The finish is pretty rough but it's not a bad idea. Maybe if you got the shape spot on you could have these laser cut for relatively little money...you could even have the fold lines etched on. Then it'd just be a case of folding them up like origami with a couple of wee spot welds to hold them together. No way I'd spend £150 on a couple of bits of fibre glass. DIY ftw! No need to spend huge amounts of money on bought parts a lot of the time.

You should test them out and see if they work. Could back it up using a brake temperature strip that shows maximum temp before and after...but if you eradicate fade you'll know yourself it was worth while. Prob. not going to be as good as the cup racer ones but at a fraction of the price you can't complain?

Last edited:
  330Ci (Fail)Sport
Looks great. I'll be sorting out some brake cooling in the coming months and love the Cup Racer ones but am not paying that amount for them! Yours look really good and for, the price, are amazing. Awesome value too.

Focus RS mk1
ah i spotted this car on the car park at silverstone had a good look around it looked good and at 1st i thought they was the cup racer ducts but yours look like they fit better! where did you get your cage from?

ah i spotted this car on the car park at silverstone had a good look around it looked good and at 1st i thought they was the cup racer ducts but yours look like they fit better! where did you get your cage from?

Cheers. Cage was an ex MSV one, bought off here. Think I might get a full weld in jobbie soon but it gives me a little bit of comfort for now.

Reckon more people would buy the fiber glass ones if they were about £50 + P&P?

If they were only that much I probably wouldn't have considered making my own.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
When we are going out for dinner Mr? maybe you two should come round for us to "entertain" :) have next door dropped the price enough for us to move yet? hehe