ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup packs and Insurance

Clio Renaultsport 182
Anyone else had problems trying to explain the Cup packs to their insurance company?

Spent 30 mins on the phone yesterday trying to distinguish between factory options and aftermarket modified :mad:

Basically, they've put my ff 182 with both Cup packs as having a body kit and modified, lowered suspension, which obviously puts the premium up.

Surely if you tick an options box at the dealers whether it's for sat nav, a sun roof, leather seats or different (ie. Cup) suspension it's a factory installed option and clearly not an after market mod?

The only reason I'm being so picky is that I've had problems with insurance companys in the past.

My reasoning is that in the event of a claim that needed an engineers report he/she would come out and say "Oh, it's got different suspension and a spoiler - you ain't insured pal..."

I just don't think I should be fleeced for having a modded car when it's not.

Maz

LY 200
Which company is it ??

Maybe it was just the person you spoke to being numb ?? I have found this with Tesco before .. talked to one person who didn't have a clue, lost my patients, hung up, called back and spoke to someone who had a better knowledge and hey presto ..

Hope you get it sorted

Marie :)

Ad

MK2 FRS
I had this with Privilege and did what Maz did. worked a treat. Dont say its not standard, just state they are factory options.

I was glad i listed mine as it got me the extra few hundred quid when the 182 was stolen.

Lionel Richie
its not moddified, its factory standard

would you tell your insurance company if your car had an optional sunroof?? or satnav?? or leather? or its been superguarded??

no

Clio Renaultsport 182
FredYozzasport said:
its not moddified, its factory standard

would you tell your insurance company if your car had an optional sunroof?? or satnav?? or leather? or its been superguarded??

no

That's exactly how I explained it. Am getting on the blower right now to sort it. Wish me luck.........

Black/Gold 182
Bell Direct and Direct Line insisted they had to be declared. Do a search and you will find a few threads on this.

Black/Gold 182
ps I had to cancel my Bell direct insurance because of this. I take the point about options but I tried to argue that and they wouldn't have it...

Clio Renaultsport 182
Aaaaarrrggghh!!! 10 minutes on the phone and still no damn better off. The bloke I spoke to said that the policy hadn't been explained properly and it's all modifications and options packs that incur a higher premium.

He suggested that if I get a letter from Renault stating that it is not modified then they might consider it. (Erm, but they're still option packs....)

What a load of crap.

Def. not going to let it go. Wonder if my Ren dealer will have a clue what I'm on about......

Maz

LY 200
themanwho, what company is this ?? are you renewing your policy or making a change to it ??

Clio Renaultsport 182
Maz said:
Which company is it ??

Maybe it was just the person you spoke to being numb ?? I have found this with Tesco before .. talked to one person who didn't have a clue, lost my patients, hung up, called back and spoke to someone who had a better knowledge and hey presto ..

Hope you get it sorted

Admiral. (New policy.)

Spoken to 3 people about it now. Clueless ****ers.

:banghead:

Lee

BMW M2C
I had the same with Tesco. I called and explained what it was, the person I spoke to decided it was a modified car even though it left the factory that way. I called back a couple of days later, and made sure I worded what I said a little better "factory fitted Cup packs" as opposed to explaining in detail what it was. They said as it left the factory that way it was fine.

First Alternative were fine also, and when it came to covering the Trophy they just worked out a price based on the 182 Cup as the Trophy wasn't in the system at the time.

People on the end of the phone are not sad enough to know what a cup pack is so calling themb dumb is hardly fair.

I'm with Fred on this one, Renaultsport Clio 182 no modifications. job done. (unless THEY ask you about Cup packs of course)

Golf R
themanwho said:
Admiral. (New policy.)

Spoken to 3 people about it now. Clueless ****ers.

:banghead:

it's not only Cup packs they don't understand, i have been arguing with them about them deciding my car is a Cup when in fact it's a Trophy. They search by the number plate and still insist it's a Cup. If however, I put the reg no details on their website, it finds my car as a Trophy.

I'm still giving them ear-ache. The problem is that they have indian call centres who don't understand the differences in the cars. Call them during the day and you start to get somewhere - try 0870 013 6170, the english call centre i spoke to knew a bit more!

Golf R
Lee said:
I had the same with Tesco. I called and explained what it was, the person I spoke to decided it was a modified car even though it left the factory that way. I called back a couple of days later, and made sure I worded what I said a little better "factory fitted Cup packs" as opposed to explaining in detail what it was. They said as it left the factory that way it was fine.

First Alternative were fine also, and when it came to covering the Trophy they just worked out a price based on the 182 Cup as the Trophy wasn't in the system at the time.

Does your policy state your car is a Trophy or a 182 Cup? I am having this problem at the moment - see my above post

Cheers,

Gareth

Clio Renaultsport 182
^^^ Day, Fair enough "Cup pack" is not going to be a well known phrase but "factory fitted suspension and spoiler options packs" is fairly clear......

Lee

BMW M2C
As I said, when I got the Trophy it wasn't on the system so the underwriter quoted it based on a Cup and then added a note to the policy. It showed it was a 182 Cup 1. The one refering to a note on their system. This year it is on the system so it's down as a Trophy. Who are you with? As all the companies I had quotes from last month now had the Trophy down on the system?

If the 182/182 Cup are the same insurance group, can you not just insure it as a 182 Cup or is that one of my most stupid ideas?

Clio Renaultsport 182
Day said:
If the 182/182 Cup are the same insurance group, can you not just insure it as a 182 Cup or is that one of my most stupid ideas?

Well, I thought of that but as I said I've had sooo many problems with ins. companies before that I don't want to state it as a Cup when it's not.

Again, "Says here mate that it's a Cup. Well it's not...so you're not insured. See ya..."

Maz

LY 200
Day said:
People on the end of the phone are not sad enough to know what a cup pack is so calling themb dumb is hardly fair.

I didn't call them dumb I said numb and like themanwho has said they should know the difference between factory fitted and aftermarket, that was the point I was trying to make :D

I totally undersatnd where you are coming from themanwho as you just can't be too careful with insurance companies and I am exactly the same with declaring everthing because at the end of the day they can turn round and say oh that makes your policy void and thats £500+ down the drain .. lol and yes I am that sad that I would tell them I have a factory fitted sunroof (if I did) :eek:

If you arn't getting anywhere ask to speak to a supervisor or the complaints department becuase you should not be out of pocket because of someones lack of knowledge imho :S

Hope you get it sorted

Marie :D

Golf R
Lee said:
As I said, when I got the Trophy it wasn't on the system so the underwriter quoted it based on a Cup and then added a note to the policy. It showed it was a 182 Cup 1. The one refering to a note on their system. This year it is on the system so it's down as a Trophy. Who are you with? As all the companies I had quotes from last month now had the Trophy down on the system?

I'm with Admiral

Clio Renaultsport 182
Cheers Maz,

checked on renaultsport.co.uk and aparantely in the past someone had to get RSUK to write a letter to the insurance co. before they'd sort it. It's not a huge amount of money tbh but I just don't see why I sould payit.

Tried other companies with pretty much the same response but Admiral were a bit cheaper - would've thrashed it out for longer yesterday but I needed to get the thing insured asap.

Will

Golf R
Well i've got mine sorted out and finally got them to find a Trophy listed, hope you have better luck Will - though i'd definitely recommend calling them during office hours

Maz

LY 200
No problem Will, I have a copy of the original reciept from reno that states the factory fitted "cup packs" if it is any use to you ?? (I know its specific to my car but it may help them to understand)

Have you tried Adrian Flux or greenlight for a quote ?? I am still looking as my insurance is due on 10th but at the moment Greenlight are the best by far for me but I still need to call Aplan

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Greenlight are good but they don't replace like for like on your mods... I went with Adrian Flux which is underwritten by Royal Sun Alliance. About 100 quid more but they do NCB protected after 4 years, as a pose to Greenlight where you have to have 5 years to qualify for protected NCB. Also haggle about 5/10 percent when ur on the phone and they will budge

Also on your VIN plate it states the options your car came with out of the factory, so you just need Renault to confirm this and hey presto

Clio Renaultsport 182
Maz said:
No problem Will, I have a copy of the original reciept from reno that states the factory fitted "cup packs" if it is any use to you ?? (I know its specific to my car but it may help them to understand)Marie :)

Maz, that would make you a :star: !

I don't have the orig. receipt for mine but I guess one (mostly standard)Artic Blue '04 182 with both Cup packs is much the same as another!

Scan and e-mail or PM me for fax when you get a mo. (Thanks!)

If not, may just try to get Renault to write a letter.

Cheers for all the advice everyone - the bit about office hours is def. true. The guy I spoke to yesterday evening sounded like he was about to die.....

Will

Maz

LY 200
^^ I will get it scanned in tomorrow for you Will, PM me and remind if I don't send it by Sunday :)

tiTTy & SV650
I've always just given the registration number, any factory fitted extras should be identifiable through that where traced back to the manufacturer, so sod it!

Clio 182
Day said:

Cup's are a lot cheaper though :S

I had all this s**t when trying to get a quote from Privilege, I spent 20 odd minutes trying to explain to some dumb girl that they are factory fitted options which I paid £200? for. She couldn't grasp that fact. Simpler to go with a company which understands imo.

Clio Renaultsport 182
^^^ Exactly. Don't know the exact resale value difference but it's gonna be less - and that's if they pay out at all because "it's not the exact model on the policy, sir.....blah, blah, blah"

After 5 mins of fairly basic explanation from me, one girl actually said "Oh! Now I see! So you bought the bits and did it up yourself......" :rolleyes:

Maz

LY 200
Got that paperwork scanned in for you Will, if you drop me a pm with your e-mail address I will send it to you :)

Golf GTD
how do you know what cup packs are? all you know is you bought the car as it is, didnt realise there was any other way of buying it.

thats the angle i'd take if they claimed they wouldnt pay out.

Silver 182 F/F
Direct line insured my f/f 182 as a Cup,but when it got stolen a few months later they tried to pay out on a Cup but i just argued with them and asked them to play back the tape recording of me having problems trying to insure the thing in the first place with cup packs they changed there mind and bought me a new f/f 182 then renewed the insurance again as a Cup.
Nobody at insurance companys seems to know what one is and they seem to have no car knowledge what so ever.

Silver 182 F/F
Also Direct line told me it was classed as a performance upgarde that's why you should declare them,so that's why they put it down as a Cup due to having same performance.

Racing Blue 182
why dont one of you ask justin and the other guy who crashed there racing blue 182s. im sure they were with admiral/elephant. find out if they had there cup packs delared and if they had any problems.

Just a thought

Golf GTI PP Mk7
its not a cup, when they ask what car it is, just say its a Clio 182. if they ask if its modified, say no, becuase it isnt. Should you need to make a claim i find it highly unlikely it would be invalid becuase u didnt declare your cup packs.

with direct line, i declared mine as a 182 with factory fitted cup packs options, then when my policy came through, it said '182 cup' which is wrong! so i did a quick quote on their website, and when it came to entering the reg plate, i did that, and the car listed was again a '182 cup' so surely their database is wrong? and that isnt my fault, ive entered the correct reg plate and they haven't got the exact model, so im not sure wether i should ring them up and ask them to change it or not?

Clio Renaultsport 182
Jonas7 said:
ive entered the correct reg plate and they haven't got the exact model, so im not sure wether i should ring them up and ask them to change it or not?

I'm not sure to be honest but I'd want something in writing along the lines of "Clio Renaultsport 182 with Cup Spolier Pack and Cup Suspension Pack". That way the b**tards can't wriggle out of any claim.