ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cruise control problem

clio sport 182 ff
Hi Guys, Have a small problem with my cruse control, if i press the button on before i start the car i can set the speed i want, if i depress the clutch i can resume by pressing the R button, but if i depress the brake it will not resume? nor can i set the speed if i press the cruse control button after iv started the car? any help will be much appreciated!

Mk2 Ph2 172
You need to be driving for cruise control to work !!!!

You can't just set it while sitting still

Or have I mis read this

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
It needs to be doing over 18mph to work. Also...if you engage brake or clutch, it will deactivate the cc as if you tapped the brake and it was still working...you would potentially shoot into the car in front.

If you have set it at a speed while moving...then brake or change gear, if you press the 'R' button it will resume with the set speed on there (if you are exceeding 18mph)...if you press '+' button it will go to whatever speed you are doing at that time over 18mph if the cc had been deactivated by brake, clutch or pressing '0' button.

clio sport 182 ff
what i mean is if i press the cc button on before i start the car i can set whilst on the move. if i try the cc button after iv started the car the green light comes on but you cant set the speed. plus the light goes off on the moterway after a couple of miles but will come back on if tou brake?

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
what i mean is if i press the cc button on before i start the car i can set whilst on the move. if i try the cc button after iv started the car the green light comes on but you cant set the speed. plus the light goes off on the moterway after a couple of miles but will come back on if tou brake?

So if you are driving at say 30 and you press the '+' button (with green light for cc on) it doesnt then say 30 SET on the digital display?

clio sport 182 ff
what iv found is i can set what speed i want as long as i dont touch the brake once the brake is pressed the cc wont come on again unless you turn the ignition off and on again?

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
The brake will automatically cancel the cruise control. You can resume the preset speed by pressing resume button. In theory you can drive the car totally on the buttons for the cruise control on a clear road. You can increase or decrease the speed using the plus and minus buttons either by holding it in until the speed is to whatever you require or just press it quickly to make a small adjustment.
But if you switch the engine off the memory will cancel whatever speed was set on the last time it is in use. You will have to set the speed each time you switch cruise control on.

clio sport 182 ff
Success! Found out it was the rear lights that was causing the problem. I had fitted led style rear clusters, they apparently cause havoc with the cruse control. The ecu sends a signal to the rear lights via the brake switch that rebounds back to the ecu. Because led lights use a different frequency the ecu can't read the signal hence the fault. Hope this Will help others in a similar situation :D

Clio 182
I havent tried turning the cruise control on before I start my car but when started I turn mine on, the green light is on, but I am unable to start cruise control with the +/- or any of the buttons. Set comes up on the trip computer but it wont actually let me set a speed. The same happens with the speed limiter. Anyone have any ideas?

Regards,

Nick

P.s i have standard rear bulbs!

2014 Clio 200t edc
Does anyone else notice the speed you can select both varies and differs from the speedo? I can only sometimes select exactly 30, sometimes it jumps from 29-31 and others I can get 30. All speeds vary the same. Also if I select exactly 40 on the cruise control, the speedo reads 42/3.

02 Iceberg 172
I havent tried turning the cruise control on before I start my car but when started I turn mine on, the green light is on, but I am unable to start cruise control with the +/- or any of the buttons. Set comes up on the trip computer but it wont actually let me set a speed. The same happens with the speed limiter. Anyone have any ideas?

Regards,

Nick

P.s i have standard rear bulbs!

Did it use to work ok? Perhaps you need a new clutch switch - if that is no longer working then the cc probably won't work...

Clio 182
Yeah it used to work fine, although it was temperamental. Some days it wouldn't work but it was rare.

02 Iceberg 172
Could've been tempermental because of a dodgy clutch switch - I don't think they are too expensive so might be worth getting another one and seeing if it solves it. Perhaps also worth checking that the connection to the switch is secure and hasn't somehow come loose - unlikely but you never know...

Racing Blue 182 Cup
When I was having intermitent problems with my cruise control I cured them by taking both brake and clutch switches off, spraying contact cleaner on the connections and silicone grease on the switches. Also I disconected the cruise control switch from the dash and and sprayed it with contact cleaner. No problems now. Not saying it will cure your issue but it's certainly worth a go rather than paying for new parts.