ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crashed the clio :(

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Irrespective of what happens with your own car, surely if the other person's car needs repairing then you will have to pay your £600 excess, won't you?

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Irrespective of what happens with your own car, surely if the other person's car needs repairing then you will have to pay your £600 excess, won't you?
As far as I'm aware that's not the case. If you don't claim for your car you don't pay the excess. Friend of mine went into somebody, knew he could repair his own car for muchos cheap so the 'somebody' claimed and my friend never paid the excess. his excess was something stupid like £6-700.

Last edited:
  172 cup
Agree with you there mate, some of the users on here really need to get a grip on how insurance claims work.

Ok explain then.

My insurance company have told me what is going to happen so at the end of the day im going to believe them over anything on here :)

Clio 220 Trophy
MKii,
Mate i,m assuming you have claimed as stated in you previous posting, if your cars written off they will offer you settlement figure for your car ( don,t accept the first one they offer ) argue that your cars worth more, once you both agree on that figure, your excess will be deducted from it, you can agree a buy back figure for breaking etc but thats another issue, your insurance company will deal with repairing the third parties car, does that make it clearer?

Now to through a spanner in the works so to speak, I taking it you have fully comp insurance ?

172 cup
Yes that is exactly my understanding of the claim too, i have been told by a few people to refuse the first offer, does it help if i get some adverts for others for sale to prove how much they are being sold for?

and yes i am covered fully comp :)

I have also been told if i was not claiming for my car the excess is not payable for the other partys claim that cost is covered solely by my insurance company. I only have to pay the excess if my car is being repaired as it is payble direct to the repairers. alothough in a round about way i am paying it but will be out of the agreed settlement.

Trophy #387
If the guy is parked in the middle of the road, round a corner, like you have said. I'd be claiming off of his insurance...

Unfortunately that isn't how it works... I was out driving once and there was a car parked on a corner, at night, 1metre away from the kerb, opposite a junction, and I slammed on - I stopped, but the car behind didn't... We both seeked to claim off the parked car as it was illegal parking (didn't comply with the highway code either) and we contacted the police but they said although the parking was absolutely woeful, nothing could be done.

EDIT:
IMG00434-20110311-1915.jpg

Still didn't have any liability for the accident.

Clio 220 Trophy
Yes that is exactly my understanding of the claim too, i have been told by a few people to refuse the first offer, does it help if i get some adverts for others for sale to prove how much they are being sold for?

and yes i am covered fully comp :)

I have also been told if i was not claiming for my car the excess is not payable for the other partys claim that cost is covered solely by my insurance company. I only have to pay the excess if my car is being repaired as it is payble direct to the repairers. alothough in a round about way i am paying it but will be out of the agreed settlement.

As far as using adverts to try and convince the repairs accessor that yours cars worth more, I found that it didn,t really help, he/she will come back with the answer that you paid too much for the car in the first place. as far as the excess is concerned, thats right it is only payable on your car, so like you say , your stuffed really , repair the car you pay it, your cars written off and its deducted from the settlement figure.

Wishing you all the best getting it sorted,

172 cup
i dont mind paying it out of the settlement but if i had to pay it to the repairers bit of a sting you know. its the initial payment i was trying to avoid and it bein written off will work to my advantage

1995 Renault Clio 1.8 16v
Have seen different outcomes on different claims regarding showing adverts. My sister found adverts for a rare 205 gentry when hers was written off and it added a lot more to her payout, supplied adverts when my granddad's S320cdi got written off and it didn't change a thing.

I'd say it's worth a shot, it's what, half an hour of your time?

clio 172 cup
Insurance offerd me my old Clio to buy it back that was on a 55plate and they wanted £900 but I couldn't be botherd with the hassle of breaking it