ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crash helmets, where to buy from?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Hi guy's,

I'm after buying a crash helmet for a track day I have booked in July, where do you buy them from as I've it been looking on Demon Tweeks site.

Ta

Scott.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Ok, not just a track day helmet and more money depending on type, but if you want to future proof for any MSA competitive events, there's V2 helmets...

I'm looking at this one...

http://www.v2sport.com/v2-super-ven...r-and-peak-white/p/78959437/category=22435617

Are there any other recommended suppliers of late?
Thanks, but I won't ever be competing in the car bud. Just want an open Face around the £150 mark. It's only my 2nd trackday and it's not something I plan on doing lots of.

John John

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 & Boxster
I purchased an OMP track day helmet from GSM performance
Who based south of Nottingham
I was able to try different helmets to find one that fitted

I recently bought a crash helmet in Halfords, I used my trade card and got serious discount on it.

It fits well, and has all relevant stamps and safety stuff so went with it, however, if I were to go racing it would need to be changed but that’s an intention I have for later down the line

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Hedtec get reasonable reviews. They are mostly FIA compliant (so meet SNELL requirements), meaning they will have passed FIA safety tests, which track day-only helmets won't have been subject to.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Hedtec get reasonable reviews. They are mostly FIA compliant (so meet SNELL requirements), meaning they will have passed FIA safety tests, which track day-only helmets won't have been subject to.
So alright for my needs?

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Yeah I know a couple of people that use them for track days and another who uses one for stage rallies, so should be more than up to it.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
I had an open face for track day use, but then though if loads stuff starts flying around if you go belly up, its the face you wanna protect most
Si now have full face, which is hot and awkward, but feels more secure

Havent found a motorsport one at a reasonable enough price yet tho (200ish)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I had an open face for track day use, but then though if loads stuff starts flying around if you go belly up, its the face you wanna protect most

I have no plans to go upside down, an open Face will be fine. I did Bedford in a full face but with a lift up chin bit and it felt to much.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
I have no plans to go upside down, an open Face will be fine. I did Bedford in a full face but with a lift up chin bit and it felt to much.

I spun off 2wice at Lydden a month ago, and second time I thought I was going over

I was only 1 of 2 cars on the track too, end of a long day, and still water drying on the track from the drifters who had just been on

So full face for me- altho I am not planning it either

Clio 172 (CUP)

Same reason I'm going to full face too, possibly add a touring car peak to it. And because...

IIRC, if you want to go in a open top car, as a passenger or driver, it needs to be a full face helmet

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
What flies around inside a car when you're on track? Shouldn't every single thing either be removed or tethered?

For me, open face all the way. I'm not competing. I'm not setting lap times. To quote Goodwood it's a "non-competitive social event". Yeah I may be going 50mph more than I do on the road but in arguably far safer circumstances. For trackdays, in a closed cabin car, I don't see why a full face is needed myself.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
What flies around inside a car when you're on track? Shouldn't every single thing either be removed or tethered?

For me, open face all the way. I'm not competing. I'm not setting lap times. To quote Goodwood it's a "non-competitive social event". Yeah I may be going 50mph more than I do on the road but in arguably far safer circumstances. For trackdays, in a closed cabin car, I don't see why a full face is needed myself.

Airbags hurt ?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
You wear a full face lid when driving on the road? You're far more likely to have an airbag go off than you are when on track...what's your head worth and all that ?

No, but if i had a choice of getting hit in the face or not by the airbag on track, i'd choose not ?

A mate of mine had a crash a while ago at Spa, pretty much head on into a concrete wall. She only suffered minor bruising with a full face helmet on, i'd bet the injuries would have been worse with open face.

Granted it was probably a rare incident.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001

Yes, everything should be tethered or removed. But a heavy sharp halt, of a speeding vehicle, will dislodge the most stable of car parts. Nuts, bolts, glass- anything will fly around the cabin- and I would rather not have it thrown in my face at high speed

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Even at WRC level, most drivers wear open face helmets. They have some pretty f**king monstrous accidents and their faces don't get cut or bruised to s**t. Yes the rest of the car has been designed to withstand the impact, but the chances of a facial injury are very low. I would say the same is true in a road car, without all of the safety features. Fire is the biggest risk in terms of an open face helmet in a closed-cockpit car.

You pays your money, you takes your choice though.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Even at WRC level, most drivers wear open face helmets. They have some pretty f**king monstrous accidents and their faces don't get cut or bruised to s**t. Yes the rest of the car has been designed to withstand the impact, but the chances of a facial injury are very low. I would say the same is true in a road car, without all of the safety features. Fire is the biggest risk in terms of an open face helmet in a closed-cockpit car.

You pays your money, you takes your choice though.

They do have a HANS device though, so forward head movement is reduced.

Like you say it's personal preference though.

406 V6, Race Buggy
I wear closed face for safari's, I've seen a branch come through a windscreen and punch a hole in the bulkhead between the driver and co-driver - screw that for the sake of wearing a full face.
I do have a Hedtec Demon HANS (albiet no hans posts fitted) I might sell this year but again it's a full face.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I wear closed face for safari's, I've seen a branch come through a windscreen and punch a hole in the bulkhead between the driver and co-driver - screw that for the sake of wearing a full face.
I don't think I'm going to have them kind of problems. [emoji106]

406 V6, Race Buggy
Nah, for track use you're fine with open, unless you're incredibly unlucky and something comes off a car in front.

Clio 172 cup
Nicky Grist is excellent. Very knowledgable and great after sales service to make sure the helmet fits correctly.