ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

COURT SUMMONS

E92 330
Just after some advise really, i have a court summons for the 3rd August and am looking at different ways of approaching it. Basically i was busted for speeding on M6 near Carlisle, i was doing 108 in a BMW that wasnt mine.

On the plus side i was insured, the car had tax MOT etc so its just the driving offence im appearing for.

I already had 9 points on my licence but despite planning to plead undue hardship as i would lose my job, as well as putting a strain on my relationship with my gf as she lives in Carlisle and i live in Blackpool, I am expecting to get banned.

As i am expecting a ban is it worth getting representation from a barrister, or should i just seek advice??

Has anyone had experience with these cases before? any advice??

cheers rob

BMW 118d
I already had 9 points on my licence but despite planning to plead undue hardship as i would lose my job, as well as putting a strain on my relationship with my gf as she lives in Carlisle and i live in Blackpool, I am expecting to get banned.

Well considering you already have 9 points it obvious the points haven't calmed down your driving. The judge will definitely make an example of you, especially since you had 9 points then decided to do 108!!

any advice??

Bend over, lube up, and accept the punishment

Clio MK2 (1.2)
youl deffo lose your licence and have to take a Advanced Re-test, shouldnt have been doing 108 really should ya, if the speed was 60-70

Elise 111R
why would you go 108 if you have 9 points on your licence?

Im hoping he throws it at you and it hurts.... if a ban was going to cause you to loose your job and put strains on your personal relationships then at 70 mph you should of thought right i like those choices more than i do going 108 mph!

Also you havent learnt from your previous points so that tells me you have little respect for the law and others around you.

Its not about how apporpriate speed limits are today, so dont give that excuse or that it was perfectly safe to go XXX. Itsabout understanding the consequences of your actions and the personal impact it has if you get more points.

Good luck on transport for the next 2 years...

a thirsty one
how long have you had the 9 points mate, any over 3 years old dont count in the totting up procedure, however 108mph is in theory an instant ban anyway, if some of those are over 3 years old you are going into court with less points history than you think.

best bet is to seek legal advice, fully admit the offence and clearly state via your brief that you admit this matter, no other document offences were commited, mention the time of day and the traffic conditions along with any problems this would cause in work (ask manager to write a brief letter stating that you cant do your job without licence) and the issue with your partner, make sure its heard on the day though i know loads of cases where briefs ask for redates etc and you get a huge bill from them.

dress very smart, turn up early, look very sorry for yourself and apologise.

without you previous points you would have been ok but with them its hard to say, its worth a try though even if you still get a ban at least you did what you could to keep your licence and hopefully slow down a bit in the future.

MINI Cooper S
I see it as at the end of the day you broke the law and you will get punished for it. No way around it im afraid.

E92 330
ye thanks guys im fully aware i shouldnt of been doing 108!

thanks john bit of help there, it was 1am, i was just tired trying to get home, to be honest i wasnt intentially speeding before i knew it i was doing 108, so i slowed down to 80 and came of the mway and got pulled over in the slip road. so should i bother getting legal representation or seek advice and represent myself?

I would get somebody to represent you as either way you are looking at a ban but the length of it might be different if you have a good lawyer.

Especially if you have recently got your points at least if your lawyer got you banned under the totting up system instead of an outright ban when you do get your licence back it will be clean.

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU
I doubt that will hold up well.

Sib

Clio 172 (Silver)
Bobby. Unlike some other I won't shoot you down as your probably already feeling crap.

I would pay the money for good legal representation and make up a damn good reason for doing that speed. A pal of mine at work recently got off in not too dissimilar circumstance.

On 9 pts for speeding he crashed his skyline and decided to drive it home unfit for the road. Like you he got nicked and took to court. unlike you his offence is not an auto ban however. but he did get to keep his licence on 12 points for hardship.

I didn't know there were so many saints on cliosport.......... mate don't listen to them, but seen as though your not some spotty little chav thats robbed an old lady but you're a speeding motorist the courts probably going to shaft you good luck.

1.8 8v RSi
i'm not sayign speeeding is for the best but...imo if you see hwo fast traffic is traveling on the motorway anyway you will notice it varys from 60-100 unles there's gantery cameras...most people i follow on the motorway do 75-85 in middle and fast lane(m69/m1) i have to say i wouldn't push 108 though...

PH-QUICK
My mate got caught doing 51 in a 30 and is waiting for his summons. his mums a magistrate so she deals with this sort of thing everyday and apparently theres almost no chance of keeping his licence AND he has no point atm AND was speeding less than 38mph over the limit so i wouldnt hold out much hope.

Mazda MX5 1.8
motorway speed limits area bit of a piss take really
if u do 70 ur getting over taken by everyone inc grannys in skoda's & lorries!
80 odd and ur middle lane speed and then people come past you like a bat out of hell in the fast lane

i know its no help but they really should change the speed limits imo

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
So many other options to you if you hadnt already said it was you. Good luck mate, 107mph is f**k all these days though, i crack 120 at least once every day, everyone who has slagged the lad off in this thread should go and suck on there mams c**k.

mk1 clio derv
My mate got caught doing 51 in a 30 and is waiting for his summons. his mums a magistrate so she deals with this sort of thing everyday and apparently theres almost no chance of keeping his licence AND he has no point atm AND was speeding less than 38mph over the limit so i wouldnt hold out much hope.

your friend must have just got a bad cop on the day... i got caught doing 47 in a 30 whilst still on my 'R' plates and i got 3 points and a £60 fine..

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
I can garentee everyone of you who drove today broke the speed limit even if it was 2-3 mph over, fact is everyone does it.

Id rather people kept speed to quite country roads and motorways to built up resdential areas.

Good luck

PH1 Oddy, M140i
I counted 2 pieces of worthy advice in this thread so far... I hope you got them to.

Clio sport drivers and the moral high ground....some people, really!

Good luck mate.

Elise 111R
Hang on, i will put my hands up and say i gave a hard answer BUT heres why:

The guy NEEDS his car for work and NEEDS it to see his misses..... if he cant live without driving dont be so stupid as to commit the crime that will get you banned.. esp when you've been caught numerous other times....not hard really?

997.1, Caddy, e208
I do 80 max on the Motorway as Ive only had my license 13 months.

Reason?

I know what would happen if I was caught, you dont accidentally hit 108mph 90 yeah maybe creep to that!

I cant really offer any advice, but I wont shoot you down, but.........

Play with fire, you'll get burned.

306 GTI-6
Whilst there is more than a good chance that everyone here has speeded today by 2-3 mph, going 108 when the speed limit is 70 is a bit more extreme, and someone in that position should have been a bit more aware of his speed.

I think THAT is what most people were trying to say. Didnt here any of them saying that they had never been speeding.

Mondeo ST220
Whilst there is more than a good chance that everyone here has speeded today by 2-3 mph, going 108 when the speed limit is 70 is a bit more extreme, and someone in that position should have been a bit more aware of his speed.

I think THAT is what most people were trying to say. Didnt here any of them saying that they had never been speeding.

spot on mate. if you had 9 points, that could be caught speeding upto three times before recently and you needed your licence would you really risk it going 108.

on the motorways, wait till someone flies by you then follow them quite a way behind, thats what i do sometimes if i want to go a bit faster, otherwise just not worth risking it and i have 0 points

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
how long have you had the 9 points mate, any over 3 years old dont count in the totting up procedure, however 108mph is in theory an instant ban anyway, if some of those are over 3 years old you are going into court with less points history than you think.

best bet is to seek legal advice, fully admit the offence and clearly state via your brief that you admit this matter, no other document offences were commited, mention the time of day and the traffic conditions along with any problems this would cause in work (ask manager to write a brief letter stating that you cant do your job without licence) and the issue with your partner, make sure its heard on the day though i know loads of cases where briefs ask for redates etc and you get a huge bill from them.

dress very smart, turn up early, look very sorry for yourself and apologise.

without you previous points you would have been ok but with them its hard to say, its worth a try though even if you still get a ban at least you did what you could to keep your licence and hopefully slow down a bit in the future.

THE best response on this thread. The guy asked for advice in his first sentence and John's done that.

The OP knows he's wrong. It doesn't take the rest of us lot to tell him that as well...

D.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
108mph isn't an auto ban, it's an auto court summons that usually ends up with a ban.

Shame about getting caught, and not to have a pop but I think you need a lesson in cop spotting getting 9 points.

Perhaps I can interest you in a laser jammer for the future :)

MKV Golf GTi (240bhp)
Hang on, i will put my hands up and say i gave a hard answer BUT heres why:

The guy NEEDS his car for work and NEEDS it to see his misses..... if he cant live without driving dont be so stupid as to commit the crime that will get you banned.. esp when you've been caught numerous other times....not hard really?

why would telling him off possibly help, i hate people who preach about speed limits, especially someone who owns a 182 - are you saying you have never been over 100mph?

if you havnt then buy a 1.2 and save on fuel!

this thread actually made me angry when i read it, cant belive all the preachers, last time i checked this was a performance car forum!

of course it was dumb doing 108mph with 9 points, but at least he wasnt doing 40mph in a 30pmh with 9 points, that would be really annoying! lol

we have all been there, you were more unlucky than stupid!

good luck with everything

a burnt one
Some folk on here really need to get a grip, speeding over 100mph isnt an automatic ban as most of the do-gooders on here seem to think.

If you're going to preach to the guy at least get you're facts right!

Im also guessing that by the fact he has 9 points on his license he is fully aware of the speed limit and therefore doesnt need advice on the speed limits of roads.

He simply asked for advice on his COURT SUMMONS not what he should/should not have been doing.

I know a few people who were caught in excess of 100mph and did not get this supposed automatic ban.

The best thing to do is seek legal advice, even if you cant afford to hire a solicitor for the case the first meeting with one is usually free, gather up all the advice you can.

A guy at my work was threatened with a ban and my manager wrote a letter saying he would loose his job, how out of carachter it was etc etc and he was let off with it, i know a few others who have been handed fines (big ones)

The fact you already have 9 points will undoubtably go against you but plead you're case anyway, it was a strange car and you didnt realise the speed you were doing.

Look remorseful and dress appropriately, answer all questions politely and hope you get a judge on a good day.

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who own a renaultsport and yet they have never had it above 70mph?

What a waste of money that is!:rasp:

MKV Golf GTi (240bhp)
Never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who own a renaultsport and yet they have never had it above 70mph?

What a waste of money that is!:rasp:

i was thinking the exact same thing, i forgot that going over 100mph was worse than rape