ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Considering a MacBook

Monaro VXR
Depends, personally not blown away by any screen in the MB range.

But the 13" pro screen is just low resolution. Which can be annoying.

The 13" screen on the MBP is fairly low res after using a 13" MBA for a while. I'd avoid the 11" for anything other than browsing and the odd Word document, it's just too much of a compromise if wanting to use it for working away on. Lovely piece of kit though.

The ThunderBolt display and MacBook Air Arc would also be a great investment in the future.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
What made your mind up?

A couple of things, More disk space, built in optical drive (I Dj and burn a lot of music) and when I used the air in typing position with my hands I don't really like how the air goes so thin at the end, the pro just felt more "normal" if you get me

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
Gav, what you using to DJ? Im currently using a Denon MC6000, runs lovely on a VMWARE Win7 image....

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
I think I'm already sorted now, looking at 1150 cash sale...plus the air doesnt have the HDD capacity I need, which is at least 500gb...

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
I'm currently on the lookout for some kit actually, still using trust old vinyl at home at the mo. I do miss the dvj1000 at the club I used to work at though.

I HIGHLY recommend, the Denon MC6000, got mine from a uk reseller for 650. Its the same as our 3700s but smaller and without the spinning 9" platters. But thats cool cause I cant scratch for s**t...

http://www.denondj.com/DN-MC6000-P125.aspx

T
hat and a mac and who needs CDJs....mates taking his to Sankeys next week for the residency comp, you hear about that?

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Looks like i may just get a MBP 13" because it is cheaper and has a better CPU and bigger HDD, the only thing that puts me off is the resolution of the screen, even my current acer laptop is better

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Its the same resolution as my current laptop so for me it will be no difference, well there shouldn't be but the Macbook display looks miles better than my Acer.

Craig - No I hadn't heard about that, I have been pretty much out of the scene for 12 months now. Last time I went on the deck publicly I was really nervous after not being up in the booth for 8 months lol

BMW F31
A couple of things, More disk space, built in optical drive (I Dj and burn a lot of music) and when I used the air in typing position with my hands I don't really like how the air goes so thin at the end, the pro just felt more "normal" if you get me

Makes 100% sense if you need more space etc. I'll admit, I'm the opposite with keyboard position, I love that my hands are nearly flat :)

Sounds like you made the right choice though, you'll love it :)

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Makes 100% sense if you need more space etc. I'll admit, I'm the opposite with keyboard position, I love that my hands are nearly flat :)

Sounds like you made the right choice though, you'll love it :)

:) Cant wait to get my hands on it, i'm aiming for Wednesday afternoon. Thanks for everyone's help as well!

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
Its the same resolution as my current laptop so for me it will be no difference, well there shouldn't be but the Macbook display looks miles better than my Acer.

Craig - No I hadn't heard about that, I have been pretty much out of the scene for 12 months now. Last time I went on the deck publicly I was really nervous after not being up in the booth for 8 months lol

Sankeys ran a comp via mixcloud with the winner getting residency, a VIP package in ibiza with a set on a boat and in sankeys and a years access to all events. I forgot to enter like a tit, (im better than my business partner) and he goes and gets a finalist spot...last 18 out of hundreds...its next Friday, im trying to get as many in as poss to big him up as you better believe im tagging along to ibiza...If you fancy going down with some mates, let me know and I'll guestlist you...

Lozza-p

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
I've got a 13" MBP with a 750gb hard drive as i need to store all my music and stuff on it to swell as burning discs for when i dj.

i bloody love the thing

Nothing at the mo :(
Are MacBooks really that good?

I've been looking at MBA 11" and 13" for my business. Smaller the better as i need to transport it around alot

But £1000 price tag.... Is it really worth it?

P.s Ive never had a mac or any Apple stuff apart from the 1st gen Ipod lol... ive always been a Windows man so i know nothing lol

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
1. Better build quality, solid, robust, high quality materials.
2. Better OS, faster, no viruses, more intuitive.
3. Less depreciation, a 1200 vaio will be worth about 400 quid after a month, the equivalent mac much more.

And much more...I was firmly windows, but now Ive made the jump, I wouldnt go back...

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Got one, 13" core i5. I love it already, still feels a little odd as I have been a windows user for the past 15 years. Will be better when I get all my stuff transferred across from my other laptop

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
I dont hate windows even now, there are some aspects I really like of windows 7. I get days where I think FFS, windows does that...but on the whole, my user experience is better on the mac. All the iLife apps are great...

BMW F31
I dont hate windows even now, there are some aspects I really like of windows 7. I get days where I think FFS, windows does that...but on the whole, my user experience is better on the mac. All the iLife apps are great...

I work with Vista through my working day, nuff' said!

Although I do like windows, going to be installing Win7 at the weekend via Bootcamp so I can get AutoCAD onto my MacBook.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Just doing all the updates and etc now, installed chrome and flash and getting to grips with all the gestures. I love it! My copy of windows 7 will definitely be being installed via boot camp though

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
Just doing all the updates and etc now, installed chrome and flash and getting to grips with all the gestures. I love it! My copy of windows 7 will definitely be being installed via boot camp though

Or install vmware fusion and run it virtually? Fusion integrates nicely allowing you to run windows apps on your mac desktop...give me a shout if you want any help setting it up, I have a working win7pro VMware image I could burn on a bluray for you...

BMW F31
Just be aware, running a vm version of windows won't give you the full hardware power. if you need windows like I do for AutoCAD or other intensive programs, run bootcamp.

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
Agreed via parallels, but via fusion it seems fine. Obviously there will be soem difference, but photoshop etc all run fine on a VM image...

Yes I know, but we have a subscription through work and it allows home use when not in the office, only downside is it's only available for windows.

Thought that might be the case but thought I'd mention it as a lot of people don't know about it!

BMW F31
Loving this MBA, just encoded a 700mb avi to mp4 in less than 6 mins. although the fan was at 6400rpm lol