ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Complete Noob!

Titanium 182
Hi, I have been wanting to get a 'proper camera' for some time now and keep finding myself going around in circles! I don't think I will need more than an entry level camera and I keep going back to the Nikon D3200. It can be picked up around £250 brand new with a lense (budget £250 max)

Do you guys think this is a good entry level camera or will I be wanting to progress pretty quickly? I wouldn't mind getting into photography to be honest but if I don't I can see the camera will still get lots of use!

Are there any other models I should be looking at that rival the d3200, stressing me out now as after ten minutes of looking I end up with about 20 tabs open haha. Read the guide and I have also had a play with the d3200 but I don't think I will get a real feel for it until I've done some post processing etc.

Cheers!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Go to a camera shop. Try Nikon and Canon and maybe a Sony but I'm not too sure on their entry level DSLRs.

Have a play with them then make your mid up.

The comment about not getting into is until post processing is personally,not the way to look at it as you want to get the image right in the camera ideally..

Have a read of the stickies in here. You'll learn a lot from them.

Titanium 182
Thanks for the replies! I have played with the D3200 and with my limited experience of camera it seemed really good! My sister has a Canon 450D which produces some brilliant photos and according to the specs the D3200 is a better camera.

Typhoon do you still shoot with the standard 18-55mm lens? Have you found that to be enough for "general photography"?

Cheers guys! Gonna see if I can bag an eBay bargain lol

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Thanks for the replies! I have played with the D3200 and with my limited experience of camera it seemed really good! My sister has a Canon 450D which produces some brilliant photos and according to the specs the D3200 is a better camera.

Typhoon do you still shoot with the standard 18-55mm lens? Have you found that to be enough for "general photography"?

Cheers guys! Gonna see if I can bag an eBay bargain lol
Yep mate, still using the standard 18-55mm lense that came with it. Pretty awesome lense as far as my knowledge takes me. Not worth upgrading at such an early stage etc.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
As Aaron said go to a shop and try different models and brands you might not like the way the button layout and the way it grips. The entry level is the Canon 1200D iirc. Best way to go to start off getting to know the settings ISO, Aparature and Shutter. The editing stage can't change everything on the picture you just took. So yeah taking a good composed pic is what you want and fine tune it on say Photoshop. I've got a Canon 500D with the 18-55mm kit lens and really ideal to start off with and luckily it's my first DSLR and still a novice plus only had 4500 captures on it. Practice practice and more practice

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I have the D3200 as well buddy. I'm still a complete n00b tbh lol, I'm just far too lazy... but it is fairly easy to get to grips with if you take your time with it. The standard lens is good but after seeing my mates 50mm I need one badly!

Torrent Lightroom for post-processing 😌

Titanium 182
I have the D3200 as well buddy. I'm still a complete n00b tbh lol, I'm just far too lazy... but it is fairly easy to get to grips with if you take your time with it. The standard lens is good but after seeing my mates 50mm I need one badly!

Torrent Lightroom for post-processing 😌

Another thumbs up for the D3200 then! Me and the missus have quite a lot of ClubCard points for Tesco so hopefully when they do one of those "boost" events I can get one almost free! If not I'll give in and stick in on the credit card haha

Have you picked up any more lenses?

I have a d3200 too. Does very good for what I want. I got it with the 18-55mm and 55-200mm kit lens. Ive since got a 50mm but its rarely used!!. Tbh ive not really given it a chance.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Another thumbs up for the D3200 then! Me and the missus have quite a lot of ClubCard points for Tesco so hopefully when they do one of those "boost" events I can get one almost free! If not I'll give in and stick in on the credit card haha

Have you picked up any more lenses?

Not yet! Too many other things taken priority... bought little things like a remote and a device that lets you do custom time lapse. Oh and a tripod thingy.

Titanium 182
Dying to get hold of one now! Was looking at some photos on Flikr taken with the stock lens, they look brilliant! I've told the missus it's for "us", but really it's for my car.

Actually when I say "us", I kinda mean me and the car.

Titanium 182
Some great shots there, love the long exposure one of the stream! Definitely the level of quality I was looking for from a dslr :up::up:

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I'm rubbish lol but my favourite picture I took last year from my D3200...

DSC_1151_zps5f17c849.jpg

Titanium 182
Actually had that bookmarked but think I'll stick with the D3200! Found one with a lens for £250 delivered so going to order tomorrow I think :D can't wait now

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Go for the Nikon, I might be biased but you can't go wrong for the price of the 3200.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Nice move! :D it's all downhill from here, I wish I could still buy gear for £250.
Enjoy it, look forward to seeing some photos.

Titanium 182
haha, my sister bought her first DSLR a few years back and has since developed an expensive addiction! It should arrive before next weekend so I'll be able to get some decent shots of the 182 up after it's detailing session :)

Is Flikr still the best site to use for sharing / storing a copy of all your work?

Cheers for all the advice everyone