ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio wont start

Clio 16v
hi guys, i left my clio on my drive for about a month without starting it, and now it wont fire up, but it will turn over and theres no odd light on the dash etc

what should i check and what could i replace to get it fired up? it ran fine before and ive just recharged the battery

any suggestions?

Clio 16v
well to make the jump start harder my drive is a steep one, and extremly hard to get it off pushing it lol. if its the electrics, what could need doing?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
most probably condensation in the plugs,

was the car stored properly?? (battery out, tyres down, water out, plugs out, brake pads taken out, handbrake off)
or just parked and left?

coilpack and plugs may have got abit icky over time,
or the crank sensor may have perished,

Evo 8 MR
I would say get the AA out tbh as there could be loads wrong with it if it hasn't been stored properly although they might refuse to come out if you tell them it's been sat for that long.

Clio 16v

was the car stored properly?? (battery out, tyres down, water out, plugs out, brake pads taken out, handbrake off)
or just parked and left?

no it wasnt cos i didnt expect to have left it this long, but cash problems caused it to be left there, im gonna check the plugs now, see if its flooded or gone a little rusted with the harsh snow we had.

might get the AA out to get it started, il say its been there 2 days lol

PH1 172 Sport

or just parked and left?

It's only been there a month it should be fine if the batterys been recharged. Check the leads and the plugs first.

Clio 16v
It's only been there a month it should be fine if the batterys been recharged. Check the leads and the plugs first.
ive done that and i think i will go get some new spark plugs just to be on the safe side

the leads are weird and could be prone to corrosion, cos there not very well protected are they?

just guttering when it wont start!!

PH1 172 Sport
ive done that and i think i will go get some new spark plugs just to be on the safe side

the leads are weird and could be prone to corrosion, cos there not very well protected are they?

just guttering when it wont start!!

What engine is it?

A3 Tdi
Mine was like this after sitting for a while, it was trying to start but couldn't. Id defonatley suggest replacing the battery and spark plugs. Once i done this to mine it started first time.

PH1 172 Sport
Leads can be dodgy sometimes if they have got damp so I would change them as well as the sparks. Have you tried a search as I hate recomending to people that they change bits without being 100% sure that it will solve the problem!

Clio 16v
oh good, its just had a new battery and a full charge, the battery tester says its ok too,got the new plugs but aint put em in yet, hope the coils aint knakered in it!

PH1 172 Sport
I wouldnt have said it was the battery. Unless it was on its way out anyway. I am still 95% sure it'll be the plugs, leads or coil pack.

Clio 16v
checked the relays in the front of the bonnet, one was corroded to hell!! swapped it with another black one and it fired up, but what does the other one do that i swaped it for?

Renault Clio 1.6 16V 2002
i have also a 1.6 16V 2002 and i can't get it started
the engine will turn over for a while but then dies
the immobiliser light doesn't go out
no fuel and no spark
i have only one key
Could it be the immo or is the ket broken?