ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Clio Williams & 182
don’t get to hung up about wrc look at all races and what did it ever achieve on the world stage,, tbh absolutely jack sh1t.

class wins good grief is that it well i am bowled over by its epic pedigree what a truly awesome car,, not.

fellas its done nowt,, it’s a nice little cheap car and good fun, fairly average and that’s it.

why the williams owners want to pull other renaults to bits in favour of one of these things is beyond me.

lol...k

no this is why they built it.

"In 1993, Renault launched the Clio Williams with a limited run of 2500, for racing homologation purposes"

the F1 williams linkage was not the sole reason, they wanted to race the car which brings me back to what did it achieve, nothing.

and for the record i am not the one bleating on about how good the Vee is as it also has done jack sh1t,, my only point is that the williams is average no more.

i dont normally go in for pointing out these facts but this site seems to enjoy tearing each others renaults to bits so this is my turn to say, if you think the V6 is bad just have a close look at the williams its very very average.

The williams succeeded in the competitions it was raced in though....

The vee has never been raced by renault hence its done nothing

edit: Oh and I dont own a williams, never have and never will

clio v6
the V6s very existance came about because it was a race car.

the race car came first then they put it on the road, you renault guys are supposed to know this stuff yet you seem to be utterly clueless.

at least we can both say that neither of us want a williams.

here this is a V6 race car, this is how it all started and for the record it would pee all over a williams.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQNvqECoOfE

ValverInBits
Writing about the williams, evo said:

EVO mag said:
Quick and conrtolled through the slalom, pliant, tractable and massively enjoyable around the handling circuit, it remains the benchmark for feel and fluid dynamics. However hard you push it soaks up the punishment, rarely exhibiting anything other than peerless control and unmatched involvement.
Although the most powerfull of our oldies, the williams still gives away 20bhp to the 172 and 30bhp to the Seat. Even so, it wasnt far adrift in the accelleration tests and consistently bettered their times around the handling circuit.
A perfect compromise between the 205s razor-edged reactions and the Golfs fluid, user friendly feel, the Williams is one of those rare cars that allows you to extract every ounce of pace without exposing you to any nasty traits or depriving you of any fun.

So, TBH, this comment is rubbish.
EVO tested the willy and the 172mk2 when it came out

Shockingly the 172 braked quicker,handled better and faster round a track and was quicker to 60 and 100mph.It also pulled more G's through a corner.

Have some respec :rasp:

ValverInBits
So its not as fast in all areas exept going into a corner.

Brilliant

The combimation of cornering ability and accelleration can be tested using the age old method of racing cars around a track.

quicker lap time = quicker car

Williams makes a quicker lap time.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
How would that equate to everyday driving on D/C's and motorway slip roads then,or the time exposed to danger.

Plus the fact a half decent driver in either car would show up the other one on the road

Hence these stupid threads...lol

clio v6
no it just means journos will print any old cobblers, why not cut and paste page three of the sun it might even be more relevant.

on track a 182/172 race car will pee on a Williams race car fact, and the lap times will prove it as a documented fact not journalistic hog wash.

here this is a V6 race car, this is how it all started and for the record it would pee all over a williams.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQNvqECoOfE

ValverInBits
don't get me wrong, I like V6s, I really do, and given the chance I would consider ownership.

But you are suggesting that the finished product is a more focused drivers car than a williams.
The V6 is commonly known for it's instability and dangerous tail end. Renault had to spend so much time trying to make the 255 less dangerous than the original.
V6 owners consistently move onto other vehicles and remark just how difficult it was to drive a V6 properly.
I'm not prepared to swallow everything journalists say without my pinch of sodium chloride, but I am prepared to accept the general concensus from the motoring press and drivers reports.
FFS, the 255 weighs in at 1400kg!

Last edited:
  clio v6
i am not, repeat not for the umpteenth time praising the V6,, i dont really care what you or anyone else thinks of it,, i said the williams is average it is, i said its slower than the V6 it is.

but if i had the two sets of keys in front of me for a sundays blat i would choose the V6 as it is a much more rewarding drive because of its edgyness,, but more so for the torque and way it delivers high speed with little effort.

This banter is great, a Williams is a parts bin special, it has sweet fa to do with Williams F1 racing at all.

- read that on here, it must be true.

I love the way that the vee gets dragged into the argument too :S wtf !

ValverInBits
Im sorry but average cars are mondeos, focus 1.6s, astra 1.4/1.6, polos etc the list goes on.

Try and get as much driving pleasure out of those as you can a williams.

clio v6
the V6 always takes a panning, but unlike the other Vee owners i will not hide in a corner and listen to this crap.

thejesus was the first to bring the V6 into the argument with his usual brand of back biting and sniping, just because i gave my honest opinion that i thought the williams is average.

and i think i have proved my point its won nowt and its done nowt and thats the facts.

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
tbh id like to know what state these williams where in when the people who say there average (lmfao at average) drove them.
ive driven 3 one was mine it was on 36k full service history and was totally standard another one was a mates on 94k with exhaust and air filter and another was another mates a compleate shed 100k+ and not looked after
if i drove the shed first i would never of considerd buying the williams i had and would of slated it even more than what has been said so far in this thread it was terrible even with new suspension ect it was garbage. mine was a totally different story it was such a nice car to drive ive driven better cars in the past evos imprezas ect and the williams was alot better it was fun and a simple car witch is what people love about it.
maybe steVee 6 drove a bad one? i dont know but calling the williams average is just well off IMO witch of course is what this thread is mainly based on.

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
and i think i have proved my point its won nowt and its done nowt and thats the facts.

does a car have to win titles to become a great car? i wouldnt go looking for a new car based on what titles its won. if the clio won f**k all or everything it raced in its one of the best hot hatches ever. simple as that ive drove all the clio range bar the v6 and the williams is better than the lot, might not be the fastest but its the best drivers car out the lot.

clio v6
but that still does not make it better than average in the scheme of things does it, it just makes it sound like a little fish in a small pool.

i maintain if you are prepared to look around at cars of its era there are far better drivers cars than a williams, its just average.

i have driven most clios hell i was driving bayliss track beast a few weeks ago, and of them all i would always choose the V6 without a second thought its a much better drive and far more rewarding.

but that still does not make it better than average in the scheme of things does it, it just makes it sound like a little fish in a small pool.

i maintain if you are prepared to look around at cars of its era there are far better drivers cars than a williams, its just average.

i have driven most clios hell i was driving bayliss track beast a few weeks ago, and of them all i would always choose the V6 without a second thought its a much better drive and far more rewarding.

There is always going to be a better drivers car than pretty much every car made, so I fail to what point you are trying to make?

clio v6
well to say its so great because you think its the best clio is not a great claim to fame is it, ie its just a small pool.

you have to look a little farther a field and when you do it just looks average, nothing special not bad not great just average.

of the same era cossies and E30 M3s were winning major races, they were truly good cars and a joy to drive the williams clearly isnt therefore its just average.

come on talk sense its a nice little car and thats all it is fact.

well to say its so great because you think its the best clio is not a great claim to fame is it, ie its just a small pool.

you have to look a little farther a field and when you do it just looks average, nothing special not bad not great just average.

of the same era cossies and E30 M3s were winning major races, they were truly good cars and a joy to drive the williams clearly isnt therefore its just average.

come on talk sense its a nice little car and thats all it is fact.

Compare it to cars in its class and people might listen :rolleyes:

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
The problem is a car does not have to have great racing pedigree to be a truly good car as it were.
Most racing equivalents are substantially different to there road going counter parts anyhow.

Vee dub
and a partridge in a pear tree,,,,LOL

so much bollox talked about williams clio and they are just so very very average,, would not thank you for one they are just so utterly unreliable and and unless modded are quite slow.

PMSL @ that..... The Williams legendary, the V6 isn't - this is FACT.

slow is pisch...

clio v6
no, i say its average for the reasons i have given and i think they are fair and valid, its small cheap and fwd a nice little car but very average. nothing to get excited about.

you guys always seek to move the goal post when your arguments are lost.

Vee dub
no, i say its average for the reasons i have given and i think they are fair and valid, its small cheap and fwd a nice little car but very average. nothing to get excited about.

I think there's alot to get excited about... it's a classic little car that is simply an awesome experience to drive.

iirc the V6 isn't that quick either?

I have listened to your reasons, your reasons are flawed. For a car in its class it is far from oridnary/average. Point in the direction of a car of its era and in its class then I will think you have a point. Unfortunately you seem to want to compare it to the M3 and Cossie which never have been and never will be in the same class as the clio.

clio v6
and a partridge in a pear tree,,,,LOL

so much bollox talked about williams clio and they are just so very very average,, would not thank you for one they are just so utterly unreliable and and unless modded are quite slow.

slow is pisch...

how,, its done nowt its won nowt, the legend is all in your head and is not backed up with fact, that cars a piece of crap.

Compare it to cars in its class and people might listen :rolleyes:

I have listened to your reasons, your reasons are flawed. For a car in its class it is far from oridnary/average. Point in the direction of a car of its era and in its class then I will think you have a point. Unfortunately you seem to want to compare it to the M3 and Cossie which never have been and never will be in the same class as the clio.

Vee dub

slow is pisch...

how,, its done nowt its won nowt, the legend is all in your head and is not backed up with fact, that cars a piece of crap.

You've just about displayed the extent of your knowledge on the subject there.... sums it up nicely!

lol @ the 'i drive a 3.0 clio therefore it's the greatest ever made' attitude....

There are loads of V6 owners on here that will accept that the williams is an awesome clio.
I've driven both and I'd have the williams all day for a weekend drive!

clio v6
what you should have said was the williams will never be in the same class which is exactly the point i am making, its cheap and cheerful but average.

fact.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

slow is pisch...

Its a modern classic because it was one of the best in class at the time and set new standards in that class.
It takes more than just winning races to make a great ROAD car.

Vee dub
what you should have said was the williams will never be in the same class which is exactly the point i am making, its cheap and cheerful but average.

fact.

seriously poor argument you got there.

Enjoy the clio.....

clio v6

You've just about displayed the extent of your knowledge on the subject there.... sums it up nicely!

lol @ the 'i drive a 3.0 clio therefore it's the greatest ever made' attitude....

There are loads of V6 owners on here that will accept that the williams is an awesome clio.
I've driven both and I'd have the williams all day for a weekend drive!

where did i say that, is this the point were reason goes out of the window and the keyboard warriors shout loudest.

its not about the V6 never was thejesus brought the V6 into the argument trying to be snide as ever.

all i said and you can quote me on this is, the williams is very average and thats my honest opinion.

fact.

You seem to mis-understand what is meant by 'class' when used that context so let me rephrase.

Compare the Williams to another hot-hatch/super-mini of the era that is more special/better than average, and people may think that you have a reason to say that the Williams is average

Status
Not open for further replies.