ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
  clio v6
well if you think you can make it through a few posts without falling back to your usual abusive self as i have witnessed on this forum i can show in plain and simple facts why the williams is just average.

its not trolling its just i dont have the passion for the williams that you do, it just strikes as a very plain and fairly average dull car.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Tight corners especially. There is no denying that a williams will carry more speed through the corner. end of

EVO tested the willy and the 172mk2 when it came out

Shockingly the 172 braked quicker,handled better and faster round a track and was quicker to 60 and 100mph.It also pulled more G's through a corner.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
At cadwell the willy pulled a car lengh or 2 into the twisty bits! Then it was easily caught through the longer corners and on the straights!

clio v6
First off Renaults own figures clearly puts the V6 a mile ahead of the Williams now that’s a fact,, we can all bleat on about what we have seen on trackdays.

Personally I have whooped Williams clios all day long on track even the ones who have lied about the mods they have done, I have been overtaken by 2 only, one fully stripped track car the other with an Audi TT engine.

Why do I say there average well tbh I find all fwd cars very average that’s not to say some are not quick but that the driving experience is bland and far to uninvolving. Of the same era was the BMW E30 M3 which if we are honest is ten times the car a Williams could ever hope to be, a faster car and a far better drive.

The V6 Clio is not the car it could have been for sure but there is no doubt it is the quickest Clio, on top of that it is a far more interesting drive, a drive that is not made easy and one that takes time to learn to get anywhere near the best from.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
First off Renaults own figures clearly puts the V6 a mile ahead of the Williams now that’s a fact,, we can all bleat on about what we have seen on trackdays.

Personally I have whooped Williams clios all day long on track even the ones who have lied about the mods they have done, I have been overtaken by 2 only, one fully stripped track car the other with an Audi TT engine.

Why do I say there average well tbh I find all fwd cars very average that’s not to say some are not quick but that the driving experience is bland and far to uninvolving. Of the same era was the BMW E30 M3 which if we are honest is ten times the car a Williams could ever hope to be, a faster car and a far better drive.

The V6 Clio is not the car it could have been for sure but there is no doubt it is the quickest Clio, on top of that it is a far more interesting drive, a drive that is not made easy and one that takes time to learn to get anywhere near the best from.

Even with the Hankooks or Kummo tyres! lol ;)

Clio Williams & 182
The Williams isn't about straight line speed. It's about the sheer fun factor. However, it can sure as hell keep up with if not beat a lot of modern day so-called 'performance-cars'.

The latest incarnation of Performance Car did a review in issue 1 on the 197 Cup and loved it. Then they drove it head to head vs Williams. Clearly, something about the Willy really hit the spot with the reviewers, as they announced the Williams to still be King of the Hill...

Some of you older folk may remember the review EVO did about 4 years ago, the 'Performance Car of the Decade'. Pretty serious review eh? And guess what came about 5th or 6th: Clio Williams. Not bad for a car that cost £13k when new and had just 150 bhp. There have been loads of articles like this, pretty much all concluding the same thing.

What I am trying to say is this: It's never been about straight line speed, and to be honest neither is the Mk1 16v. Personally, if thats what I wanted I'd go jap Turbo power ('cept I am bored of that).

The Williams earned a place as a legend many years ago. Legends don't die :cool:

VaVa
EDIT - Agree with that ^^^^ But all the Williams owners on here live their life 1/4 mile at a time lol

Why is it, then whenever someone comes on and says a 1*2 has pulled a few car lengths on a Willy, or that a Willy might just not be the quickest thing on earth, do they immeadiately get written off as bad examples or sheds by the same people everytime?

Monaco Ph2 172

Shockingly the 172 braked quicker,handled better and faster round a track and was quicker to 60 and 100mph.It also pulled more G's through a corner.

Which issues was that in?

I would not disagree with the 172 having a better 60-100mph time and better brakes, but in my experience the Williams will go round a corner faster than a 172. It just feels more planted and has less body roll.
When I did a track day at Donington, found that my Williams could simply carry more speed through corners than a 172. On Craner Curves especially I could catch other cars up as I could go flat out (100mph+) through there.

oh, and the WIlliams came 6th in EVO's drivers car of the decade 1994-2004 :)

ValverInBits

I would not disagree with the 172 having a better 60-100mph time and better brakes, but in my experience the Williams will go round a corner faster than a 172. It just feels more planted and has less body roll.
When I did a track day at Donington, found that my Williams could simply carry more speed through corners than a 172. On Craner Curves especially I could catch other cars up as I could go flat out (100mph+) through there.

oh, and the WIlliams came 6th in EVO's drivers car of the decade 1994-2004 :)

Agreed there! the MK1s have better cornering grip IMHO except in the wet when they plain a bit.
Link to said evo reveiw or is it magazine only.
My valver will provide more grip through corners than my 172 end of. And the 172 is on eagle F1s to the valvers rainsports.

VaVa
Remember than article was based on the opinions of proffesional racing drivers on a closed circiut. Not joe public following his gran on the way to Tescos' lol

I wouldn't get too hung up on it.

Clio Williams & 182

This one I think...August 2001?

evo0801a.jpg

clio v6
Right, so all FWD cars are average? Says it all really

but they are,, in the big scheme of things as cheap fun cars there fine but they really are average, there are far better cars to drive if you can’t see that you’re not looking hard enough.

What great races did a Williams Clio ever win to gain such credit none I would say,, even the turbo 2 managed a win at the highest level in the world rally series the Williams did not.

and as for the journos its a case of the emperor’s new clothes, if one says something they all have to say exactly the same or be dammed, might as well be printed in the sun its just garbage.

Clio Williams & 182
Right, so all FWD cars are average? Says it all really

but they are,, in the big scheme of things as cheap fun cars there fine but they really are average, there are far better cars to drive if you can’t see that you’re not looking hard enough.

What great races did a Williams Clio ever win to gain such credit none I would say,, even the turbo 2 managed a win at the highest level in the world rally series the Williams did not.

and as for the journos its a case of the emperor’s new clothes, if one says something they all have to say exactly the same or be dammed, might as well be printed in the sun its just garbage.

I think it's a little unfair to say the Williams never won anything. It won drivers hearts, real world driving not on some tricked up special stage, and thats the main thing. This is it's epitaph and it's undeniable.

My 2 cents.

Clio Williams & 182
I'd also like to speculate that around the time of the Williams, Renault had pulled a fair whack of funding away from WRC, as it was then. The homologation system was different, the Willy didn't have a turbo and was in a different class to the Turbo 5's. I think this is correct?

Also, I am pretty sure, though not certain, that Ragnotti and people of his ilk did in fact rack up numerous victories in the 2.0L N/A classes for the Williams in Grp N rallying.

clio v6
don’t get to hung up about wrc look at all races and what did it ever achieve on the world stage,, tbh absolutely jack sh1t.

class wins good grief is that it well i am bowled over by its epic pedigree what a truly awesome car,, not.

fellas its done nowt,, it’s a nice little cheap car and good fun, fairly average and that’s it.

why the williams owners want to pull other renaults to bits in favour of one of these things is beyond me.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
"Respected motoring journalists consistently rate the Williams as one of the very best hot hatches ever made[citation needed], regardless of era. One common mistake people can make is thinking that the 2.0 16V (F7R) used in the Williams is simply a bored out 1.8 16V (F7P), whereas, in reality the large engine had different size valves, cams and crank. Other differences between the Williams and the Clio 16S it is based on include a wider front track with some parts borrowed from the Renault 19. wider speedline alloys, uprated (JC5) gearbox, bespoke four-to-one manifold, firmer suspension and some cosmetic differences on the exterior and interior."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clio_Williams#Clio_Williams

clio v6
no this is why they built it.

"In 1993, Renault launched the Clio Williams with a limited run of 2500, for racing homologation purposes"

the F1 williams linkage was not the sole reason, they wanted to race the car which brings me back to what did it achieve, nothing.

and for the record i am not the one bleating on about how good the Vee is as it also has done jack sh1t,, my only point is that the williams is average no more.

i dont normally go in for pointing out these facts but this site seems to enjoy tearing each others renaults to bits so this is my turn to say, if you think the V6 is bad just have a close look at the williams its very very average.

Status
Not open for further replies.