ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Widearch Volvo Turbo (B18FT) Mega Bass Project almost complete

Clio Widearch
Sorry i forgot to add pics of my Supra over the weekend...was having too much fun in the sun..lol

Here she is...i look forward to some slating..lol

1.jpg

3-1.jpg

2.jpg

Listerine & Poledo
Now I can 95% agree with that supra.

It may be missing some leather and the flip-coloured interior may not be lto my liking, but so long as it's pushing a healthy BHP figure through the rear, good move.

I guess it's probably got a sub-box made of conrete in the boot though?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Not a fan TBH. We don't do Supras right in the UK, on the whole. That's a good example of why.

Awesome cars though, at least it's pushing a decent amount of power. Single turbo?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I love that supra! May be from my phase of loving the fast and furious films but that reminds me of when I used to idealise body kits... It works so well on that car.

Also, that inside looks so uncomfortable, with the seat so low and far back and the steering wheel and handbrake in such awkward positions. Correct me if I'm wrong lol

Clio Widearch
Hybrid HKS twins with steel blades. 490bhp is pushing it a bit on those and they do get a bit hot but the engines are bulletproof. I think the boost might have to drop a bit though just to make sure i dont crack a blade.

There is only a smallish system in this car. Theres a DEI 1100d and a ported Rockford Fosgate 12" Power Series along with uprated RF speakers all round. It still pushes over 142db which isn't bad for a relatively old setup.

The seats in there are really nice. they cost about £600 each back in the day.

Clio 182 Sport
wow. someone that actually likes it...thanks zorganator...lol

I dont see the point of taking offence to criticism. You can't please everyone. If i went crazy then i'd never get any help which is what i'm after really. :)

The car is 2 tonnes due to the Audio system. The 7 massive batteries in the back are 52 stone on their own without any of the MDF wall and the subs and 8 amps. As you can see i'm well into my ICE.

if anyone wants to see any other photos of the sound system and car specs etc then visit www.evilice.freeservers.com

I think you will find that modders like us are a dying breed ;) - too many people now find the need to follow the herd :dapprove: When you build a car like your clio or Supra (liking the paint job) you already know that not everyone will like it - its a love hate affair tbh. We get used to it lol. The funny thing is that unique cars always seem to get the magazine features and best show spots/feedback.... your also right about modding trends they all seem to come back around again in some form lol I am currently breaking my modified Fiesta ZS as someone crashed into it :( it has a one off bodykit and glitter paint job - again not to everyones taste but I loved it. I am also in the process of restoring a RS Orion that screams out early 90's styling lol will post some pics up in project thread.
Keep the clio if you can otherwise you will be gutted if you got rid... if you have to sell let me have first refusal lol

Keep up the good work!

Clio Widearch
I think we are a dying breed to be honest. If you look around the car mags on the shelves, the tides have shifted to power and jap style subtle mods and graphics. Some of the stuff looks nice and i can see the idea. However everyone has their wn tastes. I can't wait to get the clio finished and i will keep it (sorry to tell you) lol. I have too many memories that go with it as well..or does that sound daft? lol. I've put so much time and effort into it with my own hands that its kinda too personal to me now.

Sounds like you had a nice Zetec S until it went wrong. post some pics up of it..and the Orion. You can't beat a bit of old skool bodykitting..lol We will get back to those days soon.

Clio Widearch
I've just been looking at the photos from last years USC show. It looks like things have changed more than i thought on the modding front. Literally everyone has gone down the power and subtle mods route. I bet theres not alot to look at at shows these days unless its a track or rolling road day or something. I hope the trend comes back round to using kits and inovation to make something look nice for show purposes.

S4 Avant
Also, that inside looks so uncomfortable, with the seat so low and far back and the steering wheel and handbrake in such awkward positions. Correct me if I'm wrong lol

I'd suspect it's the exact opposite, japanese cars in general, are awesome for seating position. Hatchbacks are woeful on the whole.

Clio Widearch
you'd be right, they look like they should be terrible but strangley its a very natural position and is far more comfy than a hatchback. They should call them badback's instead :)

Clio 182 Sport
I've just been looking at the photos from last years USC show. It looks like things have changed more than i thought on the modding front. Literally everyone has gone down the power and subtle mods route. I bet theres not alot to look at at shows these days unless its a track or rolling road day or something. I hope the trend comes back round to using kits and inovation to make something look nice for show purposes.

It is true, at the moment its all about the clean, subtle look rather than "lets be different" lol It will change though soon...
As for your clio you have to keep it - the time money and effort you have put into it.... you just have too! You also should take it to shows when its finished as it will be a total one off - you will get very good feedback too i bet you! I wish I had kept some of my project cars but hey ho....
I will post up some pics of my 182 and RS Orion soon.... so far Orion is off road while I save up funds to repair the rotten floor and a few other bits and bobs for MOT. Clio is in garage gettin a new alternator and rear shock, And my modified fezza is in bits (stripping it)..
I have had a wild idea of trying to fit the bodykit that was on my fezza to my clio.. but still undecided on this. It would make the clio a total one off hehehehe will keep you posted.
Keep up the good work on the clio and Supra
As you are in Tam I will have to pop and see your cars at some point as I go to Coventry alot of the time (I am from there) to see family...which is not a million miles away.

Clio Widearch
You can come over for a look and go for a spin no problem at all. Hopefully i should have the Clio running soon as someone on the williams clio forum has told me that there is next to no work involved with the conversion. especially as it has come out of another running car with the loom already done. I'm going to have a crack at it over the Easter holiday. I will report back with the findings.

Get some pics up of your cars. i want to have a look..lol Your ideas sound interesting. As you said, its all about being different at the end of the day so any idea can be a good idea if done right.

I can't wait to get showing again. It'll be interesting to see how much interest the car gets or whether it wil be the outcast of the scene for a while...lol

Clio Widearch
Haven't been on here for a long while but will be back on the show scene next year so thought i would get some views on what people think of the rebuild so far with a short rebuild story.

In its former glory..originally a 1.4RT Bacarra

2-1.jpg

4.jpg

Then it sat in a garage for 4 years after other commitments and looked like this:

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg

Then it was on to the turbo conversion (Volvo B18FT):

DSCF0063.jpg

The sunroof removal

DSCF0072.jpg

DSCF0080.jpg

New Subs found a home:

DSCF0083.jpg

Interior got a makeover

DSCF0123.jpg

bodywork started:

DSCF0124.jpg

Trimming in progress

DSCF0121.jpg

Thought about going MG Trophy yellow for the new paint....then decided against that

DSCF0132.jpg

Start of the amp build:

DSCF0136.jpg

wheel colour change:

DSCF0250.jpg

rear amps trimmed up

DSCF0283_zpsfe1dcdd5.jpg

new bonnet vent in the fibreglass bonnet (the old one didn't fit over the new engine)

DSCF0376.jpg

Then decided to go a bit mental on the rear end (notice how the window rubbers mysteriously disappear)

DSCF0377.jpg

DSCF0391.jpg

clio001_zpsc8cc8389.jpg

DSCF0457_zps02d15bab.jpg

smoothing the front end:

DSCF0398_zps997df8bc.jpg

then onto some sound deadening for the doors

clio004_zps5b439e97.jpg

clio006_zps51dba4f7.jpg

clio007_zps91a424cf.jpg

clio008_zps1afdab25.jpg

Here's the most recent front shot:

clio009_zps328504da.jpg

And a rough idea of colour scheme when its done (Audi Ibis White with Peugeot blue wheels and Gloss black roof and accessories)

DSCF0169.jpg

And the most recent rear shots:

DSCF0488_zps98b302b0.jpg

DSCF0489_zps54573da1.jpg

Hope you enjoyed that even though i know it's not your cup of tea here. I will keep the site updated with pics as things progress over the next few months. Next weekend i'm doing the gloss black roof which is more more work than you would think on this.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I can appreciate the amount of work spent on this and to be fair it looks like it has been done to a good standard.

Last edited:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I detest what you're doing, but I can really really appreciate the effort you're going to! Fair play to you, that looks like a LOT of work! lol

It must weigh some serious amount though?!?

I don't get it, why are you filling every panel/place with wood/mdf? Surely if you want to soundproof it then some dynomat does the job, and certainly would be better and lighter?

As for the sunroof, that's a crazy way to fill it, I've never filled in my life but surely that's not right?

​Best of luck with the project, but it's an odd one!

Clio Widearch
The car weighs a lot..around 1.87 tonnes (probably more now actually) hence the airbag suspension.

The sunroof was tricky as there is an MDF roof so i couldn't risk welding it and setting everything on fire. The wooden beams were there from the roof being built which actually bent the original roof a bit at the front. The roof is now flat and the shape it should be. The filler on top is only for the shape as there will be a sheet of 1mm plastic over the whole roof to get it fully smooth.

The MDF in the doors has 2 jobs. One is to reduce door flex as there is 15'000 watts RMS and 3 big 15's attacking it constantly. It also provides a solid base for the door so the front end speakers are working in near enough a wooden enclosure in the door so give much better sound reproduction..imagine if your home theatre speakers were bolted in to steel enclosures..It would not be ideal. The MDF on the roof and interior is also to minimise flex and bass loss as well as making the front cabin to be a reduced size..this tends to make things louder.

Clio Widearch
i should add..almost all of the work on this car including the fibreglass work and audio etc has been done by myself. I don't have a large garage, i have a 4 year old and i have no qualifications or non-self taught skills leading to a single bolt being touched on the car...built not bought :)

Clio Widearch
​Bit of work done on the Clio this weekend. Its starting to get there now.

Progress is as follows

new front black windows
Fitted bonnet mesh
engine fan put on switch
Pillar covers made and wrapped in gloss black
door handles wrapped in gloss black
Front amps now working for Audio
New easy access battery charging points
roof fibreglassed ready for smoothing and wrapping
steering wheel straightened (tracking issue)
New battery terminals
underneath of bonnet sprayed black
front strobes fixed

DSCF0490_zps10bb8b59.jpg

DSCF0491_zps62f324c9.jpg

1.2 16v clio
interesting car mate as its been said each to there own the audio will be keeping me interested on this build as im into bassing aswell are you interested in competing the car to see how loud it is?

also i know hcca's can take a pounding even though they are rated at 2500w rms what sort of power are you doing and what sort of power supply you giving them

Clio Widearch
I wont be competing but i will give it an SPL test to see what its hitting. I'd expect mid 150's. The HCCA's are rated at 2000 watts RMS but i'll be giving them 5000ish each. I have 15k RMS of amp power on tap. As long as the systems scoped it should be fine on music. I wont be doing many SPL burps to cause problems.

Electrical wise, there are 7 gel cell batteries and a big one up front and a 210amp alternator to go in with an external regulator.

I had a look at your system spec in your profile, looks like a nice system. have you had it metered or anything?

1.2 16v clio
I wont be competing but i will give it an SPL test to see what its hitting. I'd expect mid 150's. The HCCA's are rated at 2000 watts RMS but i'll be giving them 5000ish each. I have 15k RMS of amp power on tap. As long as the systems scoped it should be fine on music. I wont be doing many SPL burps to cause problems. Electrical wise, there are 7 gel cell batteries and a big one up front and a 210amp alternator to go in with an external regulator. I had a look at your system spec in your profile, looks like a nice system. have you had it metered or anything?

yea i do a 145db at 33hz with a spl dynamics s2000d at 1.33ohm so im getting about 1600w rms give or take a few

what is your wall tuned to?

Clio Widearch
Its untested as yet but the old box which was slightly bigger and had 3x RE XXX 15's in it was tuned to 32Hz which i found a bit low for the musical system i want. This one has dropped around 4cuft and should be somewhere around 35Hz ish. The XXX system with the solids pushing around 6000watts and lower tuning was tested at 151.7 but now the amps are strapped and and running 0.5 ohm, even with box impedance rise i would expect at least 4000 per pair. If i don't get 155 i will be suprised. Especially since now the subs are larger (HCCA's come out about an inch bigger than other 15's) The roof is MDF, the doors have been MDF'd inside and higher tuning too.

Those JBL subs you use are really good for the money to be fair...take plenty of abuse. 145db is a good result from a window line install with 1600 watts. I'd be happy with that.

1.2 16v clio
Its untested as yet but the old box which was slightly bigger and had 3x RE XXX 15's in it was tuned to 32Hz which i found a bit low for the musical system i want. This one has dropped around 4cuft and should be somewhere around 35Hz ish. The XXX system with the solids pushing around 6000watts and lower tuning was tested at 151.7 but now the amps are strapped and and running 0.5 ohm, even with box impedance rise i would expect at least 4000 per pair. If i don't get 155 i will be suprised. Especially since now the subs are larger (HCCA's come out about an inch bigger than other 15's) The roof is MDF, the doors have been MDF'd inside and higher tuning too. Those JBL subs you use are really good for the money to be fair...take plenty of abuse. 145db is a good result from a window line install with 1600 watts. I'd be happy with that.

yea im a little happy about it this year ive been strengthening the car like mdf roof etc so im hoping to up the score a little what format do you test in i test in pd format were the termlab sensor is on the headrest on the passenger seat so basicly the sound pressure is what your passenger gets when sitting in the car

if you have raised your tuning it should be getting louder for you mate as raising the tuning generally gets louder i personally dont like high tuning boxes as im a ground pounder i enjoy from 20-40hz lol

i do like how you have done your doors i bet that is one strong door also does your window work still?

Clio Widearch
That was one of the things i had to do this weekend, where the excess fibreglass was inside the door i had to trim it as 1 window was stuck and 1 was scraping all over the place, all working like a dream now though. I don't recommend doing it unless you've got quite a few hours spare.lol

I test at DB Drag position but i may try PD next time. I'm only after a rough estimate just to see what it's doing as its not really about numbers for me. Even though i've had minimal testing so far, the system sounds much more musical than the old one and still drops nicely. With the epic 150 dialled in to around 40Hz it kicks like a donkey..lol

Clio 172
WOW! Reminds me of Max Power back in the 90's. Fair play for being different. How do you insure it? I mean do you declare that the car weighs just shy of two tonne and is filled with wood? Must be a bit of a fire risk, wood, fibreglass and a load of batteries.

Clio Widearch
As long as everything is installed correctly (which it is) there is no risk of fire really more than any other car. It was briefly on fire at a show once back in the day but that was some LED lights i used to have which decided to cause some magic smoke...lol. There is a fire extinguisher in the car though. The batteries are sealed gel cell so don't cause any problems.

Insurance wise i declare the bodykit, wheels and engine, that's all i need to worry about.

It's like a police car in a 90's rave.

Very max power but so what eh?! As long as you like it I guess... I can appreciate you've put years of your time into it despite the fact I can think of nothing worse!

Clio Widearch
lol. i know its not your cup of tea on this forum but something different is always going to be trying to fit in to a slot that might not be there right now..lol

Twingo Dynamique
so... i do like it.... but i wouldnt do it to my car anytime soon...

one thing i would like to know though.... other than MDF.... is there a decent sound deadening solution that isnt really quite expensive....?? cheers. :)

Clio Widearch
The best stuff for the money is roof flashing tape from homebase or trade suppliers. Its thinner than say Dynamat but if you double it up it does just as well but for half the cost.

I have that on the inner skin of my doors which prevents interior panel rattle, then the MDF is on the outer skin to prevent door flex. The MDF has another advantage that the speakers work better as the door acts like a wooden enclosure rather than firing at metal so mid-bass response is improved.