ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Widearch Volvo Turbo (B18FT) Mega Bass Project almost complete

Clio 182 Sport
Hi

I've had my Clio 1.4RT for about 10 years now. Due to other commitments it hasn't been out of the garage for 3 years but now its time to finish it off and get showing again.

Below is a link to some pics and vids of the car as she stands.

http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p214/cliogerbil/?action=view&current=DSCF0033.mp4

I have the volvo engine in there now. It was actually taken out of another Clio with the conversion already done. The snag is i dont know alot about engines to be honest. I hear the wiring is the hardest part of the conversion but this was already done and working so should be easy to sort with the right knowledge.

If anyone fancies lending a hand as to where the pipes and wiring loom fit i can sort the rest.

Thanks in advance for any help that you guys can provide.

Cheers

Russ

I really like this - reminds me of my Clio Williams I used to have, I had a similar rear spoiler, dropped a silly amount, 17" TSW Venoms in Gold, cheqs over bonnet etc etc... I was 17 at the time.

Great cars! looks like you have spent alot of time and money on it and I think its paid off - fair play for being different!

Clio Widearch
wow. someone that actually likes it...thanks zorganator...lol

I dont see the point of taking offence to criticism. You can't please everyone. If i went crazy then i'd never get any help which is what i'm after really. :)

The car is 2 tonnes due to the Audio system. The 7 massive batteries in the back are 52 stone on their own without any of the MDF wall and the subs and 8 amps. As you can see i'm well into my ICE.

if anyone wants to see any other photos of the sound system and car specs etc then visit www.evilice.freeservers.com

2.2 bar shed.
Why the need for all the weight and batteries? My mates running 145.9 dB before upgrades and he has only added about 300kg in weight?! Thats with a potent alternator, and a dual battery setup, car computer, twin RE 18's and some massive amps.

Clio Widearch
I built the system to an over engineered spec really. The MDF wall is the entire back of the car and fixed to it directly. It is over 100mm thick in places and braced with steel rod etc. The car with the old system (3 RE XXX 15's) hit 153db on the termlab with a genuine 6kw and when the Orion HCCA's went in i upgraded to 12kw to the subs so needed the extra juice and the bigger alternator capacity to play for long periods when showing (hence the engine change) It hasn't been tested yet but its got a good chance of at least a 156-157db this time around.

Every 3db takes around double the cone area or double the power and the huicfe has to come from somewhere unfortunately.

Stripped yozza'd cup
Lose those stupid winglet spoiler things and you'll look instantly 90% less like a knob.

A clio is also a very odd Car to choose for SPL competitions, which I'm guessing is what you do? what are you running?

EDIT: just read the other pages. RE XXX's are unreal..... fair play to you chap!

Mk5 Ibiza Cupra
oh-lawd.jpg

The walls of the enclosure are between 54mm and 108mm thick plus 3 layers of fibreglass all around the inside of the box. The fibreglass makes the box incredibly strong and prevents any kind of air leaks. 5mm thick steel angle iron has been used to strengthen the corners and front and rear faces of the enclosure. It has also been used to strengthen the port top and bottom to prevent "db robbing" port flex. The enclosure itself is built to every side of the car meaning no box or car flex at all. Any sort of flex in the box, car panels or the port will mean a quieter system. The box has also been strengthened with 3x 12mm zinc plated steel rods running from front to back. These reduce box flex as the subs try to push the rear of the box away from the front when under load.

Holy H Christ.

If it was in a different car would be better, but the car is pretty gash imo.

Clio Widearch
Jack - I used to run XXX 15's running but now i'm using Orion HCCA 15's. The XXX's were being fed about 2kw each but with 4kw per sub i had to upgrade. The HCCA's will take that kind of abuse on a clean signal all day long. They are also more like 17" subs than 15's cone area wise. I'm in the process of testing at the moment though so can't crank it up full whack.

That spoiler is the one (actual one) off the silver Renault 5 GTT from the first Ali G film with the second fin taken out and lengthened to fit the clio. I still like it.

Turbos.
Fair play for taking the criticism, i probably would be crying in the corner.

Think at 30 though dude, you've got to let it go! Seriously, you wouldn't walk around in the same clothes you would as a 17 year old, so don't do it with your car!

Why are you into ICE? Surely it is for attention, and i imagine the same with the car's looks? Yet you're not bothered by the majority not liking it? Fair play, but me no understand...

Clio Widearch
I've been into ICE for years. Its just the whole feeling of bass. nothing about being looked at or anything like that. There is nothing like being surrounded by pure battering bass in my book. I guess its an aquired taste. Its also the tweaking and tuning you can do to make things better (the same as engines i suppose)

Obviously the car i think looks good. I know bodykits and stuff are a bit out these days but they do have a habit of coming back around in time. Back in the 80's it used to be widearch kits and things, then it came back in the 90's for a while and then around 2000 onnwards. You'll all be doing it again soon..lol

I dont care how good the sound system is or how good your rep for the supra is.... But Oh my days what is going on thier complete gash.

SG9 Forester STi
My honest opinion - The car doesn't look too good. Fair play to you for putting all of the time and effort into the car and the engine work etc. but you say it doesn't please everyone? Without meaning to sound harsh I think you'll struggle to find many car enthusiasts who think the car looks good.

If it makes you happy though :)

Oh...pics of the Supra?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
i remember that car from the first ever FCS, what was your old forum name? I recall the roof shaking

I reckon it was EvilIce or something like that, back when I was EvilJohn! Been a good few years since I've seen it kicking about. Defo out of fashion these days though. But if you've done it for yourself who cares!

1.2 Dynamique 16v
No more than when Replicas get left for dead by Mini coopers or Panda 100's.

Just, that in this car, you cant hear them laughing

Poor comparison. Most replica's look good, this car doesn't.. atall.

However in terms of your analysis, yes those people in their Replica's will feel stupid.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
So many haters, not my bag but I get it and you can see the work that's been put in. If you not cleaning your car or driving it on track most here will hate it.

Pop over to rtoc.org for info on the swap, plenty of them going on there and lots of helpful info

On the plus side, I like the wheels and the rally-look wide arches. Nice to see you following through with an 11 year old project too, I think nearly all would have given up and sold it by now!

I won't mention the spoiler, gold bits or the interior :L

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
First things I would do on the styling front if you arent going to remove the bodykit:

Remove the spoiler
Change bonnet for a standard valver/williams item
Standard front and rear lights
Colour code the sidestrips and front splitter
Get some subtle exhausts at the rear
Remove stickers, badges from rear and sunstrip

Chav Rocket
same as chris really, you have the chance to make it current when it goes to paint. I hope you choose well!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I sat in this years ago outside hill power on a williams rolling road day - If I recall it needed better soundproofing as every panel rattled when the music was cracked up!

Honda ATR
Hmmmm,

not my thing mate the car is well and truly stuck in the early 90's. As everyone else says get rid of the body kit, exhaust and wheels and turn it into a decent example.

BG 182
I started reading this thread before I looked at the pictures, I therefofe knew exactly what the car would look like.

To be fair if that is what you see as a good looking car then fair play mate

Stripped yozza'd cup
Jack - I used to run XXX 15's running but now i'm using Orion HCCA 15's. The XXX's were being fed about 2kw each but with 4kw per sub i had to upgrade. The HCCA's will take that kind of abuse on a clean signal all day long. They are also more like 17" subs than 15's cone area wise. I'm in the process of testing at the moment though so can't crank it up full whack.

That spoiler is the one (actual one) off the silver Renault 5 GTT from the first Ali G film with the second fin taken out and lengthened to fit the clio. I still like it.

Well, then I'm sold. Although I think I'd still rather my the spoiler on the wall than on my car!

That is some very serious audio equipment you have there.... I used to run a small audio business while I was at uni, I ran a xxx 15'' for a few months but was more into SQ than SPL really.

Clio Widearch
Jack - I must say, it did sound very nice with the XXX's but they are more of an SQL woofer. I like the brutalness of the HCCA's in the right enclosure they really pound..lol I'm into streetbass than SPL or SQ to be honest.

Daz - The car has been upgraded a lot since then. It has a wall instead of a mixture of 6 different subs that i used to have when it was at Hill Power that day. There is next to no rattle anymore. The sunroof has also been MDF'd over to stop that jumping out of the roof like it used to. Back then it used to be a sealed system so was only pushing about 148db. Very good effect but not loud enough for me..lol

With regards to the old username i was indeed Evil ICE previously. I forgot my login details though.

Just out of interest. what makes a nice car to people in these parts. I'm guessing its mainly wheels, exhaust, lowering and engine mods? When i started the project cars like that tended to be for the people who couldn't afford to do a showcar or were a bit half arsed..lol..times have changed more than i thought.

I will post a pic of the Supra this afternoon. I have a feeling you wont like that either though.:rasp:

Clio Widearch
Hi

What do you mean by is it the black one?

I agree DD subs are great for SPL. They dont like playing low enough for streetbass in my opinion though. Not what i would call streetbass anyway (less than 25Hz) My Orions are tuned to 36Hz but drop really well due to the massive excursion levels they can have (3"+)

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
there was a black clio competing in db drag a couple of years ago,

i looove DDs -- kevlar cone om nom nom
humm not sure i agree on that, street bass doenst have to be that low.

have you tried the VIBE stuff?
A025-1.jpg

been a while sinse i had any involvement with them tho tbh so dont know how they rate now

Last edited:
  2003 Clio sport 172
you used to be on the chilled cruising website years ago didnt you, i didnt think the clio would still be about now, always loved the wheels, i had the same ones on my AX GT500, dunno if you can remember me lol, this was my car back then..
DSC_0341.jpg

Clio Widearch
Vibe stuff isn't bad actually when you get to the higher end. I wouldn't like to do a full install in it personally as there are better value products out there.

DD's can do streetbass but they have a particular sound which is an aquired taste. For a musical install i find them a bit harsh. For SPL as you say....very very good. The bigger ranges can take 10kw of power for burps and are really reliable. anything SPL wise they are well up there with the best of the best

Clio Widearch
Bonkers - Yeah i remember you on there. Chilled Cruising was a great site. Its a shame it went pear shaped. I still have my T-Shirt from a show we went to once with our usernames on the back...lol

2003 Clio sport 172
haha, i aranged one of the wednesbury meets once when i had my blue AX, good old days lol, i still talk to nick every now n then on facebook