ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio v6 buying advice

182 Cup ITB
I'm thinking of buying a V6 next spring, if I can find one, and wondered if anybody has any advice or experiences of what to look out for. I'm not fussed about MPG or practicality (otherwise I'd buy a Prius!) more about reliability and build quality. I've seen a few low mileage Ph1's for sale but are ph2's a better bet? I know the Ph 2's have a tad more power but are they better built and do they have other advantages?

Are the belt changes a pain on the V6, like the 182? It's not a big deal but if they are I'd prefer to buy one that doesn't need the belts done for a while.

And just interested to hear anybody's experience of them, really. Cheers.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
check on v6clio.net?

i prefer the look of the ph2 (and they come in LY :eek:) and they sorted the handling problems a bit with the facelift

iirc you have to remove the engine to do the belts, arounf £1k

hope that helps

182 Cup ITB
I didn't know there was a special V6 site, I'll go and ask there too. Thanks for the info. BTW I saw a LY v6 for sale a while ago but IIRC it was £21K!! Very nice though.

182 Cup ITB
Fletcher - I'll have to get in there first, there doesn't seem to be hardly any for sale recently!

KFRRS94 - That's what I'm thinking, tired of being sensible. It's the f***-offness of the V6 that attracts me more than anything else.

Matt W - I'll check it out although I can't really comment there on account of being banned :)

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
If you need any help give me a shout ive sold around 11.

Theres only a couple of decent places to get the belts done....

S

GW Stage 2 R26
Buy a phase 2 everytime.. I've driven both.. Interior alone is far better. Also you'll only get a mk 1 in silver as over 95% of them are.. They also feel like they will kill you in the wet even more than the mk 2.. The belts are quite a big job. But I don't think it's an engine out job if you take it to the right place anymore. I ran a mk 2 as a daily for over 18 months and it gave me no trouble.. The steering feels scarily light to start with and you don't just get in one and rag it like a 182.. Takes a while to get used to it and nudge it upto the limits. But don't go over them or try and get it to oversteer or it will just spin.. Any of the bespoke v6 parts are horrendously expensive though.. And it cost me an absolute fortune to run.. 16mpg when you get used to it.. Don't expect it to feel particularly quick either.. Sound amazing though.. Most of the mk 2s are Iliad blue.. Then black gold, then titanium then a handful of the other colours..

182 Cup ITB
Thanks for the replies, even the one on fire... :( I'll certainly be having a look early next year to see if I can find a decent example, prob ph 2 as SMK suggests, but it needs to be a fair price too. My mechanic would be fine for the belts, etc. he's pretty good and works on all sorts of performance and track cars. Alternatives right now are a 350Z (313bhp, has to be tangerine) or an R26-R but I guess I need to drive them first. In the meantime still got the 182 and it's a great car so I'm not complaining.

Best advise is go and see as many you can and dont buy the first you see! Condition can vary massively.

Do your research, join v6clio.net as a paid member to get access to the info in the register before handing over your cash. HPI checks are a must.

If budget is tight its better to get a top phase 1 than a shoddy phase 2.

All 3 cars your considering are very different with very different ownership experiences. If your into track days & something a little special, look to the R26.R. If your after a decent daily driver get the 350z, or for a bonkers mad depreciation free weekend toy, get the v6!

182 Cup ITB
ddouble - I'm OCD when it comes to researching. Took me 6 months to find the 182 Cup and spent literally hours checking the car and looking through the paperwork (even had the owner return the V5 to correct a VIN typo before I'd buy!) I'm not on any particular budget but I just would never spend over the odds (thinking of some ads I've seen where a LY paintjob adds £4K or whatever!)

Fred - a bit better than the "courtesy" car I get when I take mine in - it's more like an insult car than a courtesy car.

EdV6220 - thanks, I'll check it out.

Petrol Blue 182.
What sort of price do you have in mind?

Colours and mileage have a massive shout in the prices of the V6's

Most common in Illiad blue and can be found the cheapest on the market (It's a great colour IMO and it's what I'd be going for)
Black is also quite common.

Mars, LY, Acid, Lunar, are all quite rare and therefore command a slightly higher price and don't come up for sale oftern.
The last Acid yellow that came up was for £19,000 and there was no evidence belts had been done. (add 1k for that)
Then again an Acid hadn't been for sale for over a year and a half prior to that.

Patience I think is the key to buying a V6, make sure it's the colour your after, and do your home work on the car.
As others have said, get on V6.net. Theres not many things they don't know on Vees in general or on individual cars history etc.

GW Stage 2 R26
As said Iliad is your best bet. Most common and really suits it.. I like titanium also.. BG doesn't really do it for me. And any other colour you pay a large premium..

Heres my old one..
001.jpg

007.jpg

004.jpg

GW Stage 2 R26
Titanium mk 2s are reasonably rare. Think there was 27 made. Compared to over 250 illiads and 80-90 black golds. Forget the exact figures now. Something like 6-8 in LY and acid..

LY Clio V6
Colours and mileage have a massive shout in the prices of the V6's

Most common in Illiad blue and can be found the cheapest on the market (It's a great colour IMO and it's what I'd be going for)
Black is also quite common.

Mars, LY, Acid, Lunar, are all quite rare and therefore command a slightly higher price and don't come up for sale oftern.
The last Acid yellow that came up was for £19,000 and there was no evidence belts had been done. (add 1k for that)

That acid was on ebay and going for £20,000 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-RENA...0099980?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2a250aef0c) without the belts being done and quite a few years over due he wouldn't take under £19,500.

I'm not on any particular budget but I just would never spend over the odds (thinking of some ads I've seen where a LY paintjob adds £4K or whatever!)

That maybe your views however it's more than the paint to why cars maybe valued higher than others on the market, the old don't judge a book by its covers is perfect example for the vees. How rare a colour is does add to the value but then again few "common" colours have been marketed around high teens this year thus not to far away from the price of the LY you mention.

The most expensive LY to sell recently was low 20's, however the car had less than a thousand miles . . . . . so on first glass yes the LY was expensive but it wasn't just the paint pointing to the high selling price.

Lionel Richie
The thing that had always bugged me with the ID cars (the ones in the rare colours) is that they have horrible silver interior trim, no biggie, but why Renault did that i have no idea!

PH1 V6
Do your research first pal and then start looking. Service history is very important with these cars and it can be tempting to buy the first one you see!

If you need any advice or pointers then just pm me!