ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO IV RS - Trophy from page 111

The price really seems to be an issue in the UK. Here where I live the Clio can be purchased for about as much as the Fiesta (or even lower).

An orange one

Just for a comparison i'll include the prices I've been quoted on PCP finance with a £2500 deposit.

Fiesta ST with all options over 36 months - £16,900 - which works out about £210 a month.

RS Clio Lux with Cup Chassis, over 48 months - £20,900 - which works out at £322 a month.

Thats pretty much the nail in the coffin for the Clio, for 2 very similar rivals in the same class, that price gap is massive! A year less on the fiesta and £112 less per month.. Who the hell decided the clio's price??? Either that or their interest rate is very high on PCP?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Colin i'd like to know about final payments etc or handing it back etc.

clio diesel
I think that may be the most retarded thing I've ever read on here.

And how many people pay the final installment to keep the car? Face it, these deals are just renting the car. If you pay monthly, and swap before the last payment, you are renting your car pure and simple, you never own it.

Not until the car is 100 % paid for is it yours and at any time the real owners, the finance company, can come and get their property.

And yes, a mortgage is renting from the bank, until you pay them off. Why do you think the deeds are kept in the bank until the last payment is made? Because they own 'your' house.

Renting is 'paying someone for use of something'. If the bank owns the house and the finance company owns the car, you are paying for its use. It is by definition renting.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
And how many people pay the final installment to keep the car? Face it, these deals are just renting the car. If you pay monthly, and swap before the last payment, you are renting your car pure and simple, you never own it.

Not until the car is 100 % paid for is it yours and at any time the real owners, the finance company, can come and get their property.

And yes, a mortgage is renting from the bank, until you pay them off. Why do you think the deeds are kept in the bank until the last payment is made? Because they own 'your' house.

​And this makes a difference how?

clio diesel
Take Clio out if it because this seems a particularly bad deal and its not financial suicide at all if you can afford it...

As long as you acknowledge it is 340 a month to rent the car, what you say is correct. Those people who cant afford the 22k to buy it, have to rent it to be able to afford it.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Because the deal paying 340 pounds a month to rent a clio. How is this not financial suicide?

But spending 20k+ on one for it to lose atleast 30% of that in the next 4 years isn't?

Wouldn't you rather pay just the depreciation on it and then hand it back? I know i would.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
As long as you acknowledge it is 340 a month to rent the car, what you say is correct. Those people who cant afford the 22k to buy it, have to rent it to be able to afford it.

How is it renting? It's just like paying off a loan or finance its still not technically yours until you've paid it off. Only with pcp you have the option to give the car back and get a new car

Suzuki Jimny

Are you sure?

I've pcp'd mine and will be paying the final payment. I would prefer to be paying monthly than spend the full amount in one go. Dickhead.

E92 325D
£3k down, 48 x £340.57 seems a lot to me?

How come its that much more than the £1k down, £199 x 24 the old 200 was?

The £199 a month deal had a final payment, the 48 x 340 will cover the entire cost of the car, no balloon payment at the end. I pay just over £300 on mine over 48 months and at the end of the deal the car is mine. No lump sum to refinance at the end.

In hindsight, with the hassle ive had, i should have just paid the 199 a month and handed it back!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
But at least you'll own something at the end of it mate, that's a big thing imo.

Nissan 350z

Just for a comparison i'll include the prices I've been quoted on PCP finance with a £2500 deposit.

Fiesta ST with all options over 36 months - £16,900 - which works out about £210 a month.

RS Clio Lux with Cup Chassis, over 48 months - £20,900 - which works out at £322 a month.

Holy s**t thats terrible! Why would Renault do such appauling finance packages on a watered down RS Clio they are meant to be "appealing to a wider audience" with!?

The £199 a month deal had a final payment, the 48 x 340 will cover the entire cost of the car, no balloon payment at the end.

Read Jack.'s post, those are PCP rates not HP Finance aparently.

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
Sat in one in the Renaultsport shop thing in Paris. I have to say its awesome and I was one who was unsure. It looks awesome in LY and the interior is epic! I now want one badly.

Read Jack.'s post, those are PCP rates not HP Finance aparently.

Yeah they are PCP rates, the final payment on the Clio is £6900 after 4 years @ 10,000 miles a year. I have since been able to get the Clio down to about £285 per month through an online broker, still too much though.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
looks like a good runabout, I prefer small turbo petrols to diesels, I don't do massive miles anyway, I wouldn't pay anything near that for one. im sure when I bought my GT DCi mk3 with every option bar sat nav ticked it cost me just under £15k, this is 5k more expensive!!

C63 PP,R1,,Clubman
CLIOSPORT! :p,Great to see the place looking busy as ever...

Quick question for those in the know,i have the new 200 on order cup pack RS monitor etc and have been told not to expect delivery until September now because of the RS monitor being delayed ?? Ive been given the option to untick and get the car sooner.Anybody else with a car on order been given any date of delivery without the rs monitor ??

I put my order in as soon as the books opened and they said july but it seems to change every week tbh.

So yesterday I attended the Goodwood Festival of Speed Moving Motor Show with a pal of mine. We got there early enough so that we could get the chance of signing up for a test drive in a couple of cars. Headed to the RS area, and managed to bag myself a drive up the hill climb in the new RS Clio.

First impressions are that they look very, very nice in the metal. Much better than in photos/video footage. They have quite a lot of presence on the road, especially in Liquid Yellow which looks superb. The inside was nice. Seats felt snug and supportive, and the steering wheel and stalks felt much "chunkier" than previous RS models. I wasn't particuarly keen on the shiny black centre console surround - seems like a giant finger print magnet (which there were already hundreds of already on it) and will likely send the more OCD people into a fit.

The engine sound effects are just a bit... "meh". I really didn't know what to make of them. Yeah sure, it sounds cool when you select the V6 engine noise, and it burbles along down the road, but it does sound extremely electronic and not as "real" as I would have hoped. When you turn it off, the car is silent. Even when pressing on, it barely made a sound. I watched a couple of them fly up the track and they there is no exahust note whatsoever. Just sounds like a bog standard road car. Maybe that's just me, but I want my car to sound decent (without being overpowering like a Yozza) when giving it some beans, and this just doesn't.

As the course is only short, and you are obviously limited to how much you can chuck the thing around, it was hard to get a proper idea on how well it goes. I had it in manual mode, with the flappy paddle gear box. The paddles felt very nice. I was expecting typical French pish with terrible build quality, but these were very solid and felt nice. Time will tell though. When driving, I found the gearbox to be very dissapointing. Shifting up felt slow and lazy. I'd flick the paddle and expect it to get into gear fairly quickly, but I found it was taking a second or two to do so. I know that it probably would take the same time if not longer in a manual to activate the clutch, and shift the stick in to the required gear, but at least you actually feel like you are doing something, and not waiting for the car to deal with the gear change "request". What I did find however is shifting down was almost instantaneous. I'd drop a gear it would fly. Very satisfying.

It was hard to tell how it handles, as I wasn't able to wrap it round the bends with any real pace, but it did feel planted and there was minimal body roll.

Overall it was a dissapointing experience. I was holding judgement until I got to have a drive in one. There was just something about it that didn't feel right, and I can't really put my finger on what it was. Maybe it's because I'm not used to flappy paddle - I'm not really sure. All I know is that it made me appreciate my Megane more than ever when I got back in it at the end of the day.

I've probably glided straight over a lot of points, so feel free to fire away any questions!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
95% of road cars that were going up the hill yesterday were completely silent. If you sent a clio 200 Mk3 up there it would have been completely silent... The only things making noise were the big Audi V8's and the Ferrari's. Even Nissan's 370z sounded really quiet.

I accept that the gearbox isn't for everyone, but it's no where near 1-2 seconds for a gear change...

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
95% of road cars that were going up the hill yesterday were completely silent. If you sent a clio 200 Mk3 up there it would have been completely silent... The only things making noise were the big Audi V8's and the Ferrari's. Even Nissan's 370z sounded really quiet.

Yeah but even a 200 makes an exhaust note, a sound. The 200T just doesn't make anything at all.

BG DCI
Yeah but even a 200 makes an exhaust note, a sound. The 200T just doesn't make anything at all.

This.

I went yesterday and you can definitely hear the other cars... theres no way you can say the 200T is the same sounds wise as the 370z...

The car was lovely in the flesh agreed and inside was much more refined. Hated the exhaust noise being played to you in the car... Just seems something a 10 year old would like. i wish they had spent that research money on something more useful to the driving experience of the car..

I cant see it being at all a better DRIVERS car than any other the previous RS models... Maybe more refined but with the slow gearbox and not much character, I would still buy ANY of the previous RS models if cost was not an option..

Just my 2p but I had seen and been in the car now 1st hand to experience it!

Liam.

The demo car I was driving made pretty decent noise - both from the engine intake and from the exhaust. It was one of the best sounding 4 cylinder cars I have heard in a long time, certainly in this price range.

Mini Cooper S sport
Sat in the LY one at Goodwood today, I LOVED it. It's absolutely the best-looking Clio they've made in years, if not the best-ever.

Loved the black mirrors and wheels, interior was a nice place to be with great seats and I even like the way they've designed the rear doors.

I'd have one in a heartbeat .. except for the price. £19k before you start adding options. LY paint is £1300. Ouch.

Focus ST-2
4.2seconds?!! That's hysterical, I'd have laughed.

had a look around a liquid yellow one in my local dealers, guy came over briefly told me that it has launch control does 0-60mph in 4.2 seconds and they aren't getting a demo in, neither is any of the Arnold clarks in this area, if I want one I need to buy one lol No thanks!