ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO IV RS - Trophy from page 111

Fabia VRS & Yeti
Re: CLIO IV RS for 2013, Last news

Family Clio ftw! No clutch so even the wife drive it and it has the required amount of doors to make it justifiable as a sensible purchase!
It may even be fairly comfy and have a decent stereo...

Clio 182 FF

I hope it really takes off... that means i will be able to pick up the last great clio 200 at a good price...

CLIO 2 RS trackcar

Yes and No ! ^^
YES if the 4RS is a success like the others Clio RS before
and
NO if the 4RS is a fail because in this case all the fans will search to buy one 3RS 200hp and automatically its price will increase ^^

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa

nice to see sunflower yellow is making a return ( seen it on offical renault site )

and its not as bad looking as i thought... :D

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1

Love peoples understanding of the modern AMT (Automatic manual transmission). Its the complete lack of understanding that makes people have a bad time with them. For example I keep reading people barking about it not having a clutch... Well it does...but you wont control it. If people drove these boxes remembering that there is a clutch in there and used a bit of mechanical sympathy they actually become very smooth and very enjoyable to use. And as for knocking the VW DSG... mental statement. I drove a v6 TT with the DSG and it was bloody fantastic, going from 6th to 3rd with a few flicks of my L1 finger (playstation pad) in a mater of seconds was phenomenal.. If I could choose a manual H gate or an AMT on track I know which one I would choose.

We are going to have to put up with AMT's and smaller turbo engines because of CO2 ratings and what not, at the end of the day if you want a raw Renault driving experience buy a PH1.. or better still a Willy.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Love peoples understanding of the modern AMT (Automatic manual transmission). Its the complete lack of understanding that makes people have a bad time with them. For example I keep reading people barking about it not having a clutch... Well it does...but you wont control it. If people drove these boxes remembering that there is a clutch in there and used a bit of mechanical sympathy they actually become very smooth and very enjoyable to use. And as for knocking the VW DSG... mental statement. I drove a v6 TT with the DSG and it was bloody fantastic, going from 6th to 3rd with a few flicks of my L1 finger (playstation pad) in a mater of seconds was phenomenal.. If I could choose a manual H gate or an AMT on track I know which one I would choose.

We are going to have to put up with AMT's and smaller turbo engines because of CO2 ratings and what not, at the end of the day if you want a raw Renault driving experience buy a PH1.. or better still a Willy.

Point missed.

I want it to have a clutch pedal and a gearstick. Nothing else about the 'box matters to me. At all.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1

Nope, point not missed. I know what your saying. Its the pleasure of driving with a manual box.. but my point is, what does a manual box with a gearstick and pedal actually do that an AMT don't do? the pro's actually favour the AMT. Maintaining both hands on the wheel at all times being the most obvious.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I know an AMT 'box is better in almost every way, that's not disputed...it's the interaction that's lacking.

Clicking a button or pulling a paddle does not come close to the sensation of a perfectly rev matched downshift while braking and entering. It's a skill that's pleasurable to perform.

No AMT can ever replicate that...I hope Renault reconsider. If not It'll have to be a GT86 when the 200 comes up for replacement.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1

Don't get me wrong I ain't having a go, I know and understand the interaction and its all part of the joy of driving. Perhaps its as I am getting old, or it might be the several botched down shifts and subsequent brown trouser moments i had when i was at the "Ring" not so long ago. I really don't mind the idea of the AMT.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3

I know an AMT 'box is better in almost every way, that's not disputed...it's the interaction that's lacking.

Clicking a button or pulling a paddle does not come close to the sensation of a perfectly rev matched downshift while braking and entering. It's a skill that's pleasurable to perform

I'm no racing driver, nor do I consider myself a particularly fast driver, but that sums it up for me. I enjoy using three pedals. I enjoy rev matching and h&t. That to me is all part of the driving experience.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member

Unfortunately this seems to be the way the motor industry is heading. Will the manual box will soon be a thing of the past, like the choke? (i'm not old enough to have used one of those!)

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3

Unfortunately this seems to be the way the motor industry is heading. Will the manual box will soon be a thing of the past, like the choke? (i'm not old enough to have used one of those!)

I had one in my first car too!

But yes, I think you're right mate. In 5 years time there won't be a new car on sale with a manual box.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but surely a manual 6 speed box will be cheaper to produce and fit into every model? I thought this was what Renault were trying to do, in terms of keeping manufacturing costs down through 5 door only etc?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member

I imagine it's the Nissan gearbox so Renault have just bought engine and box off Nissan. Meaning they have saved on design costs of the engine and box and probably manufacture by buying from Nissan. Of which they own shares in etc.

Its clear that Renault have "gone cheap" on this car. Using parts from the previous model, only making it in 5 door, using a Nissan engine and drive gear. Saves them a fortune

Rusty Cup

That colour scheme is shocking and the dash looks like its made of foam n gaffa tape.. Clutch or no clutch I won't be buying one until I've finished paying for the 200.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Certainly seems to be heading that way, plus boost and smaller capacity. At this rate the 200 may well end up being THE last true 'old school' NA hatch with a manual 'box.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but surely a manual 6 speed box will be cheaper to produce and fit into every model? I thought this was what Renault were trying to do, in terms of keeping manufacturing costs down through 5 door only etc?

This is what I'm hoping. Manual in a Cup version at least surely makes sense.

Only comfort for me is that the GT86 awaits if not. After that though...I may be forced to the dark (boost + AMT) side.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Don't get me wrong I ain't having a go, I know and understand the interaction and its all part of the joy of driving. Perhaps its as I am getting old, or it might be the several botched down shifts and subsequent brown trouser moments i had when i was at the "Ring" not so long ago. I really don't mind the idea of the AMT.

Have to admit I'm intrigued by them. Aim to take the new RS out on a Renaultsport day at least to see if I could ever get along with it.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1

Learn to left foot brake and with the twin clutch box reported in the new clio you should get along just fine.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio

Left foot braking is pretty simple tbh, using two pedals with one foot is what I and it seems everyone else here likes doing, it is just more pleasurable.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1

you are right too but the easy increase of the power by mod the pression in the turbo the Turbo is not a good thing in a middle or long period for the rest of the engine...

Left foot braking is pretty simple tbh, using two pedals with one foot is what I and it seems everyone else here likes doing, it is just more pleasurable.

I'm probably not as good a driver on here then. :p

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1

*as everyone on here. I am useless at typing on my phone with auto correct etc.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio

In this video you can see the driver reaching down to the gear-stick location when the car changes gear :s

Skip to about 1.00mins

Last edited by a moderator:

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1

You can see the flappy paddles. It will be the same setup as most other similar systems, paddles and a stick with D (A), N, R and then you will push the stick to one side and get a + and - for manual mode.

CLIO 2 RS trackcar

First contact ^^

It is in French but the pictures speak for everybody ^^

It is not the RS version of course

it is the "low" version (sorry in French we say "Entrée de gamme" but I dont know how to say that in English)

[video=dailymotion;xsc7ku]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xsc7ku_renault-clio-iv-premiere-rencontre_auto[/video]

Last edited:
  CLIO 2 RS trackcar

"Entry level model" is the best translation for the French "Entrée de gamme"...

But with the air conditioning and several details very correct and nice for an "entry level model" I think

Clio sport 2.0 16v 172ph1

i really dont know how the made the new clio mkiv 5 doors RS ITS A s**t

Not much noticeable turbo noise in that video?

Or is that just me being special?

edit - The goodwood video that is.

Golf GT & A4 Avant

at least with out a manual clutch the mechanically inept won't be destroying gearboxes. I'm quite curious how much strain is managed on full rev shifts. I'd imagine it's been designed to reduce as much as possible

CLIO 2 RS trackcar

In a French video about the version Dci we can see below the Speed's display, 3 not activated clairvoyants but which can maybe serve in the version RS, if I remember well : "Normal", "Sport" and "Race" ^^

CLIO 2 RS trackcar

It is a first revue of a classic (non the RS version) Clio 4 in French sorry, made by members of the French Website & Forum "Clio.com" but the pics are universal ^^

Last edited by a moderator:

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

New clio looks fantastic to me! Both inside and out.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

I love the look of it.

Its a shame the Renaultsport model doesn't have what I look for in a spec sheet.