ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio hayabusa

me and my mate are building it now and its based on a 1.2 clio ( it will be a sleeper ) and you will see it at york next year - pictures of the build will follow.

I assume its gonna be proper stripped inside to make it light enough for an ickle bike engine with no torque? Or am i ignorant to just how insanely powerful the Hayabusa engines are?!?

I think ignorant is the word... They make up any lack of torque by revvin to the moon!

That said white16valver you have seen the way forward... "STRIP IT!"

only problems i can see are gearbox, clutch, lack of reverse and if its gonna by prop driven or chain driven really

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Yerr I would be more inclined to drop twin engines in. Even though the bike has a good hp rating you are gonna bog down through lack of torque initially.

Now drop that single engine into a Fiat 126 and boom, I pocket rocket.

Building a lotus 7 based ZX9R engined thing with one of my mates, you replace the sprocket on the gearbox to allow a prop to be connected and you can buy a reverse gearbox.

Ziel Nurburgring

Personally, the amount of cash it would cost to put that engine in the car would be prohibitive. Changing all the linkages etc, to much effort for an ok result. The engines are the Mac Daddies on a bike, but in a car the weight will mean it would be no where near as good.

Has anyone tried putting a Laguna V6 in the front of thier clio, or strapping on a Supercharger to a valver/Williams engine. Im sure, those would shoe horn in. 1 wheel drive to two, just cant see the how the tranny loss would out weight the benefit......

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Doubt youd fit a 3.0 v6 out a lag or some other powerful thing like a 21T lump in the front of a Clio without chopping the chassis up. Said this on RSC many a time, but get a 21T lump and lob it in the back of a Clio, turbo charged 2 litre 8 valve rwd fun!!!! Itd be mad, easily tuned and extremly dangerous to drive in the wet!

Weight will be a major issue, the 7 is fully lightened, with carbon fibre everywhere, but it seriously shifts! So many kit car companies do the bike engined versions of their cars that finding parts shouldnt be an issue! Gunna be interesting to see how you plan to convert the clio to rear wheel drive! Good luck with the build, Im getting a headache just thinking about it!

How about a Laguna V6 in the back of a Clio! :p

172, Tiguan

Trust me a Hayabusa engine in a stripped clio will really fly. I believe that they are 175 odd bhp. Also should mean sequential gearchange

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 22 October 2003

Trust me a Hayabusa engine in a stripped clio will really fly. I believe that they are 175 odd bhp. Also should mean sequential gearchange
A 172 2.0 got........172 odd bhp. I know the bike engine would be a lot lighter but im not sure whether the rest of the car would be light enough to reap the benefits. It would be fast but you have to keep the revs high. Bike engines are a lot peakier because of having a broader rev range. Gearings gonna be critical.

What about turboing it?. Anything up to 330bhp can be had.

Was just talking to Tom about it..if the clio weighed around 800kg it would have approx 218bhp/ton, a hefty increase over a Clio Cups 170ish per ton. However, as mentioned torques the problem and i would agree with Paul, strap on a turbo, you wouldnt be the first by a long shot so shouldnt be too much of a problem??

-Rob

the problem wold be the gearbox and clutch as it would be just trying to shift toomuch weight if ya got it down to say 600k it might not be too bad.

what rear axel you gonna use ??? what diff ????

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

i would have a chat to radical, and they can give you some advice.

they have experience with the busa engines both na and turbo.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Chris nnic on 22 October 2003

I think that engine is one of the more torquey (is that a word or a place) bike engines
Yup, its got a reasonable amount of torque for a bike lump...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 22 October 2003

only problems i can see are gearbox, clutch, lack of reverse and if its gonna by prop driven or chain driven really
Not an issue...

What do you think they do in Westfields then?!

yes it is an issue as a reversing box adds weight and isnt the best thing to have in the drive train its a weak point also they aint cheap

erm and if you prop drive it then you have to find a rear axel that will fit and also find the correct ratio diff

gearbox and clutch well it weighs more than a 7 style car so its a lot more straign on the gears and the clutch will just burn up

Remember that C1BA has a couple of Nitrous kits on his V6.....maybe these will make an appearance on the Clio Hayabusa?!

Clio Trophy ,EFI'd 5GTT

if u look on turbonutters .com ull find a streaming video of this mk2 in action looks and sounds well mad

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Is this thing gonna be just for thrashing up the strip or are you seriously thinking about using it as a road car? I guess youll be going for perspex windows, plastic panels (if theyre even available) to keep the weight down. I agree with one of the comments about the engine, either strap a blower to the hayabusa engine, or look at fitting two in the car. Obviously this would require a fair amount of thought, but it has been done in the past.

Oh and good luck! I wouldnt even know where to start on fitting a bike engine into a car!:oops:

Please say your going to turbo the engine there a company on the net which sells the kits to get somehting like 440hp out of them at between 8 and 12k or somehting like that. I will have a look for the website address when I get home.

Any chance of a step my step guide to how to do the engine conversion? Would be a interesting read.

How about a twin engined turboed Clio Hayabusa thats even more of a challenger and would be a shockingly fast car on the road with 900 or so HP

EDD

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 22 October 2003

How about a twin engined turboed Clio Hayabusa thats even more of a challenger and would be a shockingly fast car on the road with 900 or so HP
Lets not get carried away! lol

the plan is to cut the rear floor pan out of the car and
fabricate a subframe out of steel then mount the engine
into the subframe and bolt the subframe into the rear
of the car. we have a sierra cosworth rear axle with
a slip diff and all the discs and calipers. you can buy
an adaptor to attach to the main drive off the hayabusa
g/box so we can attach a propshaft onto it and run it
straight to the rear axle. all this will be built into
the rear subframe so you can hoist it in and out in under
1 hour. as for the gear change its dead simple - if you
know how a bike gear box works its just a case off
extending the shifter by about 5 foot and mounting it
vertically in the cockpit. the 1.2 engine and box is
coming out along with the dash and we aim to get the
weight down to about 450 kg ( and it will be road legal )
its dead easy to do and will cost about 3 grand including
the car.

Quote: Originally posted by CB1A on 22 October 2003

the plan is to cut the rear floor pan out of the car and
fabricate a subframe out of steel then mount the engine
into the subframe and bolt the subframe into the rear
of the car. we have a sierra cosworth rear axle with
a slip diff and all the discs and calipers. you can buy
an adaptor to attach to the main drive off the hayabusa
g/box so we can attach a propshaft onto it and run it
straight to the rear axle. all this will be built into
the rear subframe so you can hoist it in and out in under
1 hour. as for the gear change its dead simple - if you
know how a bike gear box works its just a case off
extending the shifter by about 5 foot and mounting it
vertically in the cockpit. the 1.2 engine and box is
coming out along with the dash and we aim to get the
weight down to about 450 kg ( and it will be road legal )
its dead easy to do and will cost about 3 grand including
the car.
Are you using the suspension wishbones from the sierra too? V V heavy!!!

Youz are all mental!! Gas is the way to go- £500 fitted for anything between 25-150bhp at the flick of a switch. You can bring back all those Knight rider-esque Turbo Boosting moments with all manner of arming toggles, microswitches, throttle switches.

Contemplating it on my Cup for sure- 50bhp progressively injected as the revs build- or so Im told

Dootchy do you not know me mate ? I won the cliosport
league this year at york dragway for the fastest clio
V6 clio with 150 bhp nos kit mate. ask around matey.
NOS is ace - but ive already blown one engine up with it
and v6 engines arent cheap. the clio hayabusa will be
fine at 180 bhp. ( 0 - 60 estimate 3.5 - 4.0 sec )
if your at donnington on sunday keep your eyes open
for a v6 with 2 polished steel bottles in the back and black
headlights.