ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio DCI's?

Mate is looking for a new car, since his was broken into and pretty much wrote off last night. He is after a diesel with prefrably with a fairly low mileage(seems he wants it to be under 70k, think hes gonna struggle to find much myself but meh) , urgently. I've been having a look with him today and think he quite fancies a DCI.

Any one know much? Whats the difference between a 65,80 and 100?
What should we look out for if we go to look at one? Any common faults?
Do these too look much good? 2004 RENAULT CLIO 1.5 DCi 65 Dynamique 3dr [AC] Diesel Hatchback 2004 RENAULT CLIO 1.5 DCi 80 Dynamique 3dr [AC] Diesel Hatchback
Any other suggestions? Has to be cheap to insure and he has a bufget of around £3.5k

Cheers in advance.

1.5 Clio Dynamique
They're good cars, have a dynamique 65 and it will easily do 80 on the motorway

the main difference is the bhp 65bhp being the lowest available (but still plenty of power imo) and 80 being......well you catch my drift,

Also the 80 and 100 have intercoolers whereas the 65 does not.

im fairly new to the world of dci so im sorry if i cant be of much help, get over to www.cliodci.net theres loads of info over there

320d
I've never been in a 65 but I have been in an 80 and 100. To be fair the 80 and 100 had surprisingly good performance for what is one of the most economical cars on the road.

Put it this way, there was little in it once rolling between my 1.8 MX5 (Albeit its a 13 year old 115K mile model with a K&N cone filter sucking in ridiculously hot air) and a dci 100.

They're not comparable to a 172 performance wise but they're the best non sport Clio available imo. The non sport petrols are slow, uneconomical and boring.

DCI 80
I've got a a DCI 80 dynamique, bought it for 2.3k with 87k on the clock and a small filing cabinet worth of paperwork, I've loved every minute of it so far. 55Mpg round town and 65 + on long runs and they can pull when they need to, acceleration isnt great but on "private roads" I've had mine up to just under 120Mph and it wasnt complaining to much. If your mate wants a cheap reliable car that can fend of 1.2's and has a solid engine (from what i hear) then its a good bet. Only issue is there is not much to tinker with regarding performance without spending a wedge but in the big picture i think its now £20 a year to tax mine and out of a £70 tank you will get 650+ miles if not more! He will easily pick one up for 3.5k, 03 plates with less than 100k on the clock and FSH in a tidy condition are going for about 2k, they hold there value pretty well.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I have had 5 DCI 65's as company cars so you can imagine how they were driven!

Was doing about 25k miles per year and every mile was giving the car death and not once did the little work horses let me down, totally bullet proof from my experiance!

Discounted 1*2 parts
DCI 80 is the best of the bunch. Good performance (relatively speaking) and the best mpg from the 3 versions. I average 65-70mpg in mine every day driving and can see up 90mpg on a long run

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
turns out it was a build up of carbon in the exhaust system burning out @ 125mph and causing a fire work show out the exhaust all over the motorway

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
65 bhp -
No blue letters in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
No intercooler.
Turbo is a 5435 970 0000 Borg warner K series.
JB3 gearbox pretty much same as 1.6 16v.
Engine codes - K9K 704, K9K 700
OVAL PLATE CB07 (Inside of drivers door)
Standard Turbo Boost Pressure = 1 Bar (14.5psi)
Standard Fuel Pressure = 1400psi
No intercooler

80 bhp -
Blue I in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
Large Intercooler located infront of the radiator.
Injectors 15% more efficient than 65's.
Slightly different turbo to 65 (5435 970 0002 Borg warner K series).
JC5 gearbox pretty much same as 2.0 16v. From 2004 onwards JH3 and JR5 boxes were also fitted.
Engine code - K9K 702
OVAL PLATE CB08
Standard Turbo Boost Pressure = 1.2 Bar (17.4psi)
Standard Fuel Pressure = 1400psi

100 bhp -
Blue CI in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
Small fat intercooler (17% more efficient than 80 ic). Located infront of the radiator at the bottom.
Same injectors as 80.
Same fuel pump as 65 & 80 but runs at 1600 bar
Again, more efficient, variable geometry turbo (5439 970 0030 Borg warner K series)
Different block and head and different injection set up to 65 & 80 with the 100 having a stronger crank, stronger rods and pistons.
Inlets on the head are bigger, different cam and ex manifold.
Gearstick, reverse is down and right as opposed to up and left with the lift.
Gearbox is a JR5 120. (5 Speed box as fitted to petrol lagunas, no renault 6 speed box fits!)
Engine code - K9K 712.
OVAL PLATE CB2G
Standard Turbo Boost Pressure = 1.25 Bar (18.1psi)
Standard Fuel Pressure = 1600psi

Clio 197
i would go for the 100bhp as its alot quicker from 0-60 than the 65bhp or the 80bhp and still cheap as chips to run. £30 a year road tax, really good on fuel, and with a simple remap you can get 130bhp pretty cheap.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
All from the head Martin, all from the head lol

bit off topic, but my post above about the carbon build up burning off, you had much dealings with it? ive googled it but its mostly high millage cars that are suffering from it, however ive never had it flat out for such a long time as i did lastnight, but funny enough that weird lag problem ive been suffering from on and off has dissapeared since?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
is this on ya new gt 106? tbh i havent heard/seen anything like this. tbh the latest k9ks have been pritty good.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yeah gt 106, i usually just take it pretty easy but went for it lastnight because it was quiet just to see what it would top out at and was going for it for a good few minutes, a google search does confirm of a load of diesels doing this any time people are sitting flat out for a few minutes. never saw my 100 doing it though and it was always flat out lol!!

Clio Sport 197
Hey :)
I have a dci 80 and love it! Mpg is bloody awesome and can some months get away with using £40-50 pounds a month on fuel and my last tax for the yr was £20. Fairly nippy for a diesel too!!
Heather