ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio DCi

When the fuel light goes on, roughly how much fuel (litres) is left in the tank? How many miles left do you reckon?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Why do diesels have s**t in the tank? And how does the fuel get out the tank if it's not sucked from the bottom to?

A diesel engine fuel system needs to be bled before the car will run properly, otherwise the air in the pipes just compresses and the fuel will not flow. It is also not a good idea because any crap that is sitting in the bottom of the tank (from the fuel, or from condensation in the tank may be picked up into the fuel system.

The main reason why you shouldn't run diesels out of fuel completely is because you damage the fuel system components.

Diesel injection systems run at very high pressures to very fine tolerances and rely on the fuel for lubrication, if you allow the system to run dry it can have a similar effect (on the injection system) to running your engine wthout oil!.

The reason for the strip down / clean out after running out of fuel is to remove the microscopic swarf that may have resulted from abrasion to fuel pumps etc, before it damages high pessure components such as injectors beyond repair.

i never run mine dry i know our delvery vans are never run below half a tank irc

Last edited:
  Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
You'd be amazed at the crap that comes out of pump fuel. Most diesels that we see come in through work for lack of power are due to blocked fuel filters. I've yet to see a diesel system damaged from running dry though.