ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio dci steering rack for Cup, what year/make?

RS RIP
I was reading Markcup's thread on his quest for loosing weight which never stops :) .
And I think the idea of changing the steeringrack for a non-powersteering one which Mark did is great, and am looking into things to do this aswell.

After asking for the rack here in Holland at the chop-shop they told me these Clio dci racks have the electrical motor-aid ? I'm guessing this is not the one i need.
does anyone know which (dci) steeringrack from what year/make i need ?

My car (172 cup) is having the exhaust manifold (182) done this month so ideally i need to get one asap, as everything is out of the way then anyway !
Mark has told me he was'nt too sure, except for the fact that it was one from a dci.

Hope you can help:approve:

The dci's use the stronger electric racks.

The petrols use the weeker rack but there still fine for the job.

Do a search for conversions I wrote a guide saing how to wire up the electric PAS system.

RS RIP
Re: Clio dci steering rack for Cup, what year/make? Edde?

Thanks Edde

So Dci is a diesel (?) and the ones using the "weaker" racks are the smaller type Clios running on regular fuel ?

Or am i still not getting it :eek: .. I'm after the one without any electric steering-aid

Re: Clio dci steering rack for Cup, what year/make? Edde?

Thanks Edde

So Dci is a diesel (?) and the ones using the "weaker" racks are the smaller type Clios running on regular fuel ?

Or am i still not getting it :eek: .. I'm after the one without any electric steering-aid

dci yep is diesel.

They did an electrica rack on the old 1.9 diesels though if you need any help ie the last shape cars.

the weaker rack just are 45amp vs 60 for the dci ones from memory.

If your looking for cars with no electric assist etc then you want the onlder small engined Clio need to check them all but its the ligher engined stuff.

RS RIP
That is really a big help , thanks again

Do'nt think it's worth it then, have'nt heard any good about the electrical steering aids. Especially on sportcars

That is really a big help , thanks again

Do'nt think it's worth it then, have'nt heard any good about the electrical steering aids. Especially on sportcars

binning the pas system for he electric rack isn't a bad idea its more relable and drains less power form the engine so more economical and powerful.

plus less bits in the engine bay getting in the way.

RS RIP
Allright.. the way he described it is that the car had far more feel tec. like the old cars without any steering-aid/powersteering.. Or i must have misread. Yep all the parts missing was his big advantage, that i can imagine.

I just remember my old Vauxhall 1.4 that i drove for almost 10 years :D , i had it lowered on some pretty good suspensions and without the powersteering on this you were really "one" with the road, great feedback through the wheel.

Are these electrical systems also like this do you think , feeling/ feedback-wise ?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
For the record...mine definitely does not have electrical assistance...nothing whatsoever except for my shoulders turns the front wheels.

I'm sure Fred commented that it looked like an old 16v Valver rack or something.

LY 182
think edde is confused..

the mod in question here is removing the hydraulic pas from the sports

yes you could use a manual rack designed for the purpose, but its like 2.5 turns to each lock

so mark, myself and a few others are using an electric pas rack, just without the electrics plugged up...

that way you get a manual quick rack if you like

RS RIP
think edde is confused..

yes you could use a manual rack designed for the purpose, but its like 2.5 turns to each lock

so mark, myself and a few others are using an electric pas rack, just without the electrics plugged up...

Great ! So any Dci steeringrack will do then , let's say from 2001 - 2003 ?

Thanks Ditz !

LY 182
well, its a rack designed to be used with an electric column..

ie the car it came off, had an electric motor bolted to the column, the rack itself is just a manual rack but the reason its only 1.5 turns to lock (and difficult to steer) is because its supposed to be assisted

172 Race Car
Interesting stuff, i was wondering what the difference was with the number of turns lock to lock.

So what your saying Ditz is that its gonna be 1.5 turns lock to lock? If you use any clio rack that has an electric column?

What is a 172 hydraulic pas rack number of turns?

Has it changed on your mark?

Last edited:
  RS RIP
call me stupid but ; when i go to the scrappies again do i ask for a complete steeringcolomn , or is it just the rack-part that will be available there ?

I'm having difficulties translating this to the dutch guy there where i was asking before...

One more thing Ditz; how does the belt (Mike Rentech said smaller belt is needed?) come into all this, explain how this works if you can please ?

Allright.. the way he described it is that the car had far more feel tec. like the old cars without any steering-aid/powersteering.. Or i must have misread. Yep all the parts missing was his big advantage, that i can imagine.

Are these electrical systems also like this do you think , feeling/ feedback-wise ?
Feedback isn't great but even with hydrolics PAS I dont think its great.
think edde is confused..

I originaly though he means electics pas istead of hydrolic then though he meant none assisted.

Why you'd want the pas withough the electrics plugeed in I've no idea.

call me stupid but ; when i go to the scrappies again do i ask for a complete steeringcolomn , or is it just the rack-part that will be available there ?

One more thing Ditz; how does the belt (Mike Rentech said smaller belt is needed?) come into all this, explain how this works if you can please ?
Its the rack you want.

For the belt there a few fixes the common one is to use another tensioer otherwsie just get a correctly sized aux belt.

LY 182
assuming you have a cup (you need a cup alternator set up with no ac),, then you just use a shorter 5pk (5 rib) 850mm belt...

LY 182
Interesting stuff, i was wondering what the difference was with the number of turns lock to lock.

So what your saying Ditz is that its gonna be 1.5 turns lock to lock? If you use any clio rack that has an electric column?

its the same as with hydraulic pas.. lock to lock wise.

but traditionally a manual rack will be an extra turn either way,, which is no good for track work as you will be forever steering lol

hence the rack thats being used here

172 Race Car

its the same as with hydraulic pas.. lock to lock wise.

but traditionally a manual rack will be an extra turn either way,, which is no good for track work as you will be forever steering lol

hence the rack thats being used here

Thats what i thought. I was a little worried that switching to a manual rack would increase the lock to lock ratio. This sounds perfect, if a little heavy:eek:

Im seriously considering doing this but my mrs might on occasion drive the car and she is a girl you know!