ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio DCI - do I or don't I?

M2 Comp
I'm planning to take my Trophy off the road for a little while next year, whilst I do a few bits to it and just to keep the miles off a bit. So I'm looking for a cheap runabout to use in the meantime and I keep coming back to the Clio DCI's (mk2).

I do about 20k per year, which is costing me around £300-£350 per month in petrol, a DCI should see me saving at least £150 per month on that. Not to mention a saving of over £200 per year on road tax and at least £600 on insurance.

I have now seen one for sale locally, it's a CAT D but that doesn't concern me too much, it's done 74k, has "part" service history with recent cambelt and water pump change, for £1,400.

The money I'd be saving makes it very tempting, but I'm a bit weary in case I get landed with some big bills.... at the price point I'm looking at (£1.5k tops) they aren't necessarily the most cared for examples....

Am I right to be worried? Any thoughts on them appreciated.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
better cars for the money out there mine cost me 1200, its straight, full history, same owner for the last 8yrs, done 20k hastle free miles in the last year, its on 150k but still drives mint and keeps my trophy mint!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
The only big bills on them is the fuel system. The high pressure fuel pumps can fail, and they're expensive to replace (they run off the timing belt too so there's a belt change going to be involved), but then the fuel system is an expensive part of all modern diesels.

It's pretty hit or miss whether or not you'll get a good one, but generally speaking if it struggles on cold starts or the glow plug light stays on constantly then there's probably a fuel system issue there. My first dci 65 was never right from the start (writing it off was a blessing in disguise!) but the dci 100 I have now has ran perfectly for the past 40k miles and is now on 116k.

Besides usual servicing costs and normal maintenance like the odd track rod end or ball joint needing replaced, my only big jobs have been getting the timing belt done and replacing one of the front hub flanges after hitting a big rock that came out the back of a truck lol.

If you're set on one, try and find a dci 80. They're the best balance of performance and economy. They have the cheaper road tax at £20 a year too.

M2 Comp
Sorry guys, missed your replies on this one...!

better cars for the money out there mine cost me 1200, its straight, full history, same owner for the last 8yrs, done 20k hastle free miles in the last year, its on 150k but still drives mint and keeps my trophy mint!

Sounds like you got a good buy there then. There doesn't seem to be many 'good ones' about tbh, even when looking at those priced at 2-2.5k.

As for better cars, any suggestions welcome... :smile:

The only big bills on them is the fuel system. The high pressure fuel pumps can fail, and they're expensive to replace (they run off the timing belt too so there's a belt change going to be involved), but then the fuel system is an expensive part of all modern diesels.

It's pretty hit or miss whether or not you'll get a good one, but generally speaking if it struggles on cold starts or the glow plug light stays on constantly then there's probably a fuel system issue there. My first dci 65 was never right from the start (writing it off was a blessing in disguise!) but the dci 100 I have now has ran perfectly for the past 40k miles and is now on 116k.

Besides usual servicing costs and normal maintenance like the odd track rod end or ball joint needing replaced, my only big jobs have been getting the timing belt done and replacing one of the front hub flanges after hitting a big rock that came out the back of a truck lol.

If you're set on one, try and find a dci 80. They're the best balance of performance and economy. They have the cheaper road tax at £20 a year too.

Doesn't sound as bad as I thought then! What makes changing the fuel pumps expensive? I see you can pick up a remanufatured one for around £250.00. Is it quite labour intensive or/and because you'd need to do the belts too?

I'm thinking about spending less (say £1K) and just spending the rest of my budget replacing a few bits / giving it a good service.

I'm looking at doing his too next year when my work moves 40 miles away 😧

There hard to ignore when you think of the potential savings! Doing 2000 miles per month at 30mpg isn't easy on the wallet....

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Doesn't sound as bad as I thought then! What makes changing the fuel pumps expensive? I see you can pick up a remanufatured one for around £250.00. Is it quite labour intensive or/and because you'd need to do the belts too?

I'm thinking about spending less (say £1K) and just spending the rest of my budget replacing a few bits / giving it a good service.

Its more the fact that if it fails you'll likely need new injectors and to flush the whole system out. I'd say if you got a reconditioned pump for £250 you could get it on the car with a timing belt change for £500-600. So no more than a 1*2 belt and dephaser would cost.

Belts are a lot more simple to do on them though so with a bit of know how you could do it yourself. Removing the pump is probably only an extra half hour job if everything is already off for replacing the belt.

M2 Comp
Its more the fact that if it fails you'll likely need new injectors and to flush the whole system out. I'd say if you got a reconditioned pump for £250 you could get it on the car with a timing belt change for £500-600. So no more than a 1*2 belt and dephaser would cost.

Belts are a lot more simple to do on them though so with a bit of know how you could do it yourself. Removing the pump is probably only an extra half hour job if everything is already off for replacing the belt.

Is the fuel pump very common then? If it is I'd just stick a new one on for peace of mind tbh. Belts I was planning to do anyway. Are the turbos ok generally?

Cheers for all your help :up:

OP where are you located?

I'm in Leicestershire @Daniel but I'd probably travel for the right deal .... have you got one then? :smile:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Is the fuel pump very common then? If it is I'd just stick a new one on for peace of mind tbh. Belts I was planning to do anyway. Are the turbos ok generally?

I'm in Leicestershire @Daniel but I'd probably travel for the right deal .... have you got one then? :smile:
I haven't but a really nice one went through the auction last week. I missed it as I was chatting to a friend I haven't seen for 10 years. I was gutted as that's what I went down to get! lol

It's on eBay, a black Dci 80. Up for £1495 in Devon.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=181598400137

M2 Comp
I haven't but a really nice one went through the auction last week. I missed it as I was chatting to a friend I haven't seen for 10 years. I was gutted as that's what I went down to get! lol

It's on eBay, a black Dci 80. Up for £1495 in Devon.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=181598400137

I'd of took that off your hands, 100%.

Looks like it may have sold as the listing has been removed. I'll drop him a quick message anyway.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'd of took that off your hands, 100%.

Looks like it may have sold as the listing has been removed. I'll drop him a quick message anyway.
Had loads of service history.

He paid £850 for it plus auction duty. ;-)

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

I wouldn't say it's common enough to use it as a factor against buying one, but it's definitely worth keeping an eye out for signs of any problems. I've never stuck a new one on mine, but that's partly because I couldn't afford to do it with the belts and they were overdue at the time. As for turbo's, lack of servicing is all that'll cause problems with those. Regular oil changes through it's life and they should be fine.

Oh, the EGR system is shocking on them. Never heard of a working EGR valve yet, but 99% just unplug it anyway lol!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive never had fuel pump issues or any fuel system issues so far touch wood.

only issues I had was a 170k mile dci 65 whos gearbox shat it, looks like it had never had an oil change.

my current one is that good a runner im trying to find somewhere to keep it as im going to look at a few R26's this week but don't want to sell the clio as its too handy to keep for the sake of a grand!