ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 4 RS VS Fiesta ST EcoBoost

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
hahydusa.jpg

They have the numbers mixed up but you can see what's what.

320d
If I was in the market for a small hot hatch at the minute my money would go on the Fiesta over the EDC. It has 22lbft more, a manual gearbox and three doors.

If I may turn this discussion back to Clio for a while, which color would you choose - black or white? (All others are ruled out for various reasons.) I much prefer darker colors but I'm afraid that black would hide a lot of details. White doesn't have this problem and would also be easier to keep up I guess but it just looks too plain to me (it feels like a basic, cheap color).

Opinions?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The Clio 4 actually looks good in Black. Moreso because it hides the imperfections in styling. The Rs will look okay in either but as an enthusiast detailer Black simply isn't an option.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, shows every mark up. I'd go crazy within days.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Black all the way :) b**ch to keep clean but looks the must nuts for at least 10 seconds before you see the dust start to settle.
White would have been good if you could colour the door, grill and defuser inserts, but later down the line when you get bored and decide to add colour black goes with anything :D

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Chris Harris reviews the ST this Wednesday on Drive.

Should be a cracker considering he's already reviewed it in print and loved it.

Chris Harris reviews the ST this Wednesday on Drive. Should be a cracker considering he's already reviewed it in print and loved it.

Link? I am aware of a post on PistonHeads where he compares it to the old 205 GTi and I certainly wouldn't say he "loved it". Did he review it anywhere else?

S2H

RS Clio 200
Actually that picture up there is technically correct. In the eyes of ford what we call the mk7 is actually the mk6 officially. As they call the mk5 a mk4 facelift.

Ah yes I've seen his tweets (even asked him in reply which hatch he considered more fun but without a response). I thought he'd written a lengthier Fiesta ST review somewhere already.

Anyway, I'm ordering my Clio RS tomorrow despite the reviews, I simply loved that car.

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)

He seems to like it.

​Delivery of mine can't come soon enough.

Everything he says sounds incredibly forced, I don't believe him at all. Not to say he is wrong though, it just sounds like he's making it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
Well, I have driven the new Clio!

As some of you may know, I was a big defender of Renault's new Clio, I really thought it was what I wanted, a grown up RS. I have now decided I will not be buying one. Instead the Mrs is going to be having a VW up (dont ask) and I am keeping the PH1 and having a uk based company turn it into a turbo toy.

I'm not going to dribble on about the drive and describe what I though. The reason I was turned off was actually because of the box. In manual mode its great, but after 5 mins on the road I was already bored of the flappy paddles and so carried on in automatic...this is where the car lost me. 90-99% of the time you will drive it as an automatic. I don't like automatic cars, I slow down using the gears when i predict traffic lights etc, I was left feeling very redundant when letting the car do its own thing. Yes on track the flappy paddles will be great.

Chassis felt great, really really compliant. Felt like a really well damped car on the road, compared to my Ph1 it was a joy to plod through Amsterdam's crappy roads. yet when giving it some beans on a slip road it held the road very well and felt very taught.

One thing i hated was visibility. I could not see the nose of the car, you can't even see the bonnet!! You see the bottom of the screen and that's it. Yeah you would get used to it, but it bugged me.

I was wrong about the box though, it don't fit in the car. :(

John Gordon: Great to see some real-life impressions here! I drove about 50km with this Clio and was not bored in the manual mode so I guess it all depends on how you want to use the car. I agree that if I found myself in auto mode all the time this car would not be for me either.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
John Gordon: Great to see some real-life impressions here! I drove about 50km with this Clio and was not bored in the manual mode so I guess it all depends on how you want to use the car. I agree that if I found myself in auto mode all the time this car would not be for me either.

Its a great car don't get me wrong. And the gearbox works fantastic, I even thought the downshifts were more than quick enough and the little pop from the exhaust was cool as. But for everyday use I could not see me using the paddles, just did not feel "normal". My left leg did not know what to do with its self.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I've only ever driven one auto, the people in the car pissed themselves everytime i kicked the floor and went for the gear lever :eek:

Its a great car don't get me wrong. And the gearbox works fantastic, I even thought the downshifts were more than quick enough and the little pop from the exhaust was cool as. But for everyday use I could not see me using the paddles, just did not feel "normal". My left leg did not know what to do with its self.

You need to play more racing games using a wheel with paddles :)

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
You need to play more racing games using a wheel with paddles :)

Errm, currently playing raceroom racing experience, project cars and the tech preview for Asetto Corsa, since around 2005-2006 been playing GTR, GTR2, Race07/GTR Evo, Rfactor, Ricahrd Burns Rally and even Dirt 3. First I had a logitech DFP, then a G25 which broke so currently use a G27.

Little vid with plenty of left foot action to prove my claims.

Been rallying since the day I passed my test, first on Road rallies (night rallies) then ventured onto single venue events. Done my fair share of track work in many different cars.

I can brake perfectly fine with my left foot! Hurtling towards an apex is completely different than driving down the shops. Yes you could train yourself to drive like this all the time but in the 20 mins I had in the Clio it felt very strange. I Could get used to it, but I don't fancy paying 28000 Euros to find out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I did not mean to suggest you have little experience or anything. I just know that I play a lot of rally games using my G27 wheel and actively using paddles all the time (never use the auto mode) and driving the Clio R.S. felt natural - maybe because I'm used to that sort of changing gears. As for the left foot braking, I did not dare to try it in a real car though I always use that technique in games.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
Interesting watch. Obviously there is a back to back coming very soon. Will be a great watch. I don't know which way he's going to go, I think he feels restricted by the ford on track.. however the box in the Clio pains him. I think he will plum for the Ford.

I have not driven the fiesta, however so far based of other peoples road tests and with some experience of the clio..

Chassis goes to Renault, its both compliant on the road (first hand experience) with a lovely ride yet very stable and yet it works on track with the clever valving on the dampers. Ford crashy on road and not as free on track (confirmed by Chris in both his tests)

Engine goes to ford. Key word Torque. Clio felt breathless on track due to narrow power band. (Chris, I drove Clio on road)

Gearbox..... Nuff said.

Looks. Each to his own really, neither are what you would call lookers. Grill on ford is hit or miss, Clio looks good from like.. one angle.

Trim, never thought I would say this but I think the Clio looks the better trimmed car, seats in Ford look sportive but in my opinion a little too large. No doubt ford is screwed together a lot better. I don't care what anyone on here says the Clio felt very good for a Renault, they have come a long way, the materials felt nice and not cheap and things felt solid. But I fear longevity because of past history. I think this is hard to pick a winner.

Money.. The big one. Ford is cheaper and I feel will hold its value longer than the Clio. This is what I think will swing the test, this is why I think the winner will be the Ford.

All my opinion based on both a 20 min test drive of the Clio and various videos of both the Clio and the Fiesta.

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Looking forward to al these turbo hatches being released for a couple of years or so, with loads of upgrades available and will be cheap enough to run as a daily and punch well above there weight with a few power upgrades...

i would still choose Clio as it stands tho... Just coz I like the idea of the Edc. :eek: