ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200 vs Corsa VXR @ The Nurburgring

R27
I've had a quick search so I don't think it's a repost. Gives a good idea of how they match up against each other in standard form.

[youtube]E4V9yxYJ8sM[/youtube]

200 Gordini
Been a big discussion about this on Clio197/200.net.. Seems the Corsa forum had a rant about it too lol

Nippy white cup
8.47 bgt is nothing to be sniffed at especially with a slight hold up on a fast section of the track where they would have made up a lot of time

Chris

182 Trophy
Corsa is quick. Look just after the cones when the corsa boots it. It Does leave the 200 briefly! But having seen other videos of these two cars on track the Clio is way better in the corners, just looks more at home on a track.

Have alot of respect for the VXR cars but just not my cup of tea :)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Will watch at home. In reality the ring is so so difficult! It's 75% down to the driver. The number of geman plated 318's and GTi golfs that past me was insane, they know the track so well. Knowledge is truely king!

Golf GTD Mk7
the 200 looks miles better in the corners. Might be the driver, but I doubt it. Cornering isn't usually a VXR characteristic. I'm suprised the 200 didn't start clawing back at the vxr when it was getting top end. Very evenly matched though.

On a seperate note, there is a lot of tyre squeel from the 200. Crap tyres as standard? Never really got much tyre squeel with pe2's or r888's when really pushing in mine. I did notice when driving the 200 that the tyres didn't seem great. 200 owners care to share?

Last edited:
  Swift Sport
Will watch at home. In reality the ring is so so difficult! It's 75% down to the driver. The number of geman plated 318's and GTi golfs that past me was insane, they know the track so well. Knowledge is truely king!

+1 ...The Scot tells it like it is.

If both cars were driven by Nurburgring legends I'd imagine the Clio would edge it, Corsa wouldn't be far behind though.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
its funny cos the vxr crew could have either car cos there both very good in different ways but i bet most clio owners wouldnt own a vxr. ive never driven a vxr but i have owned a vauxhall and they are drab even with a halfords body kit on. id take a 200 imo.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
That Corsa definately has the legs on the straights, no question. So much for the extra 200 torques huh? :)
Be also interesting to see the roles reversed, 200 in front OPC/VXR behind........

172 Cup
That Corsa definately has the legs on the straights, no question. So much for the extra 200 torques huh? :)
Be also interesting to see the roles reversed, 200 in front OPC/VXR behind........

+ 1 yeah that would be interesting to see how the vaux would get on

Nas

Eunos Roadster
Cool vid, good car control from both drivers, looks like they were both pushing it.

I feel it is easier to chase form behind than lead from the front if you dont know the track, but not sure if that was the case, as they were both really pushing on, which must mean they must have some familiarity with the track

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
But equally neither are on the ragged edge so you cant really take much from the video other than they are pretty competative..

Audi A3 S-line
I'm surprised the Corsa doesn't seem to be able to pull away all that much on the straights with all the extra torque. The Clio looks far superior in the corners. If they were doing individual timed laps the extra speed the Clio carries would more than make up for the little it loses out on the straights, the Clio has to back off several times because the Corsa doesn't corner as fast!

Corsa's have obviously come a long way since I used to have one in terms of handling! But I don't like the VXR image. The Clio looks race track driver and has the Renaultsport pedigree, the Corsa looks like a car park racer. Good video.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Clio looks nicely composed in the corners and is all over the Corsa.

Both drivers look commited to the cause.:cool:

Rusty Cup
Test drove a corsa vxr before i got my clio and hated everything apart from the looks and the seats :) feedback through the steering wheel was shocking, clutch felt horribly light, gearbox was devoid of feeling.

Golf GTD Mk7
Test drove a corsa vxr before i got my clio and hated everything apart from the looks and the seats :) feedback through the steering wheel was shocking, clutch felt horribly light, gearbox was devoid of feeling.

so you bought a clio ;) At least you got the 182. Only issue I had with the 200 was the steering being too light and the tyres. Very capable chassis though. Much more stable than the 1*2s

Not a 320d
Is it wrong that I actually like the look of the VXR?

Good to see that video, im suprised at how well each car does. Wonder that the corsa is like to drive. My GT is awful, gearbox, clutch, steering rack are a big let down. I know its a bog standard clio basically. Definately want something a bit better built next time. Hoping the Meganne 250 will be of reasonable price in 2 years time.

TRACK CAR BREAKING
my mate has just got a corsa vxr racing!
we were wondering which is faster..
vxr or 182.. were both going nurberg in march so we shall see then :)

Skoda fabia Vrs
Thats a very good video and the clio is amazing through the corners! Corsa doesnt really get away at all tbh!

Mini Cooper S
The VXR & 200 looked very even. Don't know why everyone is saying how amazing the Clio is through the corners. If it's so amazing...it should've got past! However the test is still unfair. Different driver skills etc..

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
It is clear from the video that the Corsa is more twitchy and less sure footed in the handling dept, which is why people have made the comments above:star:

182cup & 172 racecar
Good vid of two cars having a chase,thats all.Corsa lines through some of the bends are awful thats why the Clio seems to catch up,and of course the Corsa will get away down the straights,he's first out the bends.Still,looks not a lot in it anyway.

182cup & 172 racecar
It is clear from the video that the Corsa is more twitchy and less sure footed in the handling dept, which is why people have made the comments above:star:

For all you know the Clio might be twitching about,you can't see it can you.

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
I would expect to see the movement and twitchy corrections from the camera footage if it was unsettled, there was not any that I could see?

When I used to do track days it was easily visible from in-car footage when a car was unsettled....

182 Trophy
Fifth gear did a test a while ago between a 197 and corsa
Vxr round cadwell both with tiff driving. The Clio thrashed the corsa by over 1.5 seconds I think it was. Over one lap that's a hell of a difference! Diff track than the ring obv but I'm pretty sure the Clio would out handle the corsa whatever the situation

Clio 172
As I said the vid proves nothing,but nothing handles like a Clio we all know that.

It proves that the Clio can outhandle a VXR to gain speed into the straights but the VXR pulls alot harder and better than the Clio but looses time in the corners!