ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 - Engine Written Off - What are my options?

PH1 172 (Track Car)
Hey,
So I have a Clio 197 (08 plate) with only 48,000 miles and fsh. Last night the engine decided to kill itself and put a whole in the side of the block and sump. Not good, and certainly not expected with a car that has been fully maintained and has fairly low miles.

The AA towed me to a garage and they are now trying to work out why it happened. However, one thing is for sure, the engine is knackered and I need a new one.

So, what are my options here?

Are 197 engines readily available and what sort of money would a recon engine be?

Would I be better off just cutting my loses here and selling the car as it is? If so, what is it worth as it is?

Any opinions are always welcome.

Cheers

Ben

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Breaking it will net you more cash but it is messing about and you have it sat around looking s**t for a while.

Re-engine if you like the car or sell it on entirely

PH1 172 (Track Car)
Break it mate. Try RenParts for an engine.
I dont really have the time to break it and cant really be bothered to get into all that messing around.

Get a Rs Megane engine put in it!

Guessing that will be a more expensive route :)

Breaking it will net you more cash but it is messing about and you have it sat around looking s**t for a while.

Re-engine if you like the car or sell it on entirely

Yes, defo dont want to get into breaking - too much messing around.

PH1 172 (Track Car)
Is it common for the 197 engines to go pop at fairly low miles? Still trying to understand why it happened :s

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Sadly, yes... they are a pain in the ass of a car IMO

I'd buy it but you're a bit too far off for me really.

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Id Upgrade to a megane engine. But that's purely because I've got the time to do it. Saying that I'm sure there's some knob that's written off a 200 or 197 and sold it to a breakers. The similar or same engine will be easier to refit and it's always worth it to sort them out.

Clio 200
Faster piston speed than a F1 engine IIRC?
Not far off. Assuming 18,000rpm on the 39.8mm stroke V8's = 23.88m/s. So you'd need to run the Clio up to 7700rpm to match it (23.87m/s).
I've always read that once you go beyond 25m/s then that's when things get really stressed.

PH1 172 (Track Car)
Sadly, yes... they are a pain in the ass of a car IMO

I'd buy it but you're a bit too far off for me really.
Well at least I know thats its not just me that has had a bad experience with this engine... I dont know why but somehow that helps - ha!

What sort of value do you think its worth as it stands?

The garage that have it are going to look into some options for me but yes, I think I may give these guys a ring as I am still trying to decided whether I like the car enough to repair it and whether its financially viable.

I know of someone selling an engine. Want me to get you their number? @slowRen

Thanks for the offer mate but, if I do go down that route I think I would want to buy from someone that can provide some sort of warranty with the engine.

Id Upgrade to a megane engine. But that's purely because I've got the time to do it. Saying that I'm sure there's some knob that's written off a 200 or 197 and sold it to a breakers. The similar or same engine will be easier to refit and it's always worth it to sort them out.

Would upgrading to a meganne engine work out much more than putting back a 197 engine? I have to say, the more I read the less confidence I have in the original engine :confused:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I wouldn't say it's a "common" issue, certainly not in this country. I've seen a few reports of failures but they seem to be in hotter climates

I've had two so far and once warm get used properly. Probably stuck over 60k between them.

SPV

197 Cup
I've just gone and got a 197 cup, this doesn't sound good after all the gear box trouble I've read about, I'll be keeping an eye on your progress, hope it all works out good in the end!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I've just gone and got a 197 cup, this doesn't sound good after all the gear box trouble I've read about, I'll be keeping an eye on your progress, hope it all works out good in the end!

Just make sure you have some mechanical sympathy, let the car warm up before driving enthusiastically and it wouldn't hurt to learn to heel and toe, then the box should be fine

Clio 2.0 16v 182
The Megane option is going to be more expensive. You'd have to custom make all the engine mounts and get a Megane gearbox, driveshafts and any other compatible

PH1 172 (Track Car)

Thanks man... Ill try and keep this thread updated and let you know how I get on.

Just make sure you have some mechanical sympathy, let the car warm up before driving enthusiastically and it wouldn't hurt to learn to heel and toe, then the box should be fine

I always warmed her up first before any spirited driving. I guess I just got unlucky.

... Parts. The 197-200 swap means you have minimal work to do and less money to be spent

Yes, that is what I would have expected. Prob not worth considering the meganne route then.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I wouldn't say it's a "common" issue, certainly not in this country. I've seen a few reports of failures but they seem to be in hotter climates

I've had two so far and once warm get used properly. Probably stuck over 60k between them.

It is becoming more and more common Gaz, especially on the ones that have had a hard life. You have to drive them a bit too hard to get the best from them IMO which I don't think the F4 is really built for. I had two Laguna II's, one brand new, and neither really ever let me down... They were still a s**t car which destroyed faith in the Laguna brand.

PH1 172 (Track Car)
Hey Guys,

Just thought that I would update this thread.

So after few calculations in regards to engine replacement costs and the amount of hours I would have to pay the garage for labor it still worked out that I would better off getting the car fixed.

So, I managed to find an engine with 53,000 miles on the clock (so pretty close to the original that was 48000) for a half decent price. On top of that I had to get the cambelt done again as I had no idea whether or not the replace engine had had it done. It also made sense to do it now as the garage said that its easier and therefore slightly cheaper to do it whilst the engine is out of the car.

I also had fresh oil (obviously), a new water pump and the air-con serviced. In all it came to around 2 grand and the car has been back on the road for about 3 weeks now with no problems.

I now need to make up my mind whether to keep the car or sell it on.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Hey Guys,

Just thought that I would update this thread.

So after few calculations in regards to engine replacement costs and the amount of hours I would have to pay the garage for labor it still worked out that I would better off getting the car fixed.

So, I managed to find an engine with 53,000 miles on the clock (so pretty close to the original that was 48000) for a half decent price. On top of that I had to get the cambelt done again as I had no idea whether or not the replace engine had had it done. It also made sense to do it now as the garage said that its easier and therefore slightly cheaper to do it whilst the engine is out of the car.

I also had fresh oil (obviously), a new water pump and the air-con serviced. In all it came to around 2 grand and the car has been back on the road for about 3 weeks now with no problems.

I now need to make up my mind whether to keep the car or sell it on.
What's happened to your old engine? As in where is it now! Lol

PH1 172 (Track Car)
What's happened to your old engine? As in where is it now! Lol
The old engine is still at the garage. When they get time they are going to strip it down and try to discover why it decided to destroy itself.
Why do you ask?

Ben

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The old engine is still at the garage. When they get time they are going to strip it down and try to discover why it decided to destroy itself.
Why do you ask?

Ben
I might be interested in salvaging some parts off it if they're not monster fucked buddy. Let me know and get pics if you can of it all.